Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33656965)

bbxxl 14-04-2011 11:37

Re: Beginner's Guide to Testing and Improving Connection Speeds

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccojames (Post 35212400)
Link is dead, bit like the 'Superhub' I just got installed!!! :( :td:

The link only works if you are connecting through your cable network - if he tried connecting via another network you get 403 error. Just wondering how you were connecting if your Superhub isn't working.

Through Virgin the link does work (at least for me and, apparently, others).

carlwaring 14-04-2011 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 35212703)
The link only works if you are connecting through your cable network - if he tried connecting via another network you get 403 error.

Oh, okay. Fair enough I suppose. Didn't actually realise that :p:

riccojames 14-04-2011 15:06

it was through the hub, still no joy

craigj2k12 14-04-2011 16:34

its probably the firmware bug, try turning the firewall on, or if it is on, turn it off

Dustymiller 14-04-2011 20:06

pls delete

riccojames 14-04-2011 21:59

Link still dos not work and all I get is this....

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /blueyondergames/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at gamefiles.virginmedia.com Port 80

I am using the 'Superhub' urgh!!! :td:

yellowlawn 18-10-2012 15:56

If you are on Win 7 and can't use TCP software. Open a CMD window and type tracert (ip address of what you want to trace). Always try to get the ip address rather than using the website name. This bypasses the need to use DNS.

bbxxl 18-10-2012 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowlawn (Post 35486382)
If you are on Win 7 and can't use TCP software. Open a CMD window and type tracert (ip address of what you want to trace). Always try to get the ip address rather than using the website name. This bypasses the need to use DNS.

Welcome to the forum, but did you realise you just opened a thread that was last posted to 18 months ago?

richard s 04-02-2014 15:05

Has this thread been updated of late for use with SHRUB1 AND SHRUB2, PING tests, Upload and download speeds for your settings.

roughbeast 11-09-2014 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35212591)
The link is not dead as it has just worked for me here right now.

It is dead now!

stephenhdoyle 19-01-2015 21:51

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, I have a question about. I'm moving into a new place. The landlord told me that there is s virgin media connection point. But if I want WiFi I have to call them to organise for them to reconnect it. My question is does anyone know please how much it would cost to get the cheapest WiFi only deal and how long does it take to reconnect it. And lastly does it have to be for a year. Can I not just pay as you go per month. The reason is I'm only staying here for 3 to 4 months
Any help would be great.
Thanks everyone

Kushan 19-01-2015 22:47

Hi,

All of Virgin's packages come with wifi as standard. However, you cannot just pay for a few months, I think the minimum term is 12 months. You can take it with you, though (Assuming you move to a Virgin area).

stewart.a.k 30-01-2015 21:23

I wonder is anyone else suffering poor download, unload speeds?
I have been trying to sort this problem out for a few weeks now. I keep ringing Virgin media on 150 after going through all the recorded messages asking me to press this that & the other button & waiting for an answer I eventually get to speak to a human being.
Up until today they have been very helpful & patient trying to sort things out. Today the operatives reaction was you’ve got a connection so what do you expect from me.
I am paying for 150 mb/s but what I am getting is far short of this on many occasion. When connected via Ethernet I used to get 120+ but now I am getting only 16Mb/s to 70Mb/s wireless connections are of course slower.
My speeds vary in fact when looking at the graph of previous tests on speedtest.net the graph looks like a cross section of the Himalayas with all the peaks & troughs
I see I can add smilies to my message but at present I can see nothing to smile about in this regard

pip08456 31-01-2015 02:28

@stewart.a.k

Instead of posting in this sticky start a new thread in the forum. If you don't know how to get your connection stats say so and someone will advise you.

copernob 19-09-2018 01:31

As riccojames says...Link is DEAD..