Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Lifetime timeshift disappearing? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707417)

cheekyangus 21-02-2019 12:31

Lifetime timeshift disappearing?

I seem to have stumbled across a channel closure whilst looking for schedule information.

Lifetime+1 on 225 has "Channel No Longer Available" on the EPG from 6am on the 6th March.

I believe the HD main channel has disappeared on Sky recently, but VM still have it, and still have listings for HD on this date.

Bit odd. I could understand a channel number change given its position. Maybe axing +1 on VM is a cost saving measure to keep HD variant going, since VM is an all HD network now?

cheekyangus 04-03-2019 12:36

Re: Lifetime timeshift disappearing?

I know Media Boy has said about the on-screen notification of this now showing on another thread. But the wording used is interesting.

It says Lifetime HD will still be available on channel 209. This raises a few questions.
Why single out the HD variant rather than mention both?
Why only mention the HD variant when it isn't available on as many TV packages?

To me this suggests the HD version is going to be the only version available on VM soon. And this may in turn mean either the availability of the channel overall is going to decrease, or increase for the HD version by moving it to a lower package level.

garethf1927 07-03-2019 20:38

It's gone on all platforms.

Raider999 08-03-2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garethf1927 (Post 35985635)
It's gone on all platforms.

No loss, if you want it record it and watch when you want- no limitation to +1 hour then

OLD BOY 09-03-2019 02:26

This is hardly newsworthy. Does this even deserve a thread? Has the abolition of this +1 channel actually ruined lives?

cheekyangus 09-03-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35985791)
This is hardly newsworthy. Does this even deserve a thread? Has the abolition of this +1 channel actually ruined lives?

If we go down that route nothing is newsworthy regarding TV, it's not a hospital closure, or a car accident. This is a Cable Forum, things that happen on Cable get reported and discussed here.

I have no interest in the channel content whatsoever. The reason I started the thread was that I thought it odd that, at the time of writing the first post, what was happening to the channel on Sky appeared to be different than on VM. One had its HD variant axed, the other a +1. I was thinking about it in the context of platform strategy for an individual channel and all channels in general. They are businesses, and I was wondering about their decision reasoning.

And given there is a Coming Soon thread but not a Closing Soon one, and since it hadn't been mentioned here on Cable Forums (to my knowledge, I wouldn't post if I knew it had been said before) I thought I'd be helpful and mention it. It's easier to notice it with an individual thread. It got 400 views before there was even a 2nd post, so there was interest, even if it was just vague curiousity.

Maggy 09-03-2019 12:17

Yes let's please apply common courtesy to others.

OLD BOY 01-05-2019 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35985808)
If we go down that route nothing is newsworthy regarding TV, it's not a hospital closure, or a car accident. This is a Cable Forum, things that happen on Cable get reported and discussed here.

I have no interest in the channel content whatsoever. The reason I started the thread was that I thought it odd that, at the time of writing the first post, what was happening to the channel on Sky appeared to be different than on VM. One had its HD variant axed, the other a +1. I was thinking about it in the context of platform strategy for an individual channel and all channels in general. They are businesses, and I was wondering about their decision reasoning.

And given there is a Coming Soon thread but not a Closing Soon one, and since it hadn't been mentioned here on Cable Forums (to my knowledge, I wouldn't post if I knew it had been said before) I thought I'd be helpful and mention it. It's easier to notice it with an individual thread. It got 400 views before there was even a 2nd post, so there was interest, even if it was just vague curiousity.

Sorry, I guess I was having a bad day! :erm:

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35992901)
Sorry, I guess I was having a bad day! :erm:

No worries. We all have those :)