Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4K : UHD on Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704518)

OLD BOY 23-02-2017 10:10

UHD on Virgin Media

Since setting up my 2 V6s and supplementing them with my HDD recorder so that all my recordings are now in HD (where available), I have been pondering about what to do with future programmes broadcast in UHD, given that recording such programmes will be so hungry for space that it would be impractical to do so. I will not go back to watching live broadcast TV because I want to watch my selected content at times that are convenient to me, and without having to sit through advertisements.

I was beginning to think that the recording issue would be avoided by all UHD material on Virgin Media being made available on demand only, but I notice that Vodaphone in Spain have launched a UHD service which will allow you to watch programmes aired on UHD broadcast channels through the cloud.

This seems to me the most likely method that will be adopted by Virgin Media, although given their current philosophy, they could well decide to go down the on demand route only.

Does anyone have any information regarding the route that Virgin will take, and what would you prefer VM to do to being UHD to our screens other than by way of Netflix, You Tube and (hopefully) Amazon?

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...odafone-spain/

pythagoras 23-02-2017 15:54

Re: UHD on Virgin Media

A 4k uhd Movie roughly takes up 17GB of storage on my sky q silver so it is feasible with 2TB or greater storage.

OLD BOY 24-02-2017 19:10

While this is indeed feasible, it would nevertheless restrict how much I want to record, so personally, I hope we have a cloud recording ability before long. I just hope that this won't be coming with a small time window in which to view it, or that will be similarly pretty useless as far as I am concerned.

muppetman11 04-03-2017 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 35887189)
A 4k uhd Movie roughly takes up 17GB of storage on my sky q silver so it is feasible with 2TB or greater storage.

The weekly episode of Lucky Man Series 2 in UHD (45 mins) comes in at around 6GB so as you say not to bad on a 2TB drive or greater. It's also pretty good PQ.:D

dodgem22 05-03-2017 17:24

I have a suspicion that the V6 may have a cloud recording function that has not been activated yet.

Travelstar 07-03-2017 14:39

I'm guessing the V6 rollout allowed both H264 and possibly H265 to be introduced. I could be wrong, but the V6 boxes may use multicast IP streams rather than DVB-C. Anyone know if this is the case?

muppetman11 07-03-2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35888702)
I have a suspicion that the V6 may have a cloud recording function that has not been activated yet.

Any basic IP device is capable of accessing the Cloud , Netflix and Amazon are already cloud based services.

spiderplant 07-03-2017 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35888983)
I'm guessing the V6 rollout allowed both H264 and possibly H265 to be introduced.

VM can only use encodings that are compatible with all boxes that are in the field, except where services can be controlled by box type. For example, Sky Movies HD On Demand is H.264, but is only made available on TiVo boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35888983)
I could be wrong, but the V6 boxes may use multicast IP streams rather than DVB-C. Anyone know if this is the case?

DVB-C is already present on the network, so the V6 boxes may as well use it. It would be unnecessary duplication to also carry content with multicast IP.

Travelstar 07-03-2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35889040)
VM can only use encodings that are compatible with all boxes that are in the field, except where services can be controlled by box type. For example, Sky Movies HD On Demand is H.264, but is only made available on TiVo boxes.

DVB-C is already present on the network, so the V6 boxes may as well use it. It would be unnecessary duplication to also carry content with multicast IP.

Agree. Just realised I had misunderstood the install of the new box as I had assumed (wrongly) it was all over Ethernet. That's a bit of a shame as this could be been a good time to go full IP and start looking to free up spectrum (not that it is in short supply). Also could have made installs more flexible.

OLD BOY 20-06-2017 16:02

I wonder if this will convince Virgin Media that their viewers ARE interested in having UHD programming?

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-tv-set-sales/

GfK: UHD now leading TV set sales

Despite there being no major sporting event in 2017 such as the European Football Championship Finals or the Olympics to drive sales of Ultra HD TV sets, UHD is now the dominant HD type, according to Nick Simon, Account Director/Consumer Electronics, GfK.

Delivering a Keynote Address at the SES Ultra HD Conference in London, suggested that this was particularly the case in the >£350 and 44-inch and above categories. He nevertheless noted that prices were not declining as much as analysts would have expected. “Prices are not going down anything like the freefall before,” he noted.

He also noted that UHD was getting to the stage where it was approaching other categories in volume terms and was some two-thirds of TV sales. “Compared with previous conferences, it’s no longer a case of: ‘It’s going to happen’, it’s happening. It’s the currency of TV sales now,” he declared, noting that UHD overtook ‘Full HD’ in volume terms in 2016.

OLD BOY 22-06-2017 07:45

An interesting article here in relation to the BBC and UHD.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-ultra-hd-hdr/

BBC fully backs Ultra HD, HDR

Andy Quested, the BBC’s HD & UHD Head of Technology, told delegates at the SES Ultra-HD conference in London that the broadcaster was fully behind UHD and the ‘Rec 2020’ standard which allows for High Dynamic Range images. “Everything we do today has to stand the test of time. Planet Earth 1, made some 11 years ago, is still being watched and is still selling [to overseas buyers]. We are investing in the very best images that can be generated, and also paying considerable attention to audio which is the cherry on the top.”

He explained how important it was that a single standard was employed so as not to disenfranchise existing viewers, and to avoid having to create multiple streams of video for those viewers. The BBC is behind its Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) transmission system, developed jointly by the BBC and NHK of Japan.

“All future commissions will be made in HLG (and PQ [Perceptual Quantiser] if needed by a co-production partner or overseas broadcaster) because we are an international broadcaster,” he added.

“These days the BBC makes very little ‘in house’ material. Even BBC Studios is now a separate organisation. As far as independent production houses are concerned, their archive is their long-term pension! They also want to produce in the highest-possible standard. So we are seeing more and more UHD productions underway. Many are utilising high-quality cameras, but storing the rushes because the client doesn’t need UHD today. But they can go back to them later if there’s a market. I am confident that you will see more UHD especially in high-end drama and episodic series, provided we have the budget.”

Quested said that despite pressures – not least from the TV retail sector – there was not a single UHD channel available in the UK. I can watch UHD on Sky, but that is not a traditional linear channel. I could describe it as a ‘live on demand’ service. This is a great way of doing it because it helps with bandwidth demand. Once Sky gets its act together on HDR, then everyone can see the trials we have done via the BBC’s iPlayer and seen on a much greater range of displays. I would say that one of the reasons we have invested in Natural History productions [in UHD] is because we are good at it. But there are also some high-end dramas and drama series which should be available as many of them are potentially UHD. I am sure Sherlock has been shot on suitable cameras, same with Happy Valley, and there are others. Once there is a revenue stream it is going to happen. The next few years will be a mixed environment. There will be HD with HDR, UHD with HDR and there might even be some 8K floating around eventually. But there will not be a single, fixed service, the way we work today. It is all about the value of the programme, the longevity of the programme and it is common sense that where there’s a value [in adopting the technology] it will be used.”

OLD BOY 18-09-2017 13:16

If UHD is now 'driving the market', perhaps Virgin Media will take note and give us what we've been asking for!

They could start by providing those Virgin Exclusives in UHD.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/futuresource...ng-the-market/

Raider999 18-09-2017 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35916965)
If UHD is now 'driving the market', perhaps Virgin Media will take note and give us what we've been asking for!

They could start by providing those Virgin Exclusives in UHD.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/futuresource...ng-the-market/

As VM refuses to sort out UHD for it's loyal customers are we led to the conclusion that the V6 boxes are not capable of displaying UHD?

This thread started with a post about the amount of space taken up by UHD recordings on SkyQ - could it be the lack of disk space in a V6 (no bigger disk version) means UHD will not be practical?

The suggested cloud storage through V6 - is this just pie in the sky?

The only thing for certain is VM don't seem to be able to supply UHD transmissions, despite sky having had UHD football for over a year.

Not that impressed!

OLD BOY 18-09-2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917022)
As VM refuses to sort out UHD for it's loyal customers are we led to the conclusion that the V6 boxes are not capable of displaying UHD?

This thread started with a post about the amount of space taken up by UHD recordings on SkyQ - could it be the lack of disk space in a V6 (no bigger disk version) means UHD will not be practical?

The suggested cloud storage through V6 - is this just pie in the sky?

The only thing for certain is VM don't seem to be able to supply UHD transmissions, despite sky having had UHD football for over a year.

Not that impressed!

According to this link, DVR recording to the cloud will be rolled out by Liberty Global next February. This may explain why the V6 is limited to 1TB, and it may also be the solution to the problem of disk space for UHD recordings.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/74598...ngs-next-year/

muppetman11 18-09-2017 22:34

From your link
Quote:

There’s one country in all of our operations where I don’t think we’ll ever cross that line of being able to do it, because we have some holdouts that just feel very strongly that their business model will be disrupted by it.
Probably the UK :D

OLD BOY 18-09-2017 22:40

Let's hope not! :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35917032)
From your link

muppetman11 19-09-2017 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917033)
Let's hope not! :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

It may not be but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

RobboEdin 19-09-2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35917032)
From your link

I would suggest that the UK is the country, given the article mentions Horizon, rather than TiVo.

Raider999 19-09-2017 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917030)
According to this link, DVR recording to the cloud will be rolled out by Liberty Global next February. This may explain why the V6 is limited to 1TB, and it may also be the solution to the problem of disk space for UHD recordings.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/74598...ngs-next-year/

How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?

OLD BOY 19-09-2017 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917127)
How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?

These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.

Raider999 19-09-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917130)
These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.

That is disappointing, I was hoping for something better than on demand. My viewing is mainly sport and sport has very little on demand.

Unless this improves it sounds like cloud recording will be a waste of time for me.

MichaelScofield 19-09-2017 20:09

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/09/15.jpg

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.

Raider999 19-09-2017 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelScofield (Post 35917148)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/09/15.jpg

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.

Hopefully, you are correct - however UHD football is currently only on BT tv and isn't a channel as such, it downloads from the Internet.

Hopefully the new app will allow me to download what I want from my shows on my V6 boxes.

OLD BOY 20-09-2017 07:32

I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?

Gavin-D 20-09-2017 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917171)
I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?

Around July or August I think

OLD BOY 20-09-2017 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35917204)
Around July or August I think

Maybe that's when we'll get it, then, if it's coming at all.

If BT want a lot of money for BT Sport UHD, let's hope VM can persuade them to throw in AMC as well!

Ignitionnet 20-09-2017 19:56

UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.

Raider999 20-09-2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35917270)
UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.

There have been several posts with links to reports that UHD is driving TV sales.

All we want is content on Virgin - currently we are the poor relations in this respect.

Gavin-D 20-09-2017 21:23

Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription

Raider999 20-09-2017 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35917283)
Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription

Not for me - no interest in Amazon, only UHD sport.

Gavin-D 21-09-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917289)

Don't forget Amazon is starting to get sports rights now and they are said to be considering bidding for the PL rights later this year

OLD BOY 21-09-2017 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917289)

Yes, but if UHD sport was available on Amazon, you would have an interest!

It doesn't matter what channel/service it's on from the point of view of viewing the material. That only matters in terms of access and pricing.

I would not expect Amazon to be so difficult about which platforms their sport was available on in beautiful UHD as Sky! They would still get their subscription money, so they won't have a problem with that.

Raider999 21-09-2017 17:18

It is bad enough having to subscribe to Sky sports and BT sports to watch football, absolutely no wish to have to pay even more if Amazon get rights as well.

Competition has only ever driven the overall price up - if we were back to the good old days of 1 platform having all the rights we would be better off.

It seems to be alright for other sports (Rugby Union, Super League and for European Champions/Europa Leagues so why not Premier League football?

Mad Max 21-09-2017 17:37

Quote:

It seems to be alright for other sports (Rugby Union, Super League and for European Champions/Europa Leagues so why not Premier League football?
Probably because PL football is seen as the jewel in the crown!

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917390)
It is bad enough having to subscribe to Sky sports and BT sports to watch football, absolutely no wish to have to pay even more if Amazon get rights as well.

Competition has only ever driven the overall price up - if we were back to the good old days of 1 platform having all the rights we would be better off.

A more likely scenario would be Amazon taking over from Sky or BT, although with more matches becoming available, there could be more providers coming in. As this would be content you otherwise wouldn't have, it would be a bonus rather than more expense for the same number of channels.

And of course if Amazon entered the fray by screening those extra matches, it would be interesting to see how BT would react to Amazon's pricing.

Paul 23-09-2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917580)
A more likely scenario would be Amazon taking over from Sky or BT

That would cost them an absolute fortune, meaning they would either have to charge very high prices (putting people off) or run at a loss (unlikely).

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917581)
That would cost them an absolute fortune, meaning they would either have to charge very high prices (putting people off) or run at a loss (unlikely).

So you think Amazon have less money to spend than Sky or BT? Where did that idea come from?

As I said previously, Amazon could pay more but also make more money than Sky by being less precious about which platforms it broadcasts on and by making available smart packages which those with less disposable income could afford.

It is highly likely that lower prices and a less monopolistic approach could actually yield increased revenue.

Raider999 23-09-2017 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917583)
So you think Amazon have less money to spend than Sky or BT? Where did that idea come from?

As I said previously, Amazon could pay more but also make more money than Sky by being less precious about which platforms it broadcasts on and by making available smart packages which those with less disposable income could afford.

It is highly likely that lower prices and a less monopolistic approach could actually yield increased revenue.

History tells us that more competition means higher prices as established broadcasters strive to retain the rights they have and new broadcasters try to break into the market (as shown by the rocketing prices as sky and BT battle for the rights)

As for the argument that there may be extra games broadcast which will be a bonus - it is only a bonus if they are free - which I seriously doubt.

I believe you can buy day tickets to sky if you wish and cannot afford the monthly subs, so you already have your wish.

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917587)
History tells us that more competition means higher prices as established broadcasters strive to retain the rights they have and new broadcasters try to break into the market (as shown by the rocketing prices as sky and BT battle for the rights)

As for the argument that there may be extra games broadcast which will be a bonus - it is only a bonus if they are free - which I seriously doubt.

I believe you can buy day tickets to sky if you wish and cannot afford the monthly subs, so you already have your wish.

Competition will ultimately bring prices down. We are likely to start seeing that within the next five years, I would say.

I disagree with your point about the extra matches. They are additional to what you have now and so if you want to pay more to view extra matches, of course that's a bonus. At least that provides additional choice.

Raider999 23-09-2017 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917597)
Competition will ultimately bring prices down. We are likely to start seeing that within the next five years, I would say.

I disagree with your point about the extra matches. They are additional to what you have now and so if you want to pay more to view extra matches, of course that's a bonus. At least that provides additional choice.

No evidence to support your view re competition - all evidence supports the opposite.

Yes they are additional to what we currently have, but having to pay for them means more money going out so hardly a bonus.

Dave42 23-09-2017 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917597)

see you keep saying that lie OB it only ever means price go up bet you still cant name one thing it has come down wont hold my breath waiting

theone2k10 23-09-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917581)

Amazon have been known to run at a loss before, the fire tv box and sticks were sold at a loss with the hope that people would sub to their Amazon prime/instant video service so i wouldn't rule it out.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35917611)
see you keep saying that lie OB it only ever means price go up bet you still cant name one thing it has come down wont hold my breath waiting

Rain :p:

but how is it a lie whilst in general prices haven't come down however more and more offers are being made by companies which in turn can bring the consumers costs down.

OLD BOY 17-10-2017 14:21

Interesting, this. It might signify that we will be getting some UHD content on demand from the BBC soon. That'll please Ddonald!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...d-wows-cannes/

denphone 17-10-2017 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920477)
Interesting, this. It might signify that we will be getting some UHD content on demand from the BBC soon. That'll please Ddonald!

And will you be pleased as lately your grumping has reached epidemic levels on here OB.;):D

muppetman11 17-10-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920477)

Or it could simply be that BBC Worldwide will release it on UHD Blu Ray.;)

OLD BOY 17-10-2017 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35920489)
Or it could simply be that BBC Worldwide will release it on UHD Blu Ray.;)

Spoilsport!

OLD BOY 18-10-2017 19:21

Is VM listening, do you think?

What's Virgin's motto? 'Keep up'?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/75855...ent-in-4k-uhd/

denphone 18-10-2017 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920713)
Is VM listening, do you think?

What's Virgin's motto? 'Keep up'?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/75855...ent-in-4k-uhd/

If you are such a severe critic of Virgin then it begs the question of why are you still with them?.

OLD BOY 18-10-2017 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35920716)
If you are such a severe critic of Virgin then it begs the question of why are you still with them?.

Because I prefer their system and value for money to Sky. However, I just wish they would live up to their motto and move a bit faster.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that, Den. I take it you are completely satisfied.

denphone 18-10-2017 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920738)
Because I prefer their system and value for money to Sky. However, I just wish they would live up to their motto and move a bit faster.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that, Den. I take it you are completely satisfied.

Yes we are currently as we are not as demanding as some who think they should have everything but forget that there is a difference between a fantasy and real actual reality.

Mr K 19-10-2017 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35920743)
Yes we are currently as we are not as demanding as some who think they should have everything but forget that there is a difference between a fantasy and real actual reality.

We should have 'everything' given the amount and size of price increases in the last few years. Hard to keep track, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 25%.

Never mind VM, have created a new post, 'Director of Connectivity', so that's all good ;)

Rob King 19-10-2017 13:26

why dont Virgin Media giving us Funbox 4k tv channel theres alot of shows to watch and let full house get it free ?

bolgerp 19-10-2017 13:54

*slightly off topic but not really*

I must admit the lack of 4K content, not just on Virgin, is the reason I am not in a hurry to buy a new 4K HDR TV. I am usually an early adopter so have been itching to upgrade my TV both in size but also technology... and I was thinking of doing so last year around this time but I waited as I was having some built in shelving made for the living room and had an aperture made so I could fit a 55" TV in it and wanted to wait until that was done before I purchased a new tv (to make sure of measurements etc). I am glad I waited as prices have come down a LOT in those 12 months and there still isn't a huge amount of 4K content, except on Amazon and netflix... and even that is limited.

BenMcr 19-10-2017 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 35920820)
why dont Virgin Media giving us Funbox 4k tv channel theres alot of shows to watch and let full house get it free ?

It just seems to be a 4K demo reel channel?

OLD BOY 24-10-2017 08:36

Services like 'Insight' might be better, although this seems not to be available beyond the US at present.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20171023...#axzz4wPOLMnJs

Raider999 24-10-2017 11:50

There is some UHD content on British TV, mostly sport via Sky Sports and BT Sports - the problem as I see it is VM is lagging well behind as it doesn't offer any of this!

Despite telling us V6 boxes are UHD ready, one wonders ready for what as it hasn't agreed deals to get this content on our screens.

BenMcr 24-10-2017 11:58

There is no indication that there is even anything to negotiate for. Both BT and Sky are using UHD content as marketing for their own platform.

You can't get BT UHD on Sky or Sky UHD on BT.

batchain 24-10-2017 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35920844)
It just seems to be a 4K demo reel channel?

"Separately, having operated a FTA demo version of Funbox 4K/UHD for the past year, Eutelsat and SPI have recently switched from the demo loop to a full channel. Funbox will also start to be encrypted from October 22."

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016...mazon-fire-tv/

denphone 24-10-2017 12:53

Not a chance of UHD coming to Virgin anytime soon IMO.

OLD BOY 24-10-2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35921668)
There is no indication that there is even anything to negotiate for. Both BT and Sky are using UHD content as marketing for their own platform.

You can't get BT UHD on Sky or Sky UHD on BT.

Which is why, in my view, Virgin needs to acquire UHD content that Sky and BT don't have.

Think Virgin Media exclusives on demand in UHD, other streaming services in UHD, and so on. I trust that Eurosport UHD will come to VM as soon as it is launched as well.

Hopefully, the BT wholesale deal can be upgraded before the existing contract comes to an end in 2019 and we can get their sports channels in UHD as part of that new contract, although I suspect that nothing will be forthcoming until 2019, assuming BT are still in the game by then.

As for Sky Sports - when is our existing contract due to be re-negotiated? I don't think Sky will actually withhold UHD, but they might want a pretty packet for it. However, that ceases to be an issue if Amazon come marching in! :D

Dave42 24-10-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921692)
Which is why, in my view, Virgin needs to acquire UHD content that Sky and BT don't have.

Think Virgin Media exclusives on demand in UHD, other streaming services in UHD, and so on. I trust that Eurosport UHD will come to VM as soon as it is launched as well.

Hopefully, the BT wholesale deal can be upgraded before the existing contract comes to an end in 2019 and we can get their sports channels in UHD as part of that new contract, although I suspect that nothing will be forthcoming until 2019, assuming BT are still in the game by then.

As for Sky Sports - when is our existing contract due to be re-negotiated? I don't think Sky will actually withhold UHD, but they might want a pretty packet for it. However, that ceases to be an issue if Amazon come marching in! :D

come on OB you know sky well enough don't you no chance they let anyone else ever have UHD sports or SA

Rob King 24-10-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by batchain (Post 35921672)
"Separately, having operated a FTA demo version of Funbox 4K/UHD for the past year, Eutelsat and SPI have recently switched from the demo loop to a full channel. Funbox will also start to be encrypted from October 22."

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016...mazon-fire-tv/

i messaged Funbox last week on face book and got this replie back

" We are looking forward to launching our channels with more platforms in the UK. So far we broadcast two Polish language channels on Virgin Media but not The International Ones "

defo not a NO then

denphone 24-10-2017 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921704)
come on OB you know sky well enough don't you no chance they let anyone else ever have UHD sports or SA

The members on here have told him that Dave but alas its very hard to convince someone as stubborn as a Alabama tick.:)

OLD BOY 24-10-2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921704)

They said that about Sky HD channels once, Dave!

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35921708)
The members on here have told him that Dave but alas its very hard to convince someone as stubborn as a Alabama tick.:)

:rolleyes:

Dave42 24-10-2017 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921722)
They said that about Sky HD channels once, Dave!

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

:rolleyes:

you know fine well only got them because VM sold sky it tv channels OB more chance of snowing in hell forever than sky letting anyone have UHD sport or SA

spiderplant 24-10-2017 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921724)
you know fine well only got them because VM sold sky it tv channels

And Sky VOD and Sky Sports Red Button? All in exchange for half a dozen dead-in-the-water channels?

Mad Max 25-10-2017 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921724)
you know fine well only got them because VM sold sky it tv channels OB more chance of snowing in hell forever than sky letting anyone have UHD sport or SA

That's absolute nonsense to make comments like " will never happen", or " more chance of it snowing in hell forever " it's already been pointed out to you by both OB, and SP, that deals were done with Sky to get HD channels, and Sky VOD and Sky Sports Red Button, so you can never say that another deal wont happen.

bubblegun 25-10-2017 03:55

I'm just guessing, but new content coming from USA is starting to be available in UHD (the derisible, Inhumans series, for example) on-demand on Sky Q boxes.

Eventually there's going to be a "live" option in red button or a new channel to watch this content. Whether this just shares bandwidth with the Sports content (on non-sports nights) who knows.

Eventually Sky will hit a critical mass of Sky Q 2Tb customers with the £12 Sky Q Multiscreen subscriptions to make a full time UHD channel viable. Given the current growth figures for Sky Q then that shouldn't be very far away, hopefully.

Given that less than half of Sky customers take Sky Sports now, it's more likely to be a channel showing US imports and Sky Original productions, i.e. a Sky Atlantic UHD channel.

Just guessing...

OLD BOY 25-10-2017 19:13

So the 2018 World Cup will be shown in UHD. Now we know that UHD will come to Virgin in 2018!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...hdr-world-cup/

muppetman11 25-10-2017 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921835)
So the 2018 World Cup will be shown in UHD. Now we know that UHD will come to Virgin in 2018!

Do we neither the BBC or ITV have UHD broadcasts setup and there's no confirmation they will.

denphone 25-10-2017 19:37

Quote:

Its every 4 years and as MM says who say they are going to show it in UHD?.

Ignitionnet 25-10-2017 19:39

Quote:

You do know that whoever in the UK has the rights has to actually broadcast the UHD feed, right?

That just means matches will be recorded in HDR UHD. What individual platforms do with the stream is up to them. It's perfectly possible that, in the UK, most of it will be transcoded down to 1080i.

VM aren't far off clearing bandwidth. Unfortunately broadband Internet needs most of it. Once the network is SDV / IPTV it's far more doable.

VM are rebuilding some older networks at the moment also. When that's done it should open up some options. For now they would have some areas unable to receive 4k which would probably cause complaints.

Dave42 25-10-2017 19:42

Quote:

since bbc or itv don't have UHD and unlikely too by June no

OLD BOY 25-10-2017 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921844)

Oh, I think the World Cup is a sufficient incentive for the BBC to bring this to us in UHD on the BBC I-Player. Nothing has been confirmed yet but watch this space!

spankysmagicpian 25-10-2017 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921853)
Oh, I think the World Cup is a sufficient incentive for the BBC to bring this to us in UHD on the BBC I-Player. Nothing has been confirmed yet but watch this space!

They are already trialling UHD on iPlayer now.

Mad Max 26-10-2017 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921844)

Dave, ffs man, cheer up...............

Dave42 26-10-2017 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35921857)
Dave, ffs man, cheer up...............

eh just stating a FACT

Barriescott 26-10-2017 03:09

They can’t even give you sky movies on demand in hd let alone uhd just a hand full of movies is hd on demand and some times the big releases are only available in sd ie Star Wars force awakens, batman verses superman, spectre when you address it with virgin they just fob you off, defo off back to sky next year

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921858)
eh just stating a FACT

It's not a fact, Dave, it's just what you think. As spanky says, they have trialled it on the i-player already, and it looked great by the way, so if the feed is provided to them on a plate, there's no reason why they can't put a bit of effort into this.

spiderplant 26-10-2017 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35921843)
For now they would have some areas unable to receive 4k which would probably cause complaints.

The same bandwidth is reserved for broadcast TV across the entire network.

Dave42 26-10-2017 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921873)
It's not a fact, Dave, it's just what you think. As spanky says, they have trialled it on the i-player already, and it looked great by the way, so if the feed is provided to them on a plate, there's no reason why they can't put a bit of effort into this.

please tell us what platform BBC and ITV UHD channels are on OB oh yeah none they don't have UHD as I said I was stating a FACT

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921883)
please tell us what platform BBC and ITV UHD channels are on OB oh yeah none they don't have UHD

The voice of doom speaks again. ;)

As already mentioned, the BBC only have to put the live feed onto the BBC i-Player. They trialled a UHD sequence on there a few months ago. As you say, there is no BBC UHD channel as yet and there probably won't be for some time.

I don't honestly know whether ITV is likely to be able to provide UHD in time for the match. I would be inclined to say that they won't be able to achieve this but I have no specific information to back that up.

Dave42 26-10-2017 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921884)

As already mentioned, the BBC only have to put the live feed onto the BBC i-Player. They trialled a UHD sequence on there a few months ago. As you say, there is no BBC UHD channel as yet and there probably won't be for some time.

I don't honestly know whether ITV is likely to be able to provide UHD in time for the match. I would be inclined to say that they won't be able to achieve this but I have no specific information to back that up.

so tell us OB how is stating a FACT voice of doom unless you don't like facts like

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 11:38

This casts a little extra light on whether the UK will benefit from seeing the World Cup in UHD.

The article lends support to the likelihood of the BBC taking advantage of this opportunity, and the probability that ITV will pass on this one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921889)
so tell us OB how is stating a FACT voice of doom unless you don't like facts like

How can it be a fact when I have already reminded you that the BBC can stream the World Cup on the i-Player? They have already tested UHD by this method.

I accept that you may not think it will happen, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Dave, in your world, nothing is ever going to change, you will never get old and you will live forever. Well, good luck with that... :walk:

Ignitionnet 26-10-2017 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35921875)
The same bandwidth is reserved for broadcast TV across the entire network.

Exactly. That's my point. Areas on 750M networks that are full won't have space for the extra multiplexes.

Dave42 26-10-2017 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921890)
This casts a little extra light on whether the UK will benefit from seeing the World Cup in UHD.

The article lends support to the likelihood of the BBC taking advantage of this opportunity, and the probability that ITV will pass on this one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

How can it be a fact when I have already reminded you that the BBC can stream the World Cup on the i-Player? They have already tested UHD by this method.

I accept that you may not think it will happen, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Dave, in your world, nothing is ever going to change, you will never get old and you will live forever. Well, good luck with that... :walk:

tell us what number the and platform UHD channel is there isn't one FACT

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35921892)
Exactly. That's my point. Areas on 750M networks that are full won't have space for the extra multiplexes.

But would that problem impact on the ability of VM to allow UHD on apps like the BBC i-Player? It doesn't appear to be a problem on Netflix or You Tube.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921893)
tell us what number the and platform UHD channel is there isn't one FACT

i-Player, Dave, i-Player. Come on, keep up! :D

Dave42 26-10-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921894)
But would that problem impact on the ability of VM to allow UHD on apps like the BBC i-Player? It doesn't appear to be a problem on Netflix or You Tube.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

i-Player, Dave, i-Player. Come on, keep up! :D

that's not a channel keep up OB I said channel :D:D:D

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921897)
that's not a channel keep up OB I said channel :D:D:D

What difference does it make that it is being streamed rather than by numbered channels on the EPG?!!

This is the way of the future, Dave and you may as well get used to it. Incidentally, the i-Player is a 'channel', but not a conventional broadcast channel.

spiderplant 26-10-2017 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35921892)

No extra multiplexes are required. The existing ones have sufficient capacity.

denphone 26-10-2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35921884)

So if someone does not agree with you there must be quite a few doom merchants on here then.:)

bolgerp 26-10-2017 13:51

I am about to purchase a new telly and will buy a 4K HDR one (still debating which model but that's another discussion).

I know there's no 4K broadcast on Virgin yet BUT does Netflix 4K work through the V6 Netflix app?

I suspect it won't work for me anyway as the amp that I route my V6 through isn't 4K capable (something else to upgrade) and I suspect I can use the Netflix app on the telly itself. But just curious if the V6 has enabled 4K through Netflix.

Apologies if answered elsewhere on the thread...

denphone 26-10-2017 13:56

Quote:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1282...shot-in-4k-hdr[COLOR="Silver"]

More links so it must happen then?.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:

Well most of your facts does not make it a true fact either as l still waiting for 99% of it to happen OB.

Mad Max 26-10-2017 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35921919)
So if someone does not agree with you there must be quite a few doom merchants on here then.:)

I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, Den, and as you know Dave is the ultimate doom merchant on here..........:D

Dave42 26-10-2017 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35921925)
I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, Den, and as you know Dave is the ultimate doom merchant on here..........:D

I ask again how is stating a fact being a doom merchant

denphone 26-10-2017 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35921925)

l know that MM as one has to have light-hearted moments but of course staying within the boundaries of good taste.:nono:

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921928)

There are a lot worse things one can be called in life.:)

RobboEdin 26-10-2017 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolgerp (Post 35921920)
I am about to purchase a new telly and will buy a 4K HDR one (still debating which model but that's another discussion).

I know there's no 4K broadcast on Virgin yet BUT does Netflix 4K work through the V6 Netflix app?

I suspect it won't work for me anyway as the amp that I route my V6 through isn't 4K capable (something else to upgrade) and I suspect I can use the Netflix app on the telly itself. But just curious if the V6 has enabled 4K through Netflix.

Apologies if answered elsewhere on the thread...

Yes V6 supports 4K, delivered by Netflix and YouTube.
Remember you need a Netflix 4K subscription.

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35921928)

It isn't, Dave. The problem is, it's not a fact. It's your view, that is all.

It is a fact, however, that the BBC have been trialling UHD broadcasting through the i-Player. Given that, I am saying that if there is going to be a World Cup feed, the Beeb are equipped to bring this to the UK audience.

I don't really understand why you are having doubts about this. Please explain.

Ignitionnet 26-10-2017 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35921905)
No extra multiplexes are required. The existing ones have sufficient capacity.

Okay - I wasn't sure how far the business was along with the MP2 -> MP4 migration.

OLD BOY 26-10-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35921919)

To my mind, constant negative comments about anything that could happen in the future do sound a bit doom laden!

I dare say when Dave's wife tells him that she'll bring a nice treat home with her in the groceries, he swears it will never happen any time soon!