Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654059)

Milambar 14-08-2009 15:47

Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Then yes, you're missing something.

webcrawler2050 14-08-2009 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 34853902)
Then yes, you're missing something.

No, I don't think so - I think it's just "people" over dramatsing such a petty situation..

musicbravo 14-08-2009 16:04

As stated before OpenDNS does the same thing and VM do offer an opt-out on the redirected page. There is no real issue.

When signing up for anything these days there is an opt out. So if your in danger of having a major panic attack or worse over this then opt out. I am sure this will help lower your blood pressure, until you realise your milk has gone off, next time you make your cereal. All those extra bacteria in my milk and they didnt even bother to tell me they were there. Heaven forbid!!!

Dephormation 14-08-2009 16:10

If you don't see the big deal, fine, you've got nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, if you value having a choice about address bar search, or prefer NXDOMAIN errors to be returned properly without DNS hijacks, or consider that you have paid Virgin to provide you with a IETF/RFC compliant DNS service... then Virgin Media has suddently become a very poor choice of ISP.

If this is a 'service' people want, then Virgin should offer it to them as an opt in, not impose it.

Virgin have no business imposing supposedly 'value added services' without consent. (European directives makes that explicit).

webcrawler2050 14-08-2009 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34853919)
If you don't see the big deal, fine, you've got nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, if you value having a choice about address bar search, or prefer NXDOMAIN errors to be returned properly without DNS hijacks, or consider that you have paid Virgin to provide you with a IETF/RFC compliant DNS service... then Virgin Media has suddently become a very poor choice of ISP.

If this is a 'service' people want, then Virgin should offer it to them as an opt in choice, not impose it.

Virgin have no business imposing supposedly 'value added services' without consent. (European directives makes that explicit).

Plenty of other ISP's do this. Talk talk "impose" a search bar etc etc BT install 16 million things on behalf on "BT Yahoo" So seriously, is all this childish behaviour worth it?

Ben B 14-08-2009 16:13

I suppose it's nicer than getting "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" I don't get the Virgin one mine just goes to Google if i mistype something....

Dephormation 14-08-2009 16:18

It seems advancedsearch.virginmedia.com isn't a Virgin host at all.

Its a firm called Skye by Nominum, a California based 'network monetization' business.

See here and here.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 34853923)
I suppose it's nicer than getting "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" I don't get the Virgin one mine just goes to Google if i mistype something....

That's probably because you've chosen Google as your search engine provider.

Now, when you key something into the address bar, you'll probably find yourself looking at a Virgin Media page provided by Skye-Nominum instead... unless you opt out of DNS hijacking.

The feature is called 'Search from the Address Bar' or Autosearch in IE (you'll find it in the Advanced Options dialog box).

jamiefrost 14-08-2009 16:22

You do have a choice, opt out! The worst case for you would be 1 yes 1 redircted DNS response. You see it the first time and then you opt out.

Strictly speaking then the only resonse you should get from your browser, is a domain not know response until you ask you browser, toolbar etc do allow a search functionality. Which for most people they probably would have a clue about.

So for most people this would mean going to a search engine and typing it and then searching.

JJ

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34853924)
Now, when you key something into the address bar, you'll probably find yourself looking at a Virgin Media page provided by Skye-Nominum instead... unless you opt out of DNS hijacking.

The feature is called 'Search from the Address Bar' or Autosearch in IE (you'll find it in the Advanced Options dialog box).

Why is OK for Google, Microsoft etc to do this automatically but not Virgin

JJ

Dephormation 14-08-2009 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiefrost (Post 34853930)

Why is OK for Google, Microsoft etc to do this automatically but not Virgin

JJ

Mainly, because I choose to use Google, or choose to use Microsoft, or indeed choose to use [insert my favourite search engine/software provider here].

I have no quibble with Virgin offering a search service, and/or browser software, provided that I have a choice to use it (and my choice is respected).

It is not fine for them to impose their search service, or software, over my existing choice because they want to strip some traffic away from [insert my favourite search engine/software provider here].

See the difference?

Traduk 14-08-2009 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 (Post 34853900)
I am sorry but am I missing something here..

I don't see the big deal?

In your tag I see web design. Doesn't it bother you that this hi-jack breaks RFC protocols and can open up users to "cross site scripting attacks".

IMO this is just another of VM's lack of integrity when the long standing potential evaluation of Phorm (which was packaged as anti Phishing= safety) is stealthily replaced by something that is thought to be inherently unsafe and open to abuse.

Looked at in isolation this is no big deal but if attitudes have been poisoned by VM's past money grubbing practices I would rather they were upfront and honest and charged what gives them a reasonable return without resorting to underhand methods.

The ongoing contempt that VM displays toward their customer base defies logic. The recent free upgrade from 2 to 10Meg which coincidentally was just going up by £2 per month must have posed a few questions. I presume the transfer was free but tough luck that the free transfer was to a level that was subject to an imminent price increase.

Sir John Luke 14-08-2009 16:36

The key thing is that it should be OPT-IN!

jamiefrost 14-08-2009 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traduk (Post 34853938)
The recent free upgrade from 2 to 10Meg which coincidentally was just going up by £2 per month must have posed a few questions. I presume the transfer was free but tough luck that the free transfer was to a level that was subject to an imminent price increase.

Or alternatively they don't upgrade anyone and both the 2Mb and 10Mb tariffs would have gone up by £2.

Still don't see the lack of integrity, they have provide some functionality that will be of help to a lot of users. With an easy way to not use it.

JJ

Ben B 14-08-2009 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir John Luke (Post 34853943)
The key thing is that it should be OPT-IN!

But then how would people know about it?!

Sir John Luke 14-08-2009 16:44

How do people know about any other VM services?

Oh, and here's an interesting article I found

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...ps-error-page/

jamiefrost 14-08-2009 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34853936)
Mainly, because I choose to use Google, or choose to use Microsoft, or indeed choose to use [insert my favourite search engine/software provider here].

I have no quibble with Virgin offering a search service, and/or browser software, provided that I have a choice to use it (and my choice is respected).

It is not fine for them to impose their search service, or software, over my existing choice because they want to strip some traffic away from [insert my favourite search engine/software provider here].

See the difference?

Do google and Microsoft etc automatically acvtivate this search functionality, beacuse I don't remember telling the google toolbar to automatically give me a response including a search option.

For Virgin to be wrong so are Google, Microsoft etc until you explicitly ask for the functionality to be turn on. Whcih for most people will not happen.

My resonse seeing the google search appear the first time was 'that's a good idea, don't to manually search for the web address'

Is it really that bad to have 1 DNS response redirected.

JJ

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir John Luke (Post 34853949)
How do people know about any other VM services?

Are you seriously suggesting that people should look for automated DNS response options the same way they look for what TV, BB and phone supplier to use.

That would be a great ad 'Mistyped your favorite web address, don't worry Virgin Media have the answer'.

People are not going to look for options, again why is OK for other compaies to do but not VM?

JJ