Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   U.S Election 2016 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702280)

RizzyKing 14-01-2017 10:30

Re: US Election 2016

No Marty most of my US friends are at the opposite end to me on a whole range of things and especially the democrat voters but there seems to have been an attitude shift over the last few years towards something new has to appear as the old systems just are not good enough for the world we currently have. I'd rather have one friend that supports things I don't and will argue their position then ten people who agree with me and go along with anything i say.

martyh 14-01-2017 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35880587)
No Marty most of my US friends are at the opposite end to me on a whole range of things and especially the democrat voters but there seems to have been an attitude shift over the last few years towards something new has to appear as the old systems just are not good enough for the world we currently have. I'd rather have one friend that supports things I don't and will argue their position then ten people who agree with me and go along with anything i say.

But you can't simply project your friends views over the whole country.Just because your friends think that Obama is rubbish doesn't mean the whole country does .

All the latest polls in the USA say that Trump will be a worse president than Obama ,by a considerable margin,mainly because as his inauguration approaches more about his abilities as a leader,politician and his personal traits are being revealed and people don't like what they see .To enter the whitehouse less popular than the president leaving is quite an achievement .

adzii_nufc 14-01-2017 11:18

I wonder if they're conducted by the same people behind the ones that said he'd lose. One can't deny it's a very different and more hostile entry than usual though. The other half still voicing their discontent.

martyh 14-01-2017 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35880601)
I wonder if they're conducted by the same people behind the ones that said he'd lose.

The way i see it is that Trump is going to be a president of extremes .He will invoke very deep feelings in voters one way or the other ,there will be no middle ground if he gets his way.I also think the way he has single handedly alienated his entire security services before even getting into office gives a clue of how things will go .

adzii_nufc 14-01-2017 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35880604)
The way i see it is that Trump is going to be a president of extremes .He will invoke very deep feelings in voters one way or the other ,there will be no middle ground if he gets his way.I also think the way he has single handedly alienated his entire security services before even getting into office gives a clue of how things will go .

I can't disagree, it was split before and I can't see it changing much now. Obviously that's sometimes the case for a few elections but as put, he's a bit different, a bit of a wildcard, a president of extremes for some. Oh and I can't remember anyone being voted in after such a unique campaign.

I'll judge afterwards of course but he's becoming the Bieber of President in some cases, not all mind but there's people out there just hanging onto the bieber effect, hating him because that's the cool thing to do. My missus is pretty much an example of that, Why is Donald Trump a dick I ask? Because everyone seems to be talking about how much of a dick he is on Facebook. :D

Hugh 14-01-2017 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35880608)
I can't disagree, it was split before and I can't see it changing much now. Obviously that's sometimes the case for a few elections but as put, he's a bit different, a bit of a wildcard, a president of extremes for some. Oh and I can't remember anyone being voted in after such a unique campaign.

I'll judge afterwards of course but he's becoming the Bieber of President in some cases, not all mind but there's people out there just hanging onto the bieber effect, hating him because that's the cool thing to do. My missus is pretty much an example of that, Why is Donald Trump a dick I ask? Because everyone seems to be talking about how much of a dick he is on Facebook. :D

No, it's because he's doing dickish things, and people are talking on FB about the dickish things he does....

Mick 14-01-2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35880594)
But you can't simply project your friends views over the whole country.Just because your friends think that Obama is rubbish doesn't mean the whole country does .

All the latest polls in the USA say that Trump will be a worse president than Obama ,by a considerable margin,mainly because as his inauguration approaches more about his abilities as a leader,politician and his personal traits are being revealed and people don't like what they see .To enter the whitehouse less popular than the president leaving is quite an achievement .

Polls are and can be wrong. 2015 General Election Polls and just this US Election, just gone had Clinton in the clear lead for weeks, how wrong both those polls were and the current poll that says Obama has more than a 50% approval is also wrong, utter rubbish.

Damien 14-01-2017 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35880642)
Polls are and can be wrong. 2015 General Election Polls and just this US Election, just gone had Clinton in the clear lead for weeks, how wrong both those polls were and the current poll that says Obama has more than a 50% approval is also wrong, utter rubbish.

The overall national polls were very close to the actual result. Clinton won the popular vote by 2% and the average of the polls going into the election was 2.2%. They got the state polls wrong so didn't see Clinton losing her 'firewall'.

Anyway polls certainly aren't perfect but they're more scientific than just making assertions on the internet.

pip08456 14-01-2017 16:06

Polls can be manipulted depending on who commissions it to get the result wanted.

The questions are just phrased in a way to get thr required resullt. That's the only scientific part.

Damien 14-01-2017 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35880644)
Polls can be manipulted depending on who commissions it to get the result wanted.

The questions are just phrased in a way to get thr required resullt. That's the only scientific part.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not. That's what decides a reputable polling company from a bad one. However Gallup having been asking for some question for 30+ years for the approval ratings and if it was for fact it's not -30 for Obama there would be little contention of the same question being asked this year either.

TheDaddy 14-01-2017 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35880642)

Polls can be wrong, especially if they only asked people from Latino districts called Juan or Jesus questions but that notwithstanding if I were American I'd be concerned Trump hasn't got that new president bounce in his approval ratings, based on that he's not going to have that honeymoon settling in period and it'll set the mood for his presidency, still at least we'll get some laughs out of it, that's the main thing.

Osem 20-01-2017 17:33

Well anyone who thought the speech writers might mollify Trump's tone for his inauguration were as wrong as the pollsters.

Would there be a sudden change of language? Would there be sense of diplomacy and compromise? From where I'm sitting, it was more of the same stuff which got him elected and that's fair enough but you have to wonder how long it'll work and how this style will go down with the rest of the world...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-38682565

heero_yuy 20-01-2017 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35881381)
Well anyone who thought the speech writers might mollify Trump's tone for his inauguration were as wrong as the pollsters.

Would there be a sudden change of language? Would there be sense of diplomacy and compromise? From where I'm sitting, it was more of the same stuff which got him elected and that's fair enough but you have to wonder how long it'll work and how this style will go down with the rest of the world...

I liked the fact he used the term "Islamic terrorism" that the BBC are so frightened of and now have to repeat verbatim.

It's the same basic message that got him elected. It'll be interesting to see how he tries to implement it.

Russ 20-01-2017 17:55

"I just felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Damien 20-01-2017 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35881381)

Quite. No one can say they don't know what they're getting.