Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

General Maximus 13-05-2022 19:05

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

The Northman: 2/10

The less said about it the better. Just watch Vikings instead, it is a million times better.

Stephen 13-05-2022 19:20

You must be a minority there, I really enjoyed it and also 7.7/10 on IMDB and 89% rotten tomatoes.

So most others did too.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 19:49

I honestly wanted to turn it off after 10 minutes and I kept going in 10 minute chunks hoping it would get better. The problem is that you can't help but compare to it Vikings and it fails in every respect. It lacks the scale, the story and everything else that Vikings does. The guy is supposed to be a king and the bulk of the film is spent on a farm. All the fight scenes felt overly choreographed and sluggish. Again, if that is all we ever had we wouldn't know better but I have seen it done better 1000 times in Vikings. People can argue that I shouldn't be comparing the two but it is only natural when you choose to make a film about Vikings and there has been a tv series around for the last 10 years. If I was making a film I would be aware of the comparison and be telling everyone we need to do it as good as Vikings and better.

Stephen 13-05-2022 20:03

Is Vilings accurate though or is it glammed up for TV? I've never seen it.

The Northman feels more visceral and looks gritty like you'd expect the era to be. They would likely be big brawls with big hits but because they were bigger its likely to seem slower. From the reviews I glanced over most were impressed by the look and feel of the film and how it draws you in.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 20:23

I believe it is historically accurate with regards to characters, locations and events. The problem a lot of people have is the time line. They condense hundreds of years of history into years and a couple of decades. That is why they ended Vikings and brought in Vikings Valhalla. It allowed them to do a significant time jump and move onto something new.

Dude111 14-05-2022 04:07

I last saw SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) on VHS :)

10/10

Disneys best movie!!

Chris 14-05-2022 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36122318)
I last saw SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) on VHS :)

10/10

Disneys best movie!!

:erm:

General Maximus 14-05-2022 09:34

I have never heard of it so I have just looked it up and I had this as well growing up (in the 90s) but it wasn't called Song of the South, it was called Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. They must have changed the name at some point.

Stephen 14-05-2022 09:58

Always been called song of the South. Its a film Disney wish to forget. Its almost been erased from existence.

Chris 14-05-2022 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36122328)
I have never heard of it so I have just looked it up and I had this as well growing up (in the 90s) but it wasn't called Song of the South, it was called Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. They must have changed the name at some point.

It’s the one that never gets shown on TV any more, and isn’t available on Disney+, because it depicts slavery in the southern US as basically fine, because the slaves were mostly happy, and employs dialogue that turns its black characters into parodies.

It was also never released on VHS in the USA so I’m curious how truthful our resident retro American got his copy from.

Damien 14-05-2022 14:34

It would be interesting to see it from a historic perspective.

General Maximus 14-05-2022 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36122332)
It was also never released on VHS in the USA so I’m curious how truthful our resident retro American got his copy from.

Who said i lived in the US?

cimt 14-05-2022 14:53

He's on about Dude. I'm sure he's just trolling us all at this point.

General Maximus 14-05-2022 15:04

Ah ok

Jaymoss 26-05-2022 00:52

Memory with Liam Neeson, Guy Pearce and Monica Bellucci. Decent enough movie worth a watch 7:10