Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707019)

RichardCoulter 02-11-2018 12:55

Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

I've just received an email saying that the VM app has been updated. It also says that it is now possible to stream recordings from the V6 to a phone or tablet in your own home.

Is this a new feature, I can't recall seeing this before?

Do you have to leave the V6 switched on to be able to do this?

1701-e 02-11-2018 13:17

Re: Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

I have used this before - not new.

BenMcr 02-11-2018 13:39

It's been available since the launch of the V6.

You have to leave the V6 switched on if you want to stream within your home and across the home network from the V6 to your mobile device.

You can also download some shows to a mobile device for offline viewing - however this can take a while to complete as the V6 has to transcode the recording into a mobile format as it goes.

RichardCoulter 02-11-2018 15:18

Thanks.

Does anyone know what the update did?

ozsat 02-11-2018 15:47

Depends what device you use - the What's New for iOS says "IOS 12 Support"

RichardCoulter 02-11-2018 20:05

Cheers.

muppetman11 05-11-2018 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35968996)
It's been available since the launch of the V6.

You have to leave the V6 switched on if you want to stream within your home and across the home network from the V6 to your mobile device.

You can also download some shows to a mobile device for offline viewing - however this can take a while to complete as the V6 has to transcode the recording into a mobile format as it goes.

Why does it take so long ? On Q a 30 minute show took me under a minute to download to phone seems odd why Virgin would employ such a slow method.

BenMcr 05-11-2018 08:06

That's the way it's designed by TiVo. The box doesn't keep any 'mobile ready' versions of the recordings on the disk. This does mean that as much disk space as possible is available for recording.

Sky Q converts recordings ahead of time. So space is used on the disk for the download version of recordings, but as you've found the upside there is quicker downloads.

Raider999 05-11-2018 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35969263)
That's the way it's designed by TiVo. The box doesn't keep any 'mobile ready' versions of the recordings on the disk. This does mean that as much disk space as possible is available for recording.

Sky Q converts recordings ahead of time. So space is used on the disk for the download version of recordings, but as you've found the upside there is quicker downloads.

Thanks for the explanation - suppose it makes sense as the v6 has a small disk capacity.

I have never found any of my recordings which are downloadable - how do you tell?

BenMcr 05-11-2018 11:33

You should see a symbol next to the show and then the appropriate download option.

You can see that in the screenshot here on this post on Community forum:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...3849534#M56724