Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

muppetman11 24-12-2013 18:23

re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657569)
As i'm new to this Netflix discussion, and if i take up the free offer, would House of Cards first series be available?

Yes House of Cards Series 1 is available and Series 2 will arrive in the New Year , if you have a HDTV you'll find the Netflix quality is excellent. You'll be able to use your Netflix account on your TiVo but also on many other devices you have around the house for example Android tablet/smartphone , iPhone/IPad , PS3 , Xbox , Roku , PC/Laptop , many smart TVs.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35657572)
Yes House of Cards Series 1 is available and Series 2 will arrive in the New Year , if you have a HDTV you'll find the Netflix quality is excellent.

That's brilliant mate thank you, and yes, i do have an HDTV.

denphone 24-12-2013 18:25

Yes the quality is indeed excellent Max.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35657574)
Yes the quality is indeed excellent Max.

Sounds good, so tell me chaps, if i go onto the Netflix site and register for a free month trial, how does this actually work, i mean i know it's on the TiVo which i have, but do Netflix activate it on your TiVo?

muppetman11 24-12-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657576)
Sounds good, so tell me chaps, if i go onto the Netflix site and register for a free month trial, how does this actually work, i mean i know it's on the TiVo which i have, but do Netflix activate it on your TiVo?

You can get 6 months free from VM I believe however I'm not sure who qualifies and who doesn't I'm sure someone will be able to advise you on this , if you just elect for the free month on the website its as simple as registering then choosing a password. Once you have your password its as simple as opening the Netflix app on your chosen device and entering your email and chosen password and your in.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35657579)
You can get 6 months free from VM I believe however I'm not sure who qualifies and who doesn't I'm sure someone will be able to advise you on this , if you just elect for the free month on the website its as simple as registering then choosing a password. Once you have your password its as simple as opening the Netflix app on your chosen device and entering your email and chosen password and your in.

Excellent, thank you MM.

paultrademark 24-12-2013 18:51

To get the 6 months free, you need to recontract for 12 months and be on Premier or VIP collection.

You also can't have any loyalty discounts on your account.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35657581)
To get the 6 months free, you need to recontract for 12 months and be on Premier or VIP collection.

You also can't have any loyalty discounts on your account.

Hm, that's me snookered then! I'm on the top VIP package which has various loyalty discounts, I would have thought that if you are committing to another 12 month contract, then you should still be able to get this deal.

spiderplant 24-12-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657584)
Hm, that's me snookered then! I'm on the top VIP package which has various loyalty discounts, I would have thought that if you are committing to another 12 month contract, then you should still be able to get this deal.

As long as you don't have any additional discounts such as Mates Rates you may be eligible. Give them a call.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35657587)
As long as you don't have any additional discounts such as Mates Rates you may be eligible. Give them a call.

Will do mate, thanks.

andy_m 24-12-2013 19:17

Bear in mind that the value of 6 months Netflix is less than £36 before you commit to a twelve month contract for it. With price rises coming you might find you're in a better position if you're out of contract.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35657592)
Bear in mind that the value of 6 months Netflix is less than £36 before you commit to a twelve month contract for it. With price rises coming you might find you're in a better position if you're out of contract.

Good point, cheers Andy!

solitaire 27-12-2013 15:23

Anybody ever had problems with Netflix buffering? I was watching a film a few nights ago when it did this to me about five times. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem on my 60mb connection. Mind you, I've only watched four films so far since I joined, so I'm hoping that it was a one off problem.

passingbat 27-12-2013 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitaire (Post 35658102)
Anybody ever had problems with Netflix buffering? I was watching a film a few nights ago when it did this to me about five times. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem on my 60mb connection. Mind you, I've only watched four films so far since I joined, so I'm hoping that it was a one off problem.

If you're watching via Tivo, it isn't using your 60 meg BB connection, it is accessing Netflix via Tivo's inbuilt 10meg connection.

Mad Max 27-12-2013 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35658104)
If you're watching via Tivo, it isn't using your 60 meg BB connection, it is accessing Netflix via Tivo's inbuilt 10meg connection.

Very true, but 10Mb should be adequate, the Netflix site quotes 0.5Mb as enough for streaming.