Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Security & Virus Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Norton and Malwarebytes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711102)

Rillington 11-06-2022 14:57

Norton and Malwarebytes

A few days ago Norton 360 stopped working and it ended up being because Malwarebytes was also on my machine, despite it being the free version which only runs when i tell it to, meaning that there is no clash.

The reason I have both is because as I understand it, Norton scans for viruses, adware and spyware whereas Malwarebytes scans for malware. In other words, each looks for different things. However I took some independent advice which said that Norton 360 now also looks for malware.

Therefore I was wondering whether I need Malwarebytes in addition to Norton and if both programmes now do look for the same malware.

And also, if I was to turn on Malwarebytes would Malwarebytes also look for viruses and spyware which would mean that I could potentially get rid of Norton?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

daveeb 11-06-2022 15:08

Re: Norton and Malwarebytes

Normally the free Malwarebytes is "on demand" only so there are no conflicts at all (or at least there shouldn't be). Perhaps it has given you a trial of the paid version which runs actively and so may be clashing with Norton.

Malwarebytes premium would (in my opinion) be a better option than Norton. Personally I use Avast free (which is OK but a bit prone to scare tactics to get you to upgrade), Malwarebytes free and Win patrol (also free) which monitors changes to the registry etc.

alanbjames 11-06-2022 15:09

In all my years in the IT Business I refuse to use any Norton Product.

SnoopZ 11-06-2022 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36124976)
In all my years in the IT Business I refuse to use any Norton Product.

Norton is said to be ok now, but Avast is another story I wouldn't install that crap on a PC these days.

Jaymoss 11-06-2022 17:31

Yeah you have to keep up with the times Alan old bean. Bit Defender and Norton come up tops of a lot of tests and in some even Mcafee do ok

At present I am just running bog standard M$ Defender with a fortnightly online scan with ESET. A lot of the avs do cloud scanning now so are as pretty much as upto date as can be and I am careful enough

SnoopZ 11-06-2022 18:58

I reactived the free 6 month Bitdefender trial, no point changing from that for me as it does the job even though I can get Malware bytes premium free via my bank.

Jaymoss 11-06-2022 19:06

Malwarebytes as an AV does not do well. I have a lifetime key for it but only use it for malware. That and RKill have saved a number of machines in the past

Maggy 11-06-2022 20:23

Eset for me.

Paul 11-06-2022 21:15

Norton, McAfee etc will never get near a PC I run.

Windows defender is really all you need, plus you could run the free MalwareBytes now and then.

Rillington 12-06-2022 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36124975)
Normally the free Malwarebytes is "on demand" only so there are no conflicts at all (or at least there shouldn't be). Perhaps it has given you a trial of the paid version which runs actively and so may be clashing with Norton.

Malwarebytes premium would (in my opinion) be a better option than Norton. Personally I use Avast free (which is OK but a bit prone to scare tactics to get you to upgrade), Malwarebytes free and Win patrol (also free) which monitors changes to the registry etc.

That's the point - there are no conflicts because I only run Malwarebytes when i feel the need to do a malware scan, and also I do it offline so reduce the likelihood of any conflict.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36125013)
Norton, McAfee etc will never get near a PC I run.

Windows defender is really all you need, plus you could run the free MalwareBytes now and then.

I use a Mac so Windows Defender isn't an option.

I consider Norton to be the less worse than McAfee. I don't fully trust it as there always seem to be issues with it of one form or another.

Paul 12-06-2022 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36125050)
I use a Mac so Windows Defender isn't an option.

Mac Defender ?

Mr K 12-06-2022 17:44

I had Avast once. Nothing but trouble with false positives and slowing the pc down.
Just use the Windows AV now with the free Malwarebytes, light touch and does the job.

Rillington 20-06-2022 14:12

from what people can gather, does Norton now also scan for malware?

Jaymoss 20-06-2022 16:37

yes

Rillington 27-06-2022 14:04

thank you for the reply jaymoss.

In your view, are Norton's malware scans are as comprehensive as Malwarebytes and should I continue ti use both programems to scan for malware?