Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM News Another Price Increase (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707827)

JPAC 01-07-2019 17:15

VM News Another Price Increase

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...one-customers/

copernob 01-07-2019 17:28

Re: VM News Another Price Increase

I said they would when they announced the 500Mb...I have had enough now. been with them for 26 years so might be time to say GoodBye Virgin.

P.S--What is this 'Talk Protected plans for over-65s ' I am 72 in September and not Ever Never heard of this plan.

denphone 01-07-2019 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 36001003)

Price increases are a yearly inevitability from "all providers"..

SnoopZ 01-07-2019 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001012)
Price increases are a yearly inevitability from "all providers"..

Correct, I really don't understand people here throwing their toys out the pram on a price rise when it happens years with all providers.

Ken W 01-07-2019 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 36001008)
I said they would when they announced the 500Mb...I have had enough now. been with them for 26 years so might be time to say GoodBye Virgin.

P.S--What is this 'Talk Protected plans for over-65s ' I am 72 in September and not Ever Never heard of this plan.

I also have not heard about this Talk Protected for the over 65s and I am 76.

ecart 01-07-2019 18:20

Information here. https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...line-customers

nomadking 01-07-2019 18:25

Talk Protected
Quote:

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

RichardCoulter 01-07-2019 19:50

I think it's the fact that these increases are sometimes more than once a year and that they are now always above inflation that's getting to more and more people.

I'll wait and see if mine is the full £54 a year or less and decide what to do then.

Trekkie101 02-07-2019 01:15

To be honest, hope for the above inflation rise, cancel penalty free, join a new provider through Quidco and then wait till they do the same, bounce back.

The amount of cash back I've managed to get with this is staggering, quite excited to cycle again, Virgin cancelled by end of August, over to Three 4G HomeFi thing, very good speeds at home, followed by cycling when they usually do their thing in February.

I'm quite lucky I only use my Virgin package for data so its relatively easy to flick back and forth. It'll be my second rodeo with Virgin but it works quite well across the board.

Mr K 02-07-2019 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001014)
Correct, I really don't understand people here throwing their toys out the pram on a price rise when it happens years with all providers.

Curious why you always leap to the defence of inflation busting price rises? Are you VM in disguise? ;)

denphone 02-07-2019 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001053)
Curious why you always leap to the defence of inflation busting price rises? Are you VM in disguise? ;)

No one is leaping to the defence of any supplier as SnoopZ succinctly pointed out that "there are regular price rises yearly with all suppliers" Mr K.

Mr K 02-07-2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001056)
No one is leaping to the defence of any supplier as SnoopZ succinctly pointed out that "there are regular price rises yearly with all suppliers" Mr K.

Den old chap, do you know the difference between an inflation related rise and this one? And all the other similar inflation busting increases in recent years? What we have is a duopoly between Sky/VM. Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

Past experience has shown we need to be wary of the average price rise VM quote in their press releases (4.9%) in this case. Their calculations can be a mystery as many customers get a lot more.

SnoopZ 02-07-2019 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001053)

I'm not, you know full well we always get price rises but you always make it sound like the reason for the price rise is because they upped the broadband speed or added a few extra TV channels.... We have had years where we have had no speed increase and prices have still gone up....same goes for Sky BT etc etc.

But it doesn't matter what i say there will be always people that blame price rises on service changes, it happens with mobile contracts, utilities, everything.

I'm not defending at all i am as pissed off as anyone with prices rises, but what do i do, cancel the internet and TV and go back to normal TV? Change to another supplier like so many here threaten to do only for that other supplier to also do a yearly inflation busting price rise?

Mr K if you're not happy then cancel and i will be interested to see where you go. ;)

denphone 02-07-2019 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001058)
Den old chap, do you know the difference between an inflation related rise and this one? And all the other similar inflation busting increases in recent years? What we have is a duopoly between Sky/VM. Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

l know exactly what the difference is Mr K and the pure and simple question that faces each customer at the end of the day is if they don't find inflation busting price rises very agreeable "There is a whole big market of different suppliers out there other then VM or Sky to choose from if they are not happy at the end of the day with the price rises".

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Quote:

Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

There have been several competition enquiries in the past unless you did not notice that.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:

Past experience has shown we need to be wary of the average price rise VM quote in their press releases (4.9%) in this case. Their calculations can be a mystery as many customers get a lot more.

Just for balance Mr K there are those who might get a lesser price rise one suspects as well.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001062)

But it doesn't matter what i say there will be always people that blame price rises on service changes, it happens with mobile contracts, utilities, everything.

I'm not defending at all i am as pissed off as anyone with prices rises, but what do i do, cancel the internet and TV and go back to normal TV? Change to another supplier like so many here threaten to do only for that other supplier to also do a yearly inflation busting price rise?

Mr K if you're not happy then cancel and i will be interested to see where you go. ;)

Well summed up and l am sure Mr K will feel the same once he takes his anti-Virgin blinkers off.

SnoopZ 02-07-2019 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trekkie101 (Post 36001042)
To be honest, hope for the above inflation rise, cancel penalty free, join a new provider through Quidco and then wait till they do the same, bounce back.

The amount of cash back I've managed to get with this is staggering, quite excited to cycle again, Virgin cancelled by end of August, over to Three 4G HomeFi thing, very good speeds at home, followed by cycling when they usually do their thing in February.

I'm quite lucky I only use my Virgin package for data so its relatively easy to flick back and forth. It'll be my second rodeo with Virgin but it works quite well across the board.

That would be something to do but for me switching from VM to BT is rather difficult as i have never been connected via BT properly so could prove expensive, i also don't want to drop my internet speed down to 50Mbps.