Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : Season 2019/2020 Football (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707757)

denphone 28-08-2019 09:06

Re: Season 2019/2020 Football

Indeed the "fit and proper persons" test is not worth the paper it is written on sadly.

iadom 28-08-2019 10:17

Playing devils advocate here but I wonder if anyone has compiled the attendance and performance stats of the Greater Manchester area teams since the oil money poured into Man City. In all the years of United’s dominance of the PL all of the other local teams enjoyed success of varying degrees. Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham Athletic, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale, Stockport County, even Man City had several ups and downs in that time . Five of those teams including City all tasted PL football during that period and all appeared to at least maintain their fan base. The first of those teams to fall out of the league where Stockport County and it’s well known that a large part of City’s fan base is from Stockport. Now Bury have gone with Bolton staring over the edge and Oldham Athletic hanging on by their finger nails.

I have absolutely no idea if the stats support my hypothesis but it makes me wonder.

denphone 28-08-2019 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36007819)
Playing devils advocate here but I wonder if anyone has compiled the attendance and performance stats of the Greater Manchester area teams since the oil money poured into Man City. In all the years of United’s dominance of the PL all of the other local teams enjoyed success of varying degrees. Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham Athletic, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale, Stockport County, even Man City had several ups and downs in that time . Five of those teams including City all tasted PL football during that period and all appeared to at least maintain their fan base. The first of those teams to fall out of the league where Stockport County and it’s well known that a large part of City’s fan base is from Stockport. Now Bury have gone with Bolton staring over the edge and Oldham Athletic hanging on by their finger nails.

I have absolutely no idea if the stats support my hypothesis but it makes me wonder.

Yes l think there is quite a lot of substance in your hypothesis Jim as maybe there is someone around who has compiled the attendance and performance statistics of the Greater Manchester area teams since the oil money started pouring into Man City.

It would be interesting to see.

iadom 28-08-2019 11:03

One thing I do know, the trams from Bury are rammed full of City supporters on match days.

denphone 28-08-2019 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36007825)
One thing I do know, the trams from Bury are rammed full of City supporters on match days.

Fair-weather supporters perhaps?.

Carth 28-08-2019 11:25

Attendances probably do play a part in the scenario, however I think money is at the root of this evil.

Teams newly promoted to the Championship with a League 1 budget, playing against teams recently (up to 3yrs) relegated from the premiership with their multi £million handouts. This leads to some teams believing they have to get into heavy debt to fund better players . . and pay existing players a higher wage too.

Teams relegated from the Premiership /Championship still carrying players on long contracts the clubs can ill afford, and the players unwilling to move or renegotiate. (Stoke, Sunderland for example).

Unscrupulous people buying clubs in debt then using nefarious means to nullify the debt and then make a nice few quid . . at the expense of club and fans usually.

Too many clubs trying to buy their way to promotion (by getting into debt), and then being saddled with interest payments they can't afford to repay . . Bury as a case in point?

iadom 28-08-2019 11:36

From what I have read there are some very dodgy loan/mortgage deals tied to the Gigg Lane ground with extortionate interest rates involved.

Clubs have always gone under, I can remember Wigan Athletic and Accrington Stanley being booted out the league many years ago. It’s just the concentration of so many clubs really struggling in such a small area that gives me pause for thought.

denphone 28-08-2019 11:42

There is quite a list of clubs who have entered into administration or CVA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admini...itish_football)

Carth 28-08-2019 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36007830)
It’s just the concentration of so many clubs really struggling in such a small area that gives me pause for thought.

Good point, Both the Manchester clubs and the Liverpool clubs (well one of) could well be taking their toll on the fan base of smaller clubs in the area.
Oh and let's not forget the impact of live TV games on all of this, especially with ticket price and transport costs . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36007831)
There is quite a list of clubs who have entered into administration or CVA.

There are a heck of a lot that escaped by the skin of their teeth too, and many previously well known clubs that now languish down in the darker depths of the leagues . . through one reason or another.

denphone 28-08-2019 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36007834)

There are a heck of a lot that escaped by the skin of their teeth too, and many previously well known clubs that now languish down in the darker depths of the leagues . . through one reason or another.

Exactly as l reckon in the Football league pyramid currently that at least half the clubs are struggling to make ends meet one week to the next.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:

Good point, Both the Manchester clubs and the Liverpool clubs (well one of) could well be taking their toll on the fan base of smaller clubs in the area.

l did notice that you naughty man..:D:D

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Quote:

Oh and let's not forget the impact of live TV games on all of this, especially with ticket price and transport costs . .

Look at the amount of live games on TV now and then there are many others means for supporters to follow their clubs without going to the game.

Ticket prices have become way too expensive for most of Joe Public.

And transport costs especially for longer trips plus accomadation overnight are very pricey as well.

Mr K 28-08-2019 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36007836)
Exactly as l reckon in the Football league pyramid currently that at least half the clubs are struggling to make ends meet one week to the next.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

l did notice that you naughty man..:D:D

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Look at the amount of live games on TV now and then there are many others means for supporters to follow their clubs without going to the game.

Ticket prices have become way too expensive for most of Joe Public.

And transport costs especially for longer trips plus accomadation overnight are very pricey as well.

There is a certain league that could afford to give more back to rest of the game, instead of wasting tens of millions on the latest numpty.

denphone 28-08-2019 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36007887)
There is a certain league that could afford to give more back to rest of the game, instead of wasting tens of millions on the latest numpty.

l agree Mr K but l cannot see it happening.

iadom 28-08-2019 22:29

A nice little earner for one of my second teams, The Dale have been drawn away to United in League Cup.:cool:

Julian 28-08-2019 22:38

An interesting draw for the next round............................

denphone 29-08-2019 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36007904)
An interesting draw for the next round............................

Indeed as my brothers and l will certainly be looking forward to that one above all other matches..;)

---------- Post added at 04:38 ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36007902)
A nice little earner for one of my second teams, The Dale have been drawn away to United in League Cup.:cool:

What about your third , fourth and fifth team..;)