Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PC Issue (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709702)

GrimUpNorth 16-01-2021 21:11

PC Issue

Hi Everyone

Sorry for the vague thread title but not sure how else to describe it!!

PC will sort of boot - I see the Asus logo as usual then within seconds the screen just goes blank. While the Asus logo is on I can press F2 and enter the bios but within maybe 20 seconds or so the screen goes blank - so not really long enough to look around for anything wrong!. No POST errors and after the screen goes blank all fans seem to still be spinning as normal.

The main use of the machine is as a Plex server which has dropped off the network so looks like it's something maybe a bit more than a dodgy graphics card :(.

Any suggestions?

Paul 17-01-2021 00:50

Re: PC Issue

Sounds like maybe its failing to boot the OS (so could be HD related).
That said, if you are in the bios, it should not try and boot until you exit.

Does it have onboard graphics you can use ?

If its old, you might just want to think about a getting cheap new one.

Jimmy-J 17-01-2021 02:36

I can think of a couple of things it could be...

Firstly is everything seated properly in the motherboard? GFX card/RAM/sound/Network card/etc. and are all cables connected firmly?.

I'd unplug all cables and peripherals that aren't needed when booting the PC.

One of the most common issues is heat, Overheating, Is the fan on the CPU heatsink working as it should be? It might be going around, but is it working at its optimum RPM? It may need a clean, or a fresh drop of thermal paste on the CPU.

Try connecting the monitor through another port, VGA/DVI/HDMI or DP

Also are the fans on the GPU doing their job?

Could be a failing CMOS battery? Is the date and time correct when you enter the BIOS?

Could be a faulty stick of RAM or motherboard/GPU

heero_yuy 17-01-2021 08:57

Power supply is probably going belly up. If you can see into it are the capacitors bulging at the tops?

GrimUpNorth 17-01-2021 10:20

Thanks everyone. I'll get it on the bench today. Maybe I'll be able to get it get it going otherwise I'll have to go shopping for some bits and build a new one (this could be the excuse I've been waiting for). Just looking back apart from upgrading and adding HDD's it's 12 years old this year so doesn't owe us anything.

Jaymoss 17-01-2021 10:48

PSU failing or power on the mobo switching

I guess you need to rule out the GFX and the Screen also. One thing you do not say is if the machine completes boot without the screen? do you have a log in pin? if so give the system time to boot to that and try the pin. Plex will then show on the network. If it is not booting with no image then I still think it could be PSU. Is it discrete graphics? if it is does the board and cpu have onboard gfx to test? do you have another screen or even your TV?

GrimUpNorth 17-01-2021 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36066963)
PSU failing or power on the mobo switching

I guess you need to rule out the GFX and the Screen also. One thing you do not say is if the machine completes boot without the screen? do you have a log in pin? if so give the system time to boot to that and try the pin. Plex will then show on the network. If it is not booting with no image then I still think it could be PSU. Is it discrete graphics? if it is does the board and cpu have onboard gfx to test? do you have another screen or even your TV?

Good call - forgot about the pin, will give it a try.