Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Do movie audiences today have lower expectations? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711060)

Dude111 22-05-2022 00:31

I think they do...... They have been so conditioned and dumbed down they think crap is good!!!

Its very sad...

admars 22-05-2022 09:02

Re: Do movie audiences today have lower expectations?

no, I think with the cinema being as expensive as it is, people have higher expectations, especially when it comes to special effects in big hollywood blockbusters.

if it's a thriller, or courtroom drama, I think a lot of people are less likely to see that at cinema, with home systems being so good, and films being available at home so good, but they expect the high caliber of acting you see in films and TV.

Comedies as well, ppl want to be entertained and made to laugh.

I think you're asking the wrong question:

Do film companies take less risks and just churn out lots of similar films knowing that's what sells, and have low expectations of their audiences?

With so much quality content out there, ppl are more choosy I think about what they watch.

Dude111 22-05-2022 09:17

Ya you could be right......I dont like the sound in cinemas now! (That digital sound is loud and aweful)

Halcyon 23-05-2022 11:06

I havent been to the cinema in a while but the cost is incredible and when you have kids who want food as well it ends up costing a lot of money!

Prices need to go down.

tweetiepooh 23-05-2022 11:17

Although dated I do remember cinema in South Africa in the 70's. (In the late 60's some people would dress up to go to the cinema).
Apart from from some really odd censorship ratings there was more of an experience with news reels (one bilingual), shorts and maybe even a second movie.

ThunderPants73 10-06-2022 15:28

Yep, which is one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema any more. That and covid and selfish morons who can't stay off their phones for more than a minute at a time.

Mr K 10-06-2022 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36123131)
I think they do...... They have been so conditioned and dumbed down they think crap is good!!!

Its very sad...

Have you seen the 'Carry on ' films? Crap is good :)

Dude111 11-06-2022 03:12

Ah man!!

No I havent seen those.........

jfman 11-06-2022 09:53

I think almost certainly audiences accept less. A flashy reboot rather than something new, or a spin-off so character development doesn’t need to start from scratch.

Maggy 11-06-2022 10:00

Too expensive,too loud and there's only so much comic book crap I can take.

Ken W 11-06-2022 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36124924)

I agree with you

Dude111 02-07-2022 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy

I hear ya about TOO LOUD Maggy,not good at all!!

tweetiepooh 04-07-2022 10:35

In the 70's in South Africa one central Joburg complex had different size auditoriums for different films. So new, big budget films went to the 1,000 seat room and as time passed it would get pushed to 750, 500 and eventually out of the complex. If a film in one of the smaller auditoriums suddenly did better than one in a bigger they could swap on so on.

Once we were taken on a school trip to see a film about Eugène Marais, a poet who spent time with baboons. It's a quiet film and we were in the 250 (or maybe smaller) theatre. Next door they were showing some big film about an orca and it was a tad distracting during intimate moments to hear the music and sound effects intruding.

downquark1 04-07-2022 11:43

They have higher expectations for logical consistency, special effects and fast pacing. They have lower expectations for depth of narrative and meaning.

Qtx 08-07-2022 22:42

My expectations for any blockbuster movie is super low these days and I'm still disappointed to the point I would rather re-watch old movies now.

Its all woke gender politics, diversity and misandry shoe-horned in to tv and film with decent writing and plots nowhere to be seen.