Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705369)

pip08456 13-11-2017 18:40

Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35924859)
It's not quite 100%, there's a lot of hurdles yet, and as the guy who wrote Article 50 has said, we can opt out or stop at any time. A lot can change politically and economically in a year.

As for job seekers, you're making a lot of assumptions there ! Do you want to ban peaceful protests ?

Don't worry Mr. K were leaving!

Mr K 13-11-2017 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35924863)
Don't worry Mr. K were leaving!

What ? we were leaving and have now changed our minds? :D

pip08456 13-11-2017 18:51

My bad, we're leaving. Feel better now?

Mr K 13-11-2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35924867)
My bad, we're leaving. Feel better now?

Well do close the door after you, there's a terrible draught ;)

pip08456 13-11-2017 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35924871)
Well do close the door after you, there's a terrible draught ;)

I thought you'd be doing that as you set off across the channel to your beloved EU.:D

OLD BOY 13-11-2017 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35924841)
I can see Parliament attempting to amend it but they won't reject it unless there is an extension, exiting with no deal would be a disaster.

It will not be the best option, but it would be far from a diaster! The rest of the world seems to be expanding economically rather better than the EU.

And if it's only a bad deal that we are being offered, the absolutely right thing to do will be to walk away.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35924864)
What ? we were leaving and have now changed our minds? :D

Not in a million years!

TheDaddy 13-11-2017 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35924859)

As for job seekers, you're making a lot of assumptions there ! Do you want to ban peaceful protests ?

I wouldn't have thought he did, what would be the point of taking back control of our democracy if the first thing we do is ban people's right to protest against it, besides which even if they all were on jsa why should they be sanctioned, I never realised things were so strict now you had to be job hunting at home every second of every day

heero_yuy 14-11-2017 10:22

Quote:

Michael Bloomberg, the businessman and former New York mayor, said London will remain a global financial capital after Brexit.

He told the BBC that the UK's departure from the EU would probably slow the capital's growth, but would not see it eclipsed by a European rival.

London's benefits were its culture and the English language, Mr Bloomberg said.

<snip>

Mr Bloomberg added: "New York is the financial centre of the United States. London is the financial centre of Europe. It's going to stay that way for a long time."
Source

Osem 14-11-2017 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35924885)
It will not be the best option, but it would be far from a diaster! The rest of the world seems to be expanding economically rather better than the EU.

And if it's only a bad deal that we are being offered, the absolutely right thing to do will be to walk away.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Not in a million years!

Yes it's revealing to see how some people who reckon they're all for democracy don't mind overturning it to get their way. Nothing more needs to be said about them really.

Mick 14-11-2017 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35924888)
I wouldn't have thought he did, what would be the point of taking back control of our democracy if the first thing we do is ban people's right to protest against it, besides which even if they all were on jsa why should they be sanctioned, I never realised things were so strict now you had to be job hunting at home every second of every day

Where did you read that BS ?

A former colleague of mine had to stop work, resigned and had to look after her daughter for some time.

When she was ready to start work again, was on JSA. She had fortnightly interviews at Job centre, they simply ask, what jobs you like and have applied for, you respond, by saying applied for, A, B, C, which she did, most of the jobs she applied for, never heard back from them, she told DWP in the interview she not heard back, they say fine, see you in a fortnight.

They do not check whether what your saying is true, they may say, after a while of constant job rejection, after x amount of applications to improve on a job skill, they did this to my former colleague, my colleague said no, the course was too far, she was not sanctioned for not doing it.

As far as JSA goes, as long as you seem to be actively looking for work, attend the fortnightly interviews with DWP, they leave you alone.

A lot play the system still. It used to be one of my job roles, doing recruitment for new staff and many applications, you invite the person to interview and they never show up to it and I just knew it was from a JSA applicant, many application forms just had a name and address on them, many were so blank and job history info missing, meaning they know they are going to be rejected at this hurdle, again these from JSA applicants who were just playing the system, to keep getting the money.

Mr K 14-11-2017 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35924937)

Hmmm, the bit you 'snipped' out of the Bloomberg article was:-
Quote:

Recently he called Brexit the "single dumbest thing" a country has ever done.
and he also said:-

Quote:

However, he said the growth rate of the capital as a financial centre would be restrained as a result of the Brexit vote: "Some jobs will move, although they may very well be replaced here, but the growth rate of London as a financial centre is certainly not what it would be if Brexit doesn't take place."
Just so we get the full picture ;)

Mick 14-11-2017 16:47

He is totally incorrect on the ‘dumbest’ thing. I don’t want our country part of a corrupt United States of Europe.

Osem 14-11-2017 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35924978)
He is totally incorrect on the ‘dumbest’ thing. I don’t want our country part of a corrupt United States of Europe.

Agreed. If the EU was different I'd feel different but it isn't and I don't.

OLD BOY 14-11-2017 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35924982)
Agreed. If the EU was different I'd feel different but it isn't and I don't.

Personally, I would be much more at ease with a federal Europe, where politicians rather than Eurocrats were in control . That would be democratic, whereas the EU is not.

Can you imagine the UK being governed by Civil Servants? Of course not!

TheDaddy 14-11-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35924944)
Where did you read that BS ?

A former colleague of mine had to stop work, resigned and had to look after her daughter for some time.

When she was ready to start work again, was on JSA. She had fortnightly interviews at Job centre, they simply ask, what jobs you like and have applied for, you respond, by saying applied for, A, B, C, which she did, most of the jobs she applied for, never heard back from them, she told DWP in the interview she not heard back, they say fine, see you in a fortnight.

They do not check whether what your saying is true, they may say, after a while of constant job rejection, after x amount of applications to improve on a job skill, they did this to my former colleague, my colleague said no, the course was too far, she was not sanctioned for not doing it.

As far as JSA goes, as long as you seem to be actively looking for work, attend the fortnightly interviews with DWP, they leave you alone.

A lot play the system still. It used to be one of my job roles, doing recruitment for new staff and many applications, you invite the person to interview and they never show up to it and I just knew it was from a JSA applicant, many application forms just had a name and address on them, many were so blank and job history info missing, meaning they know they are going to be rejected at this hurdle, again these from JSA applicants who were just playing the system, to keep getting the money.

:confused: you been drinking or something, what bs