Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705179)

Kursk 29-07-2017 11:06

Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909758)
I was thinking more along the lines of educational young man.;)

Gettaway :nutter:

papa smurf 29-07-2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35909757)
PIP-a-dee doo dah
PIP-a-dee yay
My oh my
Benefits coming your way
:D

oh yea pip... pip...pip....pip.. clear the road pappys coming through

pip08456 29-07-2017 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35909757)
PIP-a-dee doo dah
PIP-a-dee yay
My oh my
Benefits coming your way
:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35909763)
oh yea pip... pip...pip....pip.. clear the road pappys coming through

Don't drag me into this!:D

Osem 29-07-2017 12:58

It's going to be impossible to have dedicated charge points for every address where there's no off road parking so who's going to stop cars being left fully charged at charge points by people who have nowhere else to leave their cars? There's simply not enough space to allow people the luxury of being able to charge their vehicle close to their home and then move that car to free up the charge point for anyone else to use. Even if each residence is allocated a charge point what happens with families where there's more than one car? If they can't charge their vehicles on their own land they'll have to use communal or other facilities elsewhere. Hardly practical is it.

BenMcr 29-07-2017 13:40

Who knows whether in 23 years time that model of charging will still be needed?

It's quite possible that electric technology will have advanced to the point where you aren't so wedded to a charging point as today. Charging times are already getting shorter and ranges longer.

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 13:47

There is no way I would buy an electric car as things stand. Charging takes too long and even from fully charged you do not get much mileage before you need to do it all again.

As Ben says, technology will change things by 2040, and with luck there will be other alternatives by then, such as hydrogen cars, which expel only water vapour.

Kursk 29-07-2017 13:49

Dedicated charging zones manned 24/7 will be set up (inc at the sites of then disused petrol stations). You will pay for overstaying and, if necessary, penalised by withdrawal of access to a charging facility until you learn to comply with the rules. Your vehicle will be coded to facilitate ease of these controls. In a paradox, persistent offenders will be electrocuted :D

papa smurf 29-07-2017 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35909781)
Dedicated charging zones manned 24/7 will be set up (inc at the sites of then disused petrol stations). You will pay for overstaying and, if necessary, penalised by withdrawal of access to a charging facility until you learn to comply with the rules. Your vehicle will be coded to facilitate ease of these controls. In a paradox, persistent offenders will be electrocuted :D

we might be running cars on lcr that's liquide cyclist remains if i'm in charge

oliver1948uk 29-07-2017 14:41

Surely we need to go full electric rather than hybrid which have 2 power supplies, two engines. All this adds to the weight, bulk, complexity and price. It is up to the clever people to continue to develop batteries which are more powerful, charge more quickly and are cheaper. Perhaps the oil producing countries are paying the experts NOT to invent better batteries.

Paul 29-07-2017 16:15

I was looking on the Renault site and saw their electric car, the "Zoe".

Range, about 150 miles on a full charge - a full charge takes about 7 hours.

You have to rent the battery for about £70 a month.

papa smurf 29-07-2017 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35909786)

so you have to have a fuel consumption of £ 70 before you start saving money due to battery rental

the range is pants

and it takes a day to charge up [ how much does that cost ]

Paul 29-07-2017 16:28

Well its a 7KW charger, so I guess 49KWH.

Which is about £6.50, or about £4 if you have Economy 7 overnight.

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35909786)

Absolutely dreadful. More trouble than it's worth.

TheDaddy 29-07-2017 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35909781)

Problem with your plan is currently it takes about a five minutes to fill up a car, pay and go, even if we get the charging time down to an hour how many cars are these garages going to process compared to now and of course the drivers will have to stay with the cars and wait and wait and wait, it'll be a complete free for all to get to the charging station and wait and wait. Also there is a pretty horrific environmental cost to making and disposing of these batteries, it'd be interesting to compare the two and see the figures. I do like electorocuting persistent offenders though, that's a sensible policy although just to make the punishment as inhumane as possible they should be electrocuted with their own cars enormous battery.

papa smurf 29-07-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35909788)
Well its a 7KW charger, so I guess 49KWH.

Which is about £6.50, or about £4 if you have Economy 7 overnight.

7kw that's about 30 amps i'll have to rewire the house to charge it

it's pretty clear the easy part of this change was saying we are banning petrol and diesel