Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Things are finally going right! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709444)

Anonymouse 17-10-2020 21:27

Things are finally going right!

After I lost my job, only 20 days later (thankfully!) I got a new one. The job itself was fine: much easier work, no heavy lifting (lots of light lifting I was well able to cope with), and colleagues who aren't overgrown kids, plus very good pay. The only kicker was the nightmare commute...between Bolton and Sheffield.

Picture it: Bolton to Man Picc; Man Picc to Leeds (after a fair bit of waiting time); Leeds to Thurnscoe (nearest station and more waiting time); cycle ride, 2.5 miles, to ASOS Barnsley/XPO Logistics.

After a week, though, I discovered there's a private bus service between the site and Sheffield, so the commute became a bit easier...but no less expensive, and it still took hours, It was really starting to get to me. Getting home on Sunday morning (night shift was Tue - Sat) was the worst - Sheffield station doesn't even open until 7:30...and the first train to Man Picc isn't till just after 9am. I was getting home at 12pm or later on Sundays, utterly shattered. More than once I nodded off and missed my stop, having to come back from Westhoughton, and not just on Sundays.

However, one of my trainers mentioned a site XPO have at Trafford Park, a much easier and cheaper commute. I looked into this, but after a few weeks when nothing seemed to be happening as regards an official transfer or whatever, I took matters into my own hands - and myself to the site.

This involved a bit of Google research and much use of Maps to work out a train/cycle route via Trafford Park, though my new phone has a very useful map app (I will reluctantly admit I should've got a proper smartphone ages ago, it's just that I hate the damn things and see them as a necessary evil). I talked to Personnel there and explained the situation, i.e. I was very happy with every aspect of the job except one, and could I perhaps come to work here instead?

It worked! Not long after I was invited to an induction, and this Monday I started work at Missguided!

I like the name, it's such a clever pun. And this job's even easier: stock control, i.e. checking contents of cartons in shelf locations: does this carton actually contain 50 crop tops, or 8 hoodies, or 20 white thongs size 14, or are there only 47/7/19 of each?

The best way to get things done these days is to make them happen. So I did. I have cut about 2 hours off my commute and it now costs a third of what it did: Bolton - Man Picc, walk/cycle/tram (dealer's choice) to Picc Gardens, 250 bus to almost the front gate, just 200 or so yards away. Result!

Hugh 17-10-2020 21:32

Re: Things are finally going right!

Well done - pleased it’s all worked out for you.

SnoopZ 17-10-2020 21:34

Is learning to drive an option as it always seems your commute is the problem?

Chris 17-10-2020 21:35

So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs? :D

SnoopZ 17-10-2020 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36054187)
So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs? :D

:D

Julian 17-10-2020 23:40

Glad to see thongs are looking up for you........

Anonymouse 19-10-2020 17:20

Driving's out. I don't want to know. In a previous job they had us driving 3.5 ton delivery vans, learning to back them onto delivery bays, but I could not get the hang of it. Driving's like flying: you need to have a feel for it. Some people do, some don't. I don't. Besides, I've had my fill of accidents just on a bike. :p:

Anonymouse 20-10-2020 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36054187)

No, it's just the location; the vast majority of clothes I've dealt with up to press have been tops, leggings and T-shirts. Thongs have been very seldom as yet, and now you've got me doing it! :p:

Can't help but remember Pinocchio in one of the Shrek films; he states, "I'm wearing women's underwear"...and nothing happens re his nose.

"You mean you are wearing women's underwear?" Donkey asks.

"I most certainly am not!" (nose grows!)

"You most certainly am are!"

"Am not!" (nose grows again!)

"What kind?" Puss inquires.

"It's a THONG!" cries Gingerbread Man.

Anonymouse 09-12-2020 03:33

Unfortunately the thread title is now inaccurate...because we have now returned to the scheduled programme called My Sucky Life. Due to low work volume about a dozen agency staff have been laid off...including me.

Here we go again...:(

On a slightly brighter note, apparently my Universal Credit claim is still being processed - I thought it was odd when I didn't get anything, but it seems I will in 2 days' time. For the current situation I just had to submit a 'change of circumstances' form and start looking for work again.

Halcyon 09-12-2020 10:31

Never give up!

I totally agree with you. The best way to get things done is to get on and do it.
It only takes a few moments to ask and if you don't ask you'll never know.

I wish you luck in finding something soon but it sounds like you definitely have the right attitude and will get there.

Anonymouse 10-12-2020 09:35

Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon! :D

denphone 10-12-2020 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36061609)
Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon! :D

Good luck Anonymouse.

heero_yuy 10-12-2020 10:22

Quote:

Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages. :erm:

papa smurf 10-12-2020 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36061623)
Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages. :erm:

A bit like tossing the caber ;)

RichardCoulter 10-12-2020 21:30

Quote:

Tell them that you used to love knocking on people's doors and running away when you were a child and that you never grew out of it.....you're sure to get a job with them :D

Hugh 10-12-2020 21:49

Quote:

I hope it went well.

Paul 10-12-2020 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36061761)
Tell them that you used to love knocking on people's doors and running away when you were a child and that you never grew out of it.....you're sure to get a job with them :D

Old Joke, but still amusing. :D

Anonymouse 11-12-2020 00:19

I did get the job. I'm starting on Monday!

denphone 11-12-2020 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36061786)

That is great news.:tu:

RichardCoulter 11-12-2020 05:19

Well done.

Paul 11-12-2020 05:45

Quote:

Good to hear. :)

heero_yuy 11-12-2020 07:20

Quote:

Congratulations. :tu:

Chris 11-12-2020 08:02

Excellent. Will there be thongs?

joglynne 11-12-2020 10:14

Quote:

Well done Mr Mouse. My guy had 290 parcels to deliver yesterday all out of the Warrington depot so I assume you will be kept very busy. Take care sweetie and stay safe.

Hugh 11-12-2020 10:16

Quote:

Well done - what will the travel be like?

SnoopZ 11-12-2020 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36061821)
Well done Mr Mouse. My guy had 290 parcels to deliver yesterday all out of the Warrington depot so I assume you will be kept very busy. Take care sweetie and stay safe.

He doesn't drive so would take a while on his push bike! Lol

joglynne 11-12-2020 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36061835)
He doesn't drive so would take a while on his push bike! Lol

:shocked: I was assuming that Mr Mouse was going to be working at the depot. :D

TheDaddy 11-12-2020 13:08

Quote:

Well done, just in time for Christmas to

Anonymouse 12-12-2020 02:51

The commute's easy enough: Bolton to Oxford Road, then to Warrington West, followed by an easy bike ride - easy because there aren't any hills to speak of. Plus the place is indeed busy, judging by the number of cars in the car park, so the job should be secure enough.

I hope. I'm sick and tired of being declared surplus to requirements, it's happened at Husco, Missguided and somewhere else I forget (so many jobs I've had...).

That's one reason I don't like this newfound dependency on employment agencies: people don't get enough protection against being casually cast aside with little or no consideration for their welfare. To be honest, I'm astounded that I managed to get a job this side of the New Year; I really expected things to be slack on the job front so close to Xmas.

Occasionally it's good to be wrong! :p:

Halcyon 14-12-2020 11:37

Good to know you got the job Anonymouse. :tu:

I hope it goes well for you.

Anonymouse 19-12-2020 11:05

Well, my first week at Hermes is done. The job is immensely complex and difficult; it runs like this:

1) Turn up for work and report to reception for work assignment, i.e. which area I'll be working in

2) Report to team leader in said area for specific bay assignment

3) Take parcel out of cage or trailer or off pallet

4) Place parcel on conveyor belt, barcode facing upwards to be scanned

5) Repeat from 3 until break time

6) Have half-hour break

7) Repeat from 3 until end of shift

8) Er...no, actually that's pretty much it. :p:

The training course was very demanding - training consisted of being instructed to do 3 & 4.

There is a somewhat blasé attitude towards handling at Hermes, I've noticed, but I handle the goods carefully. On my last shift, for example, one trailer I was unloading was filled with stacks of boxes - some of which were IMO way too heavy to be on top of such tall stacks. I had to effectively cause a controlled partial collapse of each stack so as to grab the top box and then each box below that in turn, making sure as far as possible to prevent the parcels from dropping onto a) the floor and b), far more importantly, me. Had I not been 5'10" with long arms I doubt I could have coped alone.

I didn't always manage it; I got knocked on the noggin a few times, fortunately not by anything heavy. Only 5 of the 500 or so boxes I handled on that trailer were damaged, and water damaged at that - one had fallen in transit, split open and damaged the other four when the contents leaked. None were damaged by my careless handling because I didn't handle them carelessly.

It would have been simpler and quicker (and arguably safer for me), admittedly, just to push over each stack - but that might have damaged some. So with me, at least, your Amazon (or Missguided, or ASOS, or Prettylittlething, or In The Style [Clothes won't change the world but the women who wear them will], or Wynsors, or whatever) goods are in safe hands...from cage/pallet/trailer to conveyor belt, at least.

After that, of course, it's out of my hands. :p:

Next week will be a short one for me, i.e. only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights - the only shift running on Christmas Eve is the 6am - 2pm shift, which is just as well because of course there are no trains or buses on Christmas Day and thus I'd be stuck at Hermes if I worked Thursday night. Saturday and Sunday I'd be off in any case.

Thus for the first time since February, I am finally, finally getting a few days off work!

To explain: I was originally planning to take the last week in August (for Redemption '20) and the first week in September off, but Covid-19 and being sacked from AO put paid to that. Then at ASOS I booked a week off in November to coincide with my birthday, but then of course I left to work at Missguided. There I booked the same week off, but then of course I was laid off and thus I only got the holiday pay, not the actual holiday!

True, it's only 2 days (4 with the weekend), but it is a break. I need it. This year's taken a lot out of me what with one thing and another, and I...am...tired.

joglynne 19-12-2020 11:22

Well done Mr Mouse. Hopefully your diligence will be noticed and will pay dividends.

The one thing that seems to be happening is that the amount we are all ordering off the internet is increasing and firm like Hermes will need people who believe in working for their pay and not just doing the least amount of work possible.

Enjoy your time off sweetie you have certainly earned it considering the way you have kept going after so many lay offs this year.

Jo xx

Anonymouse 27-01-2021 13:42

Unfortunately things aren't going well at the moment. I was off all last week with a bad cough and I felt (almost) well enough to go in this Monday night. But since I still had the cough I was turned away.

Turns out that was the right call: I got myself tested the next day and the result, to my surprise, was positive. I don't know how I caught it but apparently I have, so now I'm stuck at home self-isolating.

Oh well. Everything else I've ever caught I've beaten, and I'll beat this, too. Takes more than a damn virus to finish me off!

Mr K 27-01-2021 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36068406)
Unfortunately things aren't going well at the moment. I was off all last week with a bad cough and I felt (almost) well enough to go in this Monday night. But since I still had the cough I was turned away.

Turns out that was the right call: I got myself tested the next day and the result, to my surprise, was positive. I don't know how I caught it but apparently I have, so now I'm stuck at home self-isolating.

Oh well. Everything else I've ever caught I've beaten, and I'll beat this, too. Takes more than a damn virus to finish me off!

Good luck. More than likely you'll be fine. Catch up on some of those boxsets we all never get round to.

Paul 27-01-2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36068407)
Good luck. More than likely you'll be fine.

For once Im in agreement with Mr K. I hope you feel better soon.

TheDaddy 27-01-2021 15:25

Best of luck to you

joglynne 27-01-2021 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36068406)

Ah bad luck Mr mouse. I hope you are feeling better soon. Make the most of your time off and remember we are here if you want a natter.xx

Maggy 28-01-2021 09:39

Good luck and I hope everything goes your way.Fingers crossed

Anonymouse 28-01-2021 19:41

As of today I do feel a bit better. I'm not coughing as much and my headache's easing. But I've completely lost track of my sleeping patterns; I'm not even sure if I have slept the last two days, though I suppose I must have at some point since I do feel wide awake. I have three seasons of Westworld I've been getting round to watching for ages now, but I'm not really in the mood.

I hate being ill. :(

I think season 5 of Red Dwarf might be called for. Loved The Inquisitor:

Lister: 'ang on, why do we have to take any notice of some crazed rogue robot who's appointed 'imself judge and jury to the whole of humanity? Why should we kowtow to his judgement?
Inquisitor (through Lister): Because I have the power to snap your body in two like a dry reed!!!
Lister (gasping): Good answer, man, good answer!

Inquisitor: You have been granted the greatest gift of all: the gift of life. Tell me - what have you done to deserve this superlative good fortune?
Rimmer: Well, I say this with the highest respect, but...what gives you the right to ask - no, actually, demand - that answer of me - your magnificence? (this last is delivered hurriedly with a bow)
Inquisitor: ALL must answer to the Inquisitor!
Rimmer: But how do I know I'll get a fair hearing?
Inquisitor: Because...like all who stand before the Inquisitor...your judge shall be... (he flips up his visor, revealing...Rimmer!) ...yourself!
Rimmer: Oh, smeg.
Inquisitor Rimmer: 'Oh, smeg' indeed, matey!
Rimmer: Everyone is judged by their own self?
Inquisitor Rimmer: It's a bit metaphysical, I know, but it's the only fair way. Now then: justify yourself.
Rimmer: Well...first, I've -
Inquisitor Rimmer: Liar!

Inquisitor Cat: Justify your existence. What contribution have you made?
Cat: I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!
Inquisitor Cat: Well, that's true.
Cat: Can I go now?
Inquisitor Cat: ...That's your case?!
Cat: You need more?!
Inquisitor Cat: Some might say that's a pretty shallow argument.
Cat: Some might say I'm a pretty shallow guy, but a shallow guy with a great ass!

Inquisitor Kryten: Well, Kryten? Justify yourself.
Kryten: I'm not sure I can.
Inquisitor Kryten: But surely your life is replete with good works? There can be few individuals who have lived a more selfless life.
Kryten: But I am programmed to live unselfishly. And therefore, any good works I do come not out of fine motives, but as a result of a series of binary commands I am compelled to obey.
Inquisitor Kryten: Well, then, how can any mechanical justify himself?
Kryten: Perhaps only if he attempted to break his programming and conduct his life according to a set of values he arrived at independently.
Inquisitor Kryten: Your argument invites deletion.
Kryten: The rules are yours, not mine.
Inquisitor Kryten: Do you wish to be erased?
Kryten: I am programmed not to wish for anything. I serve.
Inquisitor Kryten: In a human, this type of behaviour could be considered "stubborn".
Kryten: But I am not human. And neither are you. And it is not our place to judge them. I wonder why you do.
Inquisitor: (closing his visor) Enough!

Inquisitor Lister: (Opening his visor) Well, get out o' this one, smeghead.
Lister: What are you talking about?
Inquisitor Lister: You know what you could have made of your life if you'd tried, what you could've become.
Lister: So?
Inquisitor Lister: You've got brains, man, brains you've never used.
Lister: So?
Inquisitor Lister: So justify yourself.
Lister: Spin on it!

- classic stuff!

Dude111 29-01-2021 23:20

Im so glad things are going g00d buddy!!!!

Anonymouse 31-01-2021 12:27

Welll...

Self-isolation's up, so I've finally done some shopping. But I hadn't realised how much this thing has taken out of me - it's only a short trip, bit more than a mile round trip, but I'm shattered. Plus the cough's still with me, so I am not going in this week. They'll just turn me away again if I do and that's a train fare wasted. It's not a problem if they get enough notice.

But if this is what a short shopping trip does to me, I don't even want to think about what work would be like. No, I'm not chancing it. :(

joglynne 31-01-2021 13:43

Seems a sensible decision. You can't be the first person your firm has had to deal with, as you say keep them in the picture. xx