Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

steveh 03-04-2015 09:41

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiekev (Post 35769245)
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical.

5.1 sound works fine for me via optical. You may need to change the setting under Audio for Dolby Digital to explicitly use optical or it may autonegotiate to use what the HDMI connection prefers.

VLC is now available from the Fire TV app store, which while a bit buggy right now integrates better with the device than Kodi and won't make a mess all over the file system like Kodi does.

zantarous 03-04-2015 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiekev (Post 35769245)
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35769260)
I briefly read a review of the Nexus player and the lack of 5.1, so read no further. Do ripped DVDs played via Kodi give 5.1?

The Nexus supports 5.1 it just looks like the netflix app hasn't been updated to incorporate this which is odd cause it works on Chromecast. 5.1 and DTS work just fine in Kodi once the correct settings are enabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35769265)
It may be worth looking into the Windows tv sticks and boxes that have started to show up, i'm quite interested in these myself and am very close to purchasing a pipex 7 windows 8.1 box a bit pricey though at £149.

I did have a brief think about this but apps are really lacking in Windows 8 and it would still be a case of using Kodi most of the time so for the timebeing I still think something like a Nexus or Fire TV is a better option as they are pretty lightweight boxes and hopefully apps will start coming through think and fast.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35769328)
5.1 sound works fine for me via optical. You may need to change the setting under Audio for Dolby Digital to explicitly use optical or it may autonegotiate to use what the HDMI connection prefers.

VLC is now available from the Fire TV app store, which while a bit buggy right now integrates better with the device than Kodi and won't make a mess all over the file system like Kodi does.

I can't imagine VLC is anywhere near as feature rich as Kodi, what sort of mess does Kodi make of the file system?

theone2k10 03-04-2015 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35769365)
The Nexus supports 5.1 it just looks like the netflix app hasn't been updated to incorporate this which is odd cause it works on Chromecast. 5.1 and DTS work just fine in Kodi once the correct settings are enabled.

I did have a brief think about this but apps are really lacking in Windows 8 and it would still be a case of using Kodi most of the time so for the timebeing I still think something like a Nexus or Fire TV is a better option as they are pretty lightweight boxes and hopefully apps will start coming through think and fast.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

I can't imagine VLC is anywhere near as feature rich as Kodi, what sort of mess does Kodi make of the file system?

The windows tv boxes and sticks are based on the pc version of windows 8.1 i think. Also with google recently starting to enable running of android apps on any device that can run chrome browser http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...d-apps-1290145 a windows device is looking very very tempting.
Kodi runs flawlessly on windows 8.1 btw i have kodi on my windows pc also on my linux partition and on my firetv too all run without issues.

RichardCoulter 03-04-2015 14:18

Consumer perception favours OTT services, but as this will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, stick to cable for now says risk analysis firm Moody:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504033...#axzz3WAGDRief

They also predict that rising prices will push out less affluent cable customers.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201504033...#axzz3WAGDRief

Not keen on this idea of OTT providers having exclusive content. I can see why they do it, but it's the same as Sky keeping HBO material for themselves or sports fans now having to pay for more than one provider.

muppetman11 03-04-2015 14:28

Why shouldn't they be able to have exclusive content ?

passingbat 03-04-2015 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35769383)
but it's the same as Sky keeping HBO material for themselves .

Not really; Amazon/Netflix buy the rights to single shows from various networks. Sky have tied up the whole output of one network (HBO) for several years to come.

Also, Amazon/ Netflix keep back episodes of the shows they first show on a weekly basis; Sky keep a paltry four episodes for a very limited viewing time.

zantarous 03-04-2015 17:06

I am pretty sure there have been many reports about Amazon playing hardball with studios and walking away from them if they can't sign exclusive content deals.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Right Fire TV up and running Kodi is just scanning my librarys, addons added pretty much the same user experience as on the Nexus.

I have to say though the Fire TV is hands down better in the app department there are actual apps to watch and stream UK TV and the store is much better laid out including reviews from users. The Play store on the nexus player is a bit horrid looking which is surprising as the Phone and Tablet one is so beautiful.

Everything runs in nice 5.1+ from Amazon and netflix, I am a bit conflicted as to which one to put in the bedroom now.

tassiekev 03-04-2015 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35769328)

Apologies, on re-reading my post what I said was at least partially wrong. The problem lies with Amazon Prime (not sure about the other stuff). This is something that has been driving me mad for months - couldn't understand why Netflix can output 5.1 but couldn't get it on Prime. If you Google '5.1 sound problems on Amazon Prime' there are app 930,000 hits.

I wrote to HDFury in the States who design (and, I think manufacture) little boxes that take a signal from HDMI & output to component. One of their models, HDFury3, strips audio from the HDMI and passes it out via SPDIF in either stereo or 5.1. I asked if the HDFury3 could strip audio from the Amazon Fire and the response (paraphrased) was, 'no, the current device cannot extract DD+ which is output from Prime. A new device will be available to do so but DD+ is only output via HDMI. Standard DD is not a problem.'

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding I've created.

pengedragon 03-04-2015 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35768733)
No there is not PD as there are not many apps full stop on the TiVo but hang on Cindy Rose did say there are hundreds coming soon.

thanks for the response den, missed it earlier

theone2k10 03-04-2015 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35769404)
I am pretty sure there have been many reports about Amazon playing hardball with studios and walking away from them if they can't sign exclusive content deals.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Right Fire TV up and running Kodi is just scanning my librarys, addons added pretty much the same user experience as on the Nexus.

I have to say though the Fire TV is hands down better in the app department there are actual apps to watch and stream UK TV and the store is much better laid out including reviews from users. The Play store on the nexus player is a bit horrid looking which is surprising as the Phone and Tablet one is so beautiful.

Everything runs in nice 5.1+ from Amazon and netflix, I am a bit conflicted as to which one to put in the bedroom now.

The firetv is a cracking piece of kit download agk fire to your android phone and you can use your phone to sideload android apps such as itv player etc to your firetv.

SnoopZ 03-04-2015 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35769484)
The firetv is a cracking piece of kit download agk fire to your android phone and you can use your phone to sideload android apps such as itv player etc to your firetv.

Can you change the DNS setting on the FireTV stick so we can watch Netflix USA or is it locked down like the Chromecast?

theone2k10 03-04-2015 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35769494)
Can you change the DNS setting on the FireTV stick so we can watch Netflix USA or is it locked down like the Chromecast?

You can yes follow this guide http://help.unotelly.com/support/sol...mazon-fire-tv-

SnoopZ 03-04-2015 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35769496)

Thanks i am i bit annoyed i splashed out on a Chromecast 2 weeks ago now!

Do you have to pay to change the DNS on the Fire stick?

zantarous 03-04-2015 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35769484)

Do you need a mouse to get ITV working as I couldn't get past the postcode entry. Have you tried the new C4 app that one gives me a error.

theone2k10 03-04-2015 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35769498)
Thanks i am i bit annoyed i splashed out on a Chromecast 2 weeks ago now!

Do you have to pay to change the DNS on the Fire stick?

Only your monthly sub to your smart dns provider which works out about £3p/m

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35769518)
Do you need a mouse to get ITV working as I couldn't get past the postcode entry. Have you tried the new C4 app that one gives me a error.

Yes but you can but remote mouse for firetv app for about a quid or any wireless mouse will do just plug the dongle for mouse into firetv usb port a usb mouse will work too.
4OD and all4 do not work on firetv at moment, my spidey senses tell me a all4 app is coming for firetv.