Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Virgin Broadband cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708349)

Ditsum43 05-11-2019 16:40

Virgin Broadband cable

I have had Virgin TV for many years but not their broadband.

If I decide to have broadband in addition to tv will I need a new cable into the house or will my existing cable suffice?

Also I'm keen to update my TV box.

I can't get a straight answer from the Virgin sales team and it is clear that they don't know the answer.

If someone could very kindly help me with a definitive answer it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

pip08456 05-11-2019 16:45

Re: Virgin Broadband cable

Same cable will be used. It will connect to a spliier then one cable to TV box other to the hub.

spiderplant 05-11-2019 16:48

In most cases the existing cable will be fine. But nobody here can give you a definitive answer without knowing your particular setup. If you do need anything replacing, VM will do it for you.

Ditsum43 05-11-2019 17:41

Thank you both very much for your replies

General Maximus 05-11-2019 21:19

they'll send you a bundle with a new shub (router for the internet) and a new Tivo or whatever the current stb is.

SnoopZ 06-11-2019 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36016212)
they'll send you a bundle with a new shub (router for the internet) and a new Tivo or whatever the current stb is.

Surely this will be an engineer visit to install as they would likely need to check the power levels seeing BB hasn't been installed before, atleast if it was my house i would want an engineer so they check that and place the hub where i need it?

General Maximus 06-11-2019 10:49

They told me that when i upgraded to 350mbits and was getting a new Tivo. I arranged a date and everything, took the time off work to be here and then DHL turned up with a self install kit :rolleyes:

spiderplant 06-11-2019 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36016239)
Surely this will be an engineer visit to install as they would likely need to check the power levels seeing BB hasn't been installed before, atleast if it was my house i would want an engineer so they check that and place the hub where i need it?

TV requires the same levels, but over an even wider range of frequencies, so if TV already works, broadband should work too. The only exception is if your levels are already at the lower limit, adding an extra splitter will take them too low.

Ditsum43 07-11-2019 11:15

Thank you very much for your observation