Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : The Mandalorian (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708038)

Stephen 28-11-2020 11:05

Re: The Mandalorian

I think GM is expecting too much from a simple little show about a bounty hunter, tasked with reuniting the child with its species.
The story moves along nicely. Only visiting planets that are necessary and not just every planet he comes across.

Asoka is a pretty interesting character and is explored a lot in Clone Wars. Knowing who she is and who trained her is also a big part of her.

Paul 28-11-2020 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36060131)
Which is a shame because they really couldn’t have laid on the lone gunslinger motif any thicker this week if they’d used a trowel.

The dual at the end was a perfect western quick draw, I could almost hear the good the bad and the ugly in my head. :)

Chris 28-11-2020 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36060173)
The dual at the end was a perfect western quick draw, I could almost hear the good the bad and the ugly in my head. :)

I’ll have to watch it again but I’m sure there were just a couple of notes in the soundtrack that referenced it.

Likewise when Ahsoka started monologuing about the Force I think there was the briefest of snippets of Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back.

admars 01-12-2020 12:26

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...oka-tano-grogu

The Mandalorian: Rosario Dawson Tells All About Ahsoka Tano

Chris 01-12-2020 14:08

Quote:

She sees this child and names the name “Yoda” for [the first time] in our show. [Composer] Ludwig Göransson does a really masterful thing where the music, just for a moment, becomes John Williams’s “Yoda’s Theme.” Those are those little overlapping moments that I just love, and it’s why I’ve always insisted on using Star Wars music so fleetingly because you don’t want that unless you’re talking about that character. It’s their music. We had an opportunity to just give it a little grace moment.
Ears, take a bow. :D

Mick 01-12-2020 16:31

Just getting in to this, started watching Season 1 at weekend, on episode 4 so far. :)

Chris 01-12-2020 16:40

This is the way. :cool:

Mick 01-12-2020 17:21

And the cutest thing in the galaxy, is a Baby Yoda. :D

pip08456 01-12-2020 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36060547)
And the cutest thing in the galaxy, is a Baby Yoda. :D

Grogu.

Mick 01-12-2020 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36060550)
Grogu.

This was revealed in Season 2, this information, I just read up, so thanks for that tiny bit of an unwarranted spoiler. As I said above, I am still up to Ep 4 of Season 1. :rolleyes:

Chris 01-12-2020 18:02

You'd really better not read this thread too closely, it'll give the whole thing away :erm:

Mick 01-12-2020 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36060554)
You'd really better not read this thread too closely, it'll give the whole thing away :erm:

I've skimmed past posts that describe episode plot twists. Cannot do that with one word responses.

Spoiler: 
Does no-one use this tool anymore?

cimt 01-12-2020 18:49

Well how long should spoilers be a thing? I'd say a few days to a week. I tend to try and avoid anything to do with a show if I haven't watched latest episodes, because I know how easy it is to have something spoiled.

Stephen 01-12-2020 19:15

Well as season 2 is airing now and season 1 was last year I'd say most people will be up to date and will be watching new episodes weekly. So spoilers past a few days or so shouldn't be an issue.

General Maximus 01-12-2020 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36060561)
Well how long should spoilers be a thing?

1 week is very reasonable for a series which is universally available globally on a streaming service. If you haven't watched it in the first week (and by the time the next ep comes around) then you have only got yourself to blame.
To be fair the same would apply if we were talking about any of the many broadcast series in the US which air months in advance of them being shown in the UK. This is acceptable as the forum mitigates spoilers by providing thread prefixes for US and UK timeline. If a thread is prefixed with US timeline then you view it at your own risk.

Paul 01-12-2020 20:09

Spoilers are not necessary, that was determined a long time ago, pretty much as General says above.

Thats the reason we have UK/US Timeline, and Streaming prefixes.

They [Spoilers] serve a very limited purpose and make the topic much harder to read, their disadvantage outweighs any small advantage.

That said, it was pretty obvious from Mick's post that he would not want that revealing in such an obvious way, it was an entirely unnecessary post by Pip.

Jaymoss 02-12-2020 21:32

Yoda and Yaddle breaking Jedi law = Baby Yoda hehehehe

heero_yuy 04-12-2020 09:55

Got the next episode to watch this evening: "The Tragedy"

cimt 04-12-2020 13:46

Another excellent episode.

Pierre 04-12-2020 20:15

Another ripsnorter.

Chris 04-12-2020 20:25

Eeeeeeee!

Hugh 04-12-2020 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36060981)
Eeeeeeee!

Agreed - it’s all coming together...

General Maximus 04-12-2020 22:41

yup, and just once again proves that you focus on and develop the main story and build the characters while still finding an excuse for a weekly punch up. Things are moving along very nicely but what is going to do my head is that we are just going to feel like we are getting somewhere and it is going to be the flipping season finale. This is why we need 16 episode seasons minimum.

heero_yuy 05-12-2020 08:00

A longer run would be welcome now the story is getting some momentum. Looks like transport is going to become an issue.

Chris 05-12-2020 09:20

Ahsoka’s observation that Mando is like a father to the child wouldn’t have rung true had they not devoted time to scenarios where we could concentrate on that. The story pace is just fine, everything has shown us something useful. This isn’t a saga film and we don’t need imperials hosing the place down every week for it to be a great series.

Stephen 05-12-2020 10:46

I think 16 would be too many. 8 episodes is enough to cover the main plot and any little side stories that end up being part of the main plot.

Its like most series with 22 episodes per season could usually be cut down by a lot due to so much filler rubbish. Mando gets the balance perfect.

So much about this weeks episode was just perfection.

Chris 05-12-2020 10:59

22 weeks has never been about good storytelling. It’s about filling a broadcast slot with something the network is reasonably confident will perform well for the audience and advertisers who are interested in it. It has always resulted in horrible fillers like clip shows, comedy episodes (even musicals at times) and weeks when the main cast are almost entirely absent.

Streamed content is often more like a novel adaptation, telling a story from end to end. And that’s precisely what the Mandalorian is doing - cleverly, too, because the best quest tales aren’t perfectly linear. The story is being driven by the Mandalorian’s character, and that of the child, which is why they end up in scrapes sometimes only tangentially related to the story arc.

Pierre 07-12-2020 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36061036)
22 weeks has never been about good storytelling.

You only have to look towards the walking dead. on how things can go wrong. Started off as brilliant 6 parter, then went to extended runs split into two halves, with seasons full of meandering story and episodes where literally nothing happens.

And for success look to Breaking Bad which kept it short and rarely wasted run time.

heero_yuy 11-12-2020 09:21

S02E07: Chapter 15 "The Believer" down ready to watch this evening.

Paul 11-12-2020 18:49

Ditto, have it ready to watch later (after work). :)

Stephen 11-12-2020 20:13

Wow!

Another cracking episode.

General Maximus 11-12-2020 20:31

I'll be watching it later. Shame we are just starting to get somewhere and it is the penultimate episode of the season.

Pierre 11-12-2020 21:02

It was great, that transporter was pure Gerry Anderson. Even the camera angles, pure Thunderbirds.

Stephen 11-12-2020 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36061959)
I'll be watching it later. Shame we are just starting to get somewhere and it is the penultimate episode of the season.

Its been building nicely to this, every episode. Your talking like nothing at all happened in 7 episodes.

General Maximus 11-12-2020 23:16

Okay so a good ep but there is one thing which killed my realism factor:

Spoiler: 
All along they have made a big thing about Mandalorian lore, not taking your helmet off and not letting anyone see your face. He did it in this episode and appeared to have no regrets or reservations about doing it and I assumed as certain events were transpiring he was doing it knowing there wouldn't be any surviving witnesses. The base blew up as expected but I am really surprised he let Mayfeld live at the end. He is expendable, a liability and now a significant risk in the future. I expected this to be an opportunity for us to see a darker more ruthless side of Mando and him upholding his core beliefs.

Chris 11-12-2020 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36061995)
Okay so a good ep but there is one thing which killed my realism factor:

Spoiler: 
All along they have made a big thing about Mandalorian lore, not taking your helmet off and not letting anyone see your face. He did it in this episode and appeared to have no regrets or reservations about doing it and I assumed as certain events were transpiring he was doing it knowing there wouldn't be any surviving witnesses. The base blew up as expected but I am really surprised he let Mayfeld live at the end. He is expendable, a liability and now a significant risk in the future. I expected this to be an opportunity for us to see a darker more ruthless side of Mando and him upholding his core beliefs.

You’re really missing the heart of this story. What this is all about is Mando’s deepening relationship with the Child (the holomessage at the end was meant to really lay it out in ten foot high capital letters just in case you had somehow not got it).

Getting Grogu back is now more important to Mando than his Mandalorian oath. That’s how much it matters. Plus, this season they have surrounded him with genuine Mandalorians rather than what Bo-Katan called religious zealots. So it’s possible that Mando’s love for the child is causing him to reassess who he is and in fact deepening his understanding of what the Mandalorian Way actually is.

And the ending - it was Marshall Dune’s decision to let him go, though Mando agreed with it. And that, again, was entirely consistent with the episode’s overall theme which was to muse about justice, mercy and what cause people choose to believe in - there was a pretty significant monologue on this exact topic in the cockpit of the rhydonium tanker.

Also, literally in flashing capital letters, was the episode title, THE BELIEVER, which is deliberately just vague enough that you could apply it to any or several of the characters who featured this week.

It was a superb piece of storytelling that drove the character development forwards in a very satisfying way.

Stephen 11-12-2020 23:43

He did that as there was no choice, in order to get the info to the child's location. A sacrifice he was willing to make as the child means more to him than anything else now.

heero_yuy 12-12-2020 07:59

Excellent episode, defo Thunderbirds with the transporter. There's a lot of stuff to finish off in the finale. Or maybe a new season?

Chris 12-12-2020 09:50

Season 3 has been announced.

heero_yuy 18-12-2020 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36062025)

Excellent news. :tu:

S02E08 - "The Rescue" to watch this evening. Longer at 44m 05s

Pretty obvious from the last scene in the prevous episode what happens here. Plenty of stormtroopers will bite the dust. :D

Chris 18-12-2020 14:51

They still can't shoot straight. :D

cimt 18-12-2020 18:19

Was an awesome episode. I won't spoil it though. Also there is a post credit scene.

Pierre 18-12-2020 18:31

Spoiler: 
they were close, no worse than Peter Cushing or Carrie Fisher. The problem was they made him too young and flawless.

Luke in RotJ is older and facially scarred (due to a car crash).

Close but no cigar

Paul 18-12-2020 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36062025)

It will be later though, not due to start airing until christmas 2021 (Dec 24th is the rumoured date).

Hugh 18-12-2020 20:43

Squeeeeee!!!!

Spoiler: 
still a little bit "uncanny valley", but didn’t lessen my immense enjoyment when they appeared

General Maximus 18-12-2020 23:20

well **** me, I wasn't expecting that ending

Spoiler: 
Two things to I need to say on a positive and a negative. Firstly,, in terms of my realism factor and where the series sits in the timeline, it makes sense for Luke to appear as he would have detected the disturbance in the force. I wasn't expecting it, it was a phenomenal surprise and it helps to ground the series in the main Star Wars storyline. On a negative, they did a piss poor job with the cgi for his face and should be ashamed of themselves for tarnishing such a monumental character in the franchise. He looked like a video game character from the 90s. The jaw moves up and down and a noise comes out.

1701-e 18-12-2020 23:34

Hope you all stayed for the post credit sequence

Chris 19-12-2020 00:02

Superb stuff. And a spin-off in the pipeline. Nice :tu:

SnoopZ 19-12-2020 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36062721)
Hope you all stayed for the post credit sequence

Nope, what did I miss?

Will have to fireup CinemaHD and check again.

Paul 19-12-2020 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36062724)

.. or its the name of Season 3, thats unclear atm.

cimt 19-12-2020 01:43

It is due the same time as season 3, and I doubt Disney will air 2 shows about a Mandalorian at the same time. So I reckon it will either be a movie or it is the name for season 3.

heero_yuy 19-12-2020 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36062729)
Nope, what did I miss?

Will have to fire up CinemaHD and check again.

Missed that so we'll take another look. I stopped the TV's media player at the credits.

Cracking episode.

Wasn't expecting that ending. Bit confused about the time lines here though.

Hugh 19-12-2020 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36062735)
Missed that so we'll take another look. I stopped the TV's media player at the credits.

Cracking episode.

Wasn't expecting that ending. Bit confused about the time lines here though.

It’s set five years after the Return of the Jedi.

Pierre 19-12-2020 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36062724)

I assume he’s been taking names, and he’s out to get every one that’s ever double-crossed him.

Hugh 19-12-2020 11:23

If you are going to put Christmas lights on the outside of your house, This Is The Way...

Mick 19-12-2020 11:27

Well, I caught up and watched the last episode of season 2 last night - all I can say is absolutely astounding finish to a top Star Wars franchise.

Jaymoss 19-12-2020 15:09

I find it mad how there are Deep Fake Star Wars videos on youtube that do a better job at faces than studios. Maybe they need to employ the youtube guys

Hugh 19-12-2020 15:24

Are they in 4K?

Jaymoss 19-12-2020 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36062771)
Are they in 4K?

Not sure if you mean the series or the deep fakes but the answer to both is yes anyway :)

Hugh 19-12-2020 15:30

The deep fakes - thanks for the answer.

Jaymoss 19-12-2020 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36062774)
The deep fakes - thanks for the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...wars+deep+fake

Some of these are really good

pip08456 20-12-2020 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36062731)
.. or its the name of Season 3, thats unclear atm.

Nope. Different show.

https://thedirect.com/article/the-ma...=StarWarsStuff

Paul 20-12-2020 15:43

I love the confusion around the 'clarification'.

The fact they had to clarify it at all is poor, they should get their act together.

Pierre 20-12-2020 16:53

Now that most will have seen it, we have to address the CGI. It was great to see him, but the CGI was woeful and ruined what could have been a truly great reveal.

Chris 20-12-2020 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36063010)
Now that most will have seen it, we have to address the CGI. It was great to see him, but the CGI was woeful and ruined what could have been a truly great reveal.

It's a bit odd.

The CGI Tarkin in Rogue One was pretty good; the CGI Leia in the same film was ropey - about the same as the CGI Luke in this week's Mandalorian. Meanwhile, I re-watched Captain Marvel during the week and the de-ageing they did on Samuel L Jackson and Clark Gregg was astonishingly good. In the case of the Mandalorian, Mark Hamill is credited as Luke Skywalker so you would have hoped it would have been a case of de-ageing his own face rather than mapping a CGO version of his face onto another actor, as was required in Rogue One. They *should* have been able to do it better than they did - the technology is more than able. However, I suspect the problem is the Mandalorian was conceived as a modest-budget production. For all the trumpeting the super-high technology they use to create virtual environments in The Volume at Lucasfilm, it is at the end of the day a TV studio, being used to create an almost entirely studio-bound show, and the reason for doing that is it's cheaper.

I suspect the mundane reason why Luke Skywalker didn't look very convincing is that by the time they got to the final episode they didn't have enough budget left to pay someone for the time required to do any better, which is a real shame.

cimt 20-12-2020 17:51

They used a body double. I think if they actually used Mark Hammil then it would of looked better.

Hugh 20-12-2020 18:49

Hamill did the voice.

Pierre 20-12-2020 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36063021)
It's a bit odd.

The CGI Tarkin in Rogue One was pretty good; the CGI Leia in the same film was ropey - about the same as the CGI Luke in this week's Mandalorian. Meanwhile, I re-watched Captain Marvel during the week and the de-ageing they did on Samuel L Jackson and Clark Gregg was astonishingly good. In the case of the Mandalorian, Mark Hamill is credited as Luke Skywalker so you would have hoped it would have been a case of de-ageing his own face rather than mapping a CGO version of his face onto another actor, as was required in Rogue One. They *should* have been able to do it better than they did - the technology is more than able. However, I suspect the problem is the Mandalorian was conceived as a modest-budget production. For all the trumpeting the super-high technology they use to create virtual environments in The Volume at Lucasfilm, it is at the end of the day a TV studio, being used to create an almost entirely studio-bound show, and the reason for doing that is it's cheaper.

I suspect the mundane reason why Luke Skywalker didn't look very convincing is that by the time they got to the final episode they didn't have enough budget left to pay someone for the time required to do any better, which is a real shame.

Indeed, de-aging seems to work better. Michael Douglas (Ant man) and Kurt Russell (GoftG 2) 2 further examples.

GMTarkin I agree was very good and as it was a fairly big role in Rogue 1, they must have thrown a wedge of cash at it. Leia was a 2 second appearance, so understandable it was not as polished.

If the Luke reveal was akin to Leia, it wouldn’t have irked me. But to have Luke stood there talking and interacting.......it had to be good and it just wasn’t. They should have known that this was a massive moment.

I’m not plugged into the fanboy world, but I would be surprised if it went down well.

I accept budget limitations, but this, this was not something to fudge.

Unfortunately, Luke’s return was fantastic right up until he took his hood off.

Paul 20-12-2020 23:03

TBH, I didnt really notice much wrong with it, but then Im not obsessed with it.

1701-e 21-12-2020 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36063064)
TBH, I didnt really notice much wrong with it, but then Im not obsessed with it.

Agreed. Not perfect but I was too busy with tears in the eyes (onions or something nearby) to let it bug me. ;)

General Maximus 21-12-2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36063045)
I accept budget limitations, but this, this was not something to fudge.

Unfortunately, Luke’s return was fantastic right up until he took his hood off.

exactly, and it is this kind of thing which kills my realism factor and ruins it for me

Chris 21-12-2020 12:10

I guess I’m spoiled by being old enough to have been brought up on British TV pre-realism, when everything was presented as electronic theatre and you were supposed to engage your imagination to overcome the limitations of VFX and studio-bound storytelling.

Luke’s face could have been better rendered for sure, but to say it ruined anything is a bit much.

Hugh 21-12-2020 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36063136)
I guess I’m spoiled by being old enough to have been brought up on British TV pre-realism, when everything was presented as electronic theatre and you were supposed to engage your imagination to overcome the limitations of VFX and studio-bound storytelling.

Luke’s face could have been better rendered for sure, but to say it ruined anything is a bit much.

Totally agree - I'm not letting a minute or two of average CGI ruin what was an excellent episode/series.

pip08456 21-12-2020 17:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36062987)
I love the confusion around the 'clarification'.

The fact they had to clarify it at all is poor, they should get their act together.

Disney+ have finally announced it.

Quote:

Disney+
@disneyplus
The Book of Boba Fett, a new Original Series, starring Temuera Morrison and @MingNa
Wen and executive produced by @Jon_Favreau, @Dave_Filoni, and Robert @Rodriguez, set within the timeline of #TheMandalorian, is coming to #DisneyPlus Dec. 2021.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...7&d=1608570227

cimt 21-12-2020 17:07

Robert Rodriguez too? Damn. Between the three of them that is an awesome combo. It is certainly looking like Star Wars will go mainly TV based now and from what we have seen announced so far, they could nail this.

General Maximus 02-02-2021 18:06

admars 11-02-2021 09:39

oops, was only a matter of time...

Quote:

Gina Carano Dropped from ‘Mandalorian’ Following ‘Abhorrent’ Social Media Posts
Lucasfilm parted ways with the actress who played Cara Dune for two seasons
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...orian-1126862/

Mick 11-02-2021 10:54

I don’t see what she said was wrong. Again, it’s wokeness hitting everywhere. Cancel something or someone because of their political beliefs.

BenMcr 11-02-2021 11:37

I don't think has anything to do with being 'woke':

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...al-media-posts
Quote:

Carano, who played the bounty hunter Cara Dune in both seasons of the Star Wars spin-off, wrote in a post on Instagram that is no longer available: “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

Mick 11-02-2021 12:08

I don’t get it, what’s wrong with that comment. It’s not getting at or attacking Jews. ???

Damien 11-02-2021 12:25

It's the comparison of how Jews were treated in the Holocaust to the treatment of Republicans in the United States that is getting her into trouble. It's seen as trivialising the former.

A better explanation here: https://www.ushmm.org/information/pr...-are-dangerous

As a general rule, it's a bad idea to make flippant analogies to the Holocaust.

Mick 11-02-2021 12:39

During the last four years, people on the left made comparisons to Trump and the Nazis, and now it’s suddenly not ok, she’s made a political view. She should be allowed to say it. Yet again it’s a woke issue, a total overreaction by Disney.

Damien 11-02-2021 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36070195)
During the last four years, people on the left made comparisons to Trump and the Nazis, and now it’s suddenly not ok, she’s made a political view. She should be allowed to say it. Yet again it’s a woke issue, a total overreaction by Disney.

It's not comparisons to the Nazis that get you into trouble (although it is lazy), it's the Holocaust. Some people on the left under Corbyn got into trouble for the same thing (and continue to do so).

And she is allowed to say, it's legal, but Disney doesn't want to be associated with it clearly.

admars 11-02-2021 13:09

i think this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Disney wants to be family friendly, stay out of trouble and controversy, she was probably warned several times in the past about her tweets etc that upset various different people, and this was her last strike, which is a shame, as I liked her character, and in the past in interviews she's come across as nice, and talked about issues affecting her and other women in showbusiness, and been a positive role model, recently, not so much :(

Mick 11-02-2021 13:10

The left under Corbyn were being Antisemitic. Gina wasn’t. Disney are being pathetic here. Well she should file a lawsuit against them for breach of First Amendment rights.

Chris 11-02-2021 13:30

I think it’s a bit of an overreaction to a clumsy attempt at a comparison between recent political violence in the USA and pogroms against European Jews. This sort of misconception requires intelligent engagement, not slapping down. Attempting to enforce intellectual orthodoxy rarely ends well in the long run. As the Nazis themselves discovered.

That said, Disney is a corporation with the right to hire whoever they want within the law and they are very mindful of their brand image. Gina Carrano was not yet signed up for Mando season 3 so they haven’t even sacked her, they’ve just announced they won’t be re-hiring.

Hugh 11-02-2021 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36070200)
The left under Corbyn were being Antisemitic. Gina wasn’t. Disney are being pathetic here. Well she should file a lawsuit against them for breach of First Amendment rights.

https://www.freedomforuminstitute.or...dom-of-speech/
Quote:

the First Amendment does not limit private employers. The Bill of Rights — and the First Amendment — limit only government actors, not private actors. This means that private employers can restrict employee speech in the workplace without running afoul of the First Amendment. Private employees would have to rely on other sources of law (e.g., contract law, tort law or state employment statutes) to seek relief in court.

Public employers also can set rules for employee behavior in the workplace. However, public employers are government actors and are subject to the limitations of the Bill of Rights, including the First Amendment.

cimt 11-02-2021 14:48

Most actors normally have some sort of morality clause in their contracts anyways these days, so if an actor could make a show look bad then they can just get rid of them without issue.

Chris 11-02-2021 15:04

Still, it should be stressed that she was out of contract with Disney and all they have done is to say they won’t be renewing it. So even if there had been protections against sacking in cases like this, they would not apply here.

Mick 11-02-2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36070204)

Irrelevant. Only she did not make such comments in the work place - she made them on her own social media posts. They are her own private remarks not made during any performance.

pip08456 11-02-2021 15:56

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36070202)
I think it’s a bit of an overreaction to a clumsy attempt at a comparison between recent political violence in the USA and pogroms against European Jews. This sort of misconception requires intelligent engagement, not slapping down. Attempting to enforce intellectual orthodoxy rarely ends well in the long run. As the Nazis themselves discovered.

That said, Disney is a corporation with the right to hire whoever they want within the law and they are very mindful of their brand image. Gina Carrano was not yet signed up for Mando season 3 so they haven’t even sacked her, they’ve just announced they won’t be re-hiring.

Perhaps the accompanying pic didn't help.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1613058798

Also
Quote:

Gina Carano has not exactly endeared herself to fans of Disney+’s The Mandalorian after revealing herself to be a far-right, transphobic conspiracy theorist who believes that COVID is a political hoax.
https://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_a...ding-again.php

Chris 11-02-2021 15:59

Yeah, that won’t have helped. I did wonder whether there was more of a pattern to her posted opinions because that one sentiment, in isolation, is a bit ignorant but hardly world-ending stuff.

Hugh 11-02-2021 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36070213)
Irrelevant. Only she did not make such comments in the work place - she made them on her own social media posts. They are her own private remarks not made during any performance.

The relevant part was
Quote:

The Bill of Rights — and the First Amendment — limit only government actors
Because you said
Quote:

she should file a lawsuit against them for breach of First Amendment rights.

Jaymoss 11-02-2021 16:54

TBH I wish all celebs kept their political views to themselves instead of using their celebrity to push a political agenda. I follow a fair few on twitter but had to unfollow loads during the election period in the US got totally sick of it. I follow them for their work not their politics

Paul 11-02-2021 16:55

We already know that Disney (and pretty much the entire US TV Industry) is now run by the PC Brigade, so no surprise.

That said, I cant really have any sympathy for her or anyone else who gets into trouble for posting on [anti] social media these days.

Just dont do it, ever. Stop using it, problem solved.

Mick 11-02-2021 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36070216)
The relevant part was

Because you said

And her still making her political comments in a private capacity still applies which still makes your point moot.

If she was in contract and they terminate her on her speech made in a private setting, on her own time, they would not have a leg to stand on and no company whether private or public, can dictate a persons political beliefs.

As Chris points out she is not in contract, so Disney decide to wreck probably one of the key people/characters in a recurring role that makes the Mandalorian what it is.

BenMcr 11-02-2021 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36070222)
If she was in contract and they terminate her on her speech made in a private setting, on her own time, they would not have a leg to stand on and no company whether private or public, can dictate a persons political beliefs.

You're correct that they can't and don't dictate a person's political beliefs.

However they can and do look at those beliefs against the company's own and against the business policies that a person is contracted to. If there is a conflict then a private company can and do suspend or terminate employment. Or in this case not work with that person again.

It's not right or left thing either, people from both viewpoints have ended up in a situation for it. Here's a BBC piece about it from 2012:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17660865
Quote:

In America, everyone has the right to free speech. But legally spoken remarks often have severe consequences - as the baseball coach who praised Fidel Castro has now discovered.

Ozzie Guillen, manager of the Miami Marlins baseball team, earned a five-game suspension after praising Fidel Castro in a Time magazine interview .

John Derbyshire, the conservative columnist, lost his job at the National Review after publishing an article warning his children to, among other things, avoid amusement parks with a high concentration of black visitors.

Hugh 11-02-2021 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36070222)
And her still making her political comments in a private capacity still applies which still makes your point moot.

As Chris points out she is not in contract, so Disney decide to wreck probably one of the key people/characters in a recurring role that makes the Mandalorian what it is.

From a US Law Firm.

https://www.chandralaw.com/faqs/what...endment-rights

Quote:

Does the First Amendment apply to private companies or individuals' conduct?

Generally, no. The First Amendment applies only to governmental action. So it’s only governmental action that we can address using the First Amendment, including applying it to the states through the 14th Amendment of the Constitution.

People call us all the time complaining about their private employers or private businesses (like Facebook or Twitter) violating their supposed "free-speech" or "First Amendment rights." That's not really a thing and there's nothing we can do about that.

The only exception would be if you can show evidence that private, non-governmental actors are acting in concert or conspiracy with government. (And you can't speculate about that or assume that.)

Mick 11-02-2021 18:41

Again, your point is still moot - no company private or public can dictate political beliefs to someone, ever - period. They just cannot. Disney have essentially fired someone because of her political stance, which is wrong. :rolleyes:

Jaymoss 11-02-2021 18:44

Can not wait for season 3 of The Mandalorian I wonder if we will ever see Grogu again or find out if he was killed by Kylo Ren