Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

kronas 31-07-2004 20:24

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacedude2k4
LOL like the perfect salesmen talks about how to use and work with NTL but hell no would he ever use it himself LOL, I'm only with NTL because we have there telly and phone line otherwise I think i would be Blue Yonder 3mb.....still tempting....

you can get blueyonder ?

what are you waiting for you mad man!!! go get it 3mbit that is :Yikes: :Sprint:

TheShadow 31-07-2004 20:27

I might get 3Mbps when I move to a TW enabled area later this year.

Might be worth waiting to see if it comes down in price though. You don't want to be stuck on a 50/month contract while it could be available for 3x/month a little later.

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 20:27

Its knowing NTL will still be billing me 4months time for a 1mb NTL broadband line even when i don't have it... I just know it....its NTL aka when broke down NTHELL

:cool:

kronas 31-07-2004 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadow
I might get 3Mbps when I move to a TW enabled area later this year.

Might be worth waiting to see if it comes down in price though. You don't want to be stuck on a 50/month contract while it could be available for 3x/month a little later.

if your under contract your under contract for them to provide services, if the price decreases irrespective of what the price was when you signed up to then you will still be eligble to pay the new price, if its a decrease or increase.

im sure this applies to TW, although im open to correction. :p:

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 20:48

I agree there i Mean ntl 1mb was £35 then went upto £37.99 and i have had to pay the increase although now I heard im getting 1.5mb soon i wont complain, although the 3mb Blue Yonder still tempts me, just the crap 256kps upload which annoys me about it come on Blue Yonder if u read this give us a 512kbs upload and I'm yours :D

badnbusy 31-07-2004 20:51

peacedude2k4, you are in both an ntl and telewest blueyonder area?

Just read your other thread....you say you're in Rochdale.... Telewest blueyonder aint available in Rochdale!

nate 31-07-2004 20:51

Quote:

I agree there i Mean ntl 1mb was £35 then went upto £37.99 and i have had to pay the increase although now I heard im getting 1.5mb soon i wont complain, although the 3mb Blue Yonder still tempts me, just the crap 256kps upload which annoys me about it come on Blue Yonder if u read this give us a 512kbs upload and I'm yours :D

How can you go to Blueyonder if you are in an NTL area?

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 20:54

Well so I heard you can get them around here :dozey: I mean i can change providers right NTL aint like a death contract, depends how good this 1.5mb is when it arrives.

nate 31-07-2004 20:58

No, there can only be one cable provider in each area.
If you 're with NTL, then that's whos in your area, not Telewest.

Each has monopoly in their own specified parts of the country.

Your only other (real) option is DSL with BT.

badnbusy 31-07-2004 20:58

Nope. Only ntl is available in (parts) or Rochdale. Theres no Telewest anywhere close. Liverpool or Sheffield are the closest places I know of to the North West that has Telewest.

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 21:00

BT arrrghh ban him for swearing, i hate BT with all my heart. I would even use AOL before I use BT.

Thanks for information looks like I'm jammed into NTL then :/

badnbusy 31-07-2004 21:01

Im afraid you are :(

Why not get ADSL without using BT as the ISP though?

Eg Plusnet, Freedom2Surf, Nildram etc....

nate 31-07-2004 21:01

I meant BT DSL, as BT own the DSL network.

Plus, if you were did go to AOL broadband, you would partly be using BT :P

nate 31-07-2004 21:02

Quote:

Thanks for information looks like I'm jammed into NTL then :/

Are NTL really that bad?

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 22:31

Yeah sometimes they are sluggish bandwith repeated disconnections, e-mail which is more part time then the call centres.

I hope they start to sort these issues out cos we do like NTL for there prices but right now they being a ass

Paul 31-07-2004 23:30

This is drifting off topic again - can we keep to the speed upgrades please. :)

Pea-Pod 31-07-2004 23:31

I have not got the speed increase yet, still showing 518Kbps

XEviLX 31-07-2004 23:33

Quote:

Yeah sometimes they are sluggish bandwith repeated disconnections, e-mail which is more part time then the call centres.

I hope they start to sort these issues out cos we do like NTL for there prices but right now they being a ass

i think this free speed upgrade is going to our heads all we talk about is how bad ntl is what about the good points. when ntl complete the upgrades everyone will be happy and not have a bad word to say about ntl

paulyoung666 31-07-2004 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pea-Pod
I have not got the speed increase yet, still showing 518Kbps

same here from teesside , ho hum i reckon i will have to wait a while longer :erm:

Stuart 01-08-2004 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
Hence we do things weekday mornings in the small hours.

So, to put it bluntly, if something goes wrong badly, hopefully it can be fixed before it affects loads of people. Actually, where I work , we do the same thing (although our network is on nowhere the same scale as NTL).

jtwn 01-08-2004 00:21

What sort of times in the morning do they do the upgrades? :D

Is it random?

kronas 01-08-2004 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
What sort of times in the morning do they do the upgrades? :D

Is it random?

anytime between 00:00 and 05:00 check the server status page if your area is included in any works or maintanence.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 00:35

Hey i know i was off topic but if i hated NTL i would not be with them on telephone tv and bb. ;)

Thanks for info on upgrade time although for 1.5mb upgrades i belive its around September :dozey:

AHHHH well think ill look into that alienware laptop... :p: :cool:

Kliro 01-08-2004 01:33

w00t think I just got upgraded, as Im getting speeds up on 40kb/s now :D

dev 01-08-2004 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliro
w00t think I just got upgraded, as Im getting speeds up on 40kb/s now :D

i'm still on 600k in manchester :(

Kliro 01-08-2004 02:24

Whereabouts?

dev 01-08-2004 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliro
Whereabouts?

stretford/urmston i suppose

Kliro 01-08-2004 02:32

Well Im in Sale and a mate in Withington is done

dev 01-08-2004 02:37

stb or stand alone modem?

also did you reboot stb/modem or did it do it auto?

Chrysalis 01-08-2004 04:26

well downtime for upgrades don't matter to me, you didnt hear me slag of ntl once I knew the leics outage was for upgrades, I am hoping I get an upgrade sometime this week.

BBking I am curious why ntl are so secretive over the upgrades, compare this to BT who have public online records for each telephone exchnge showing the status of how long before upgrade and estimated date of upgrade to NTL who have staff who know but cannot report estimated date's trust me when I say thats bad public relations. NTL should never have announced this back in may if they were unable to act up on it in a decent timeframe.

smallethic 01-08-2004 08:32

1st August has arrived but no sign of an upgrade here in Norwich (600 cable modem customer).

poolking 01-08-2004 09:25

Has anyone actually read the posts stating that it would be highly unlikely that NTL would do such a thing on a Sunday?

th'engineer 01-08-2004 09:44

Quote:

what you say is quite true over the last few weeks there have been a few problems with cable in rochdale. Even the tv started playing up it was like that for a week. We have not even got the upgrade round here

Chrysalis 01-08-2004 10:10

yeah same here i read the post saying not sunday so hopefully tommorow.

whiteswan 01-08-2004 10:18

Yep...........

NOWT in Owdum yet...............in fact my tests show that I have slowed down to about 800!

Dave

beardsley 01-08-2004 10:36

I notice that I now have a new configuration file: tmota4100-gold.cm rather than mota4100-gold.cm. Speed is still 1 meg.

Could this be something to do with the upgrade?

badnbusy 01-08-2004 11:01

t for trial maybe? I am suprised at how many people on this forum live in Oldham/Rochdale ;)

downquark1 01-08-2004 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dev
i'm still on 600k in manchester :(

Same, is there anything likely to help like rebooting STB?

paulyoung666 01-08-2004 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1
Same, is there anything likely to help like rebooting STB?

wouldnt hurt to try i suppose :)

swoop101 01-08-2004 11:24

Mine updated all by itself, I only noticed the extra speed when I d/l a new Nvidia driver the next morning.

Graham F 01-08-2004 12:00

OMG wish people would learn to read ;)

it clearly says in the news article posted on CF that
Quote:

SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem)

150/600/1 Meg Start 1st August

which tends to mean that it will start then not that everyone will be done then.. so have paitence people :p::)

shamstar 01-08-2004 12:01

Well, no speed upgrade in Reading yet. I don't think it was mentioned before but it seems likely now and also makes sense that NTL would upgrade certain areas at a time. That way they could control the load and monitor the network better - rather than causing a surge. Lets hope that if this is the case, then they decide to do a few areas every day and that way we can all get the upgrade sooner!

rustedfaith 01-08-2004 12:02

anyone know if nottinghams sorted yet?? i'm at NG16, and no difference here..

byron_hinson 01-08-2004 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
OMG wish people would learn to read ;)

it clearly says in the news article posted on CF that

which tends to mean that it will start then not that everyone will be done then.. so have paitence people :p::)

I thought it had basically been said by NTL that those dates were wrong? so no point looking for the increase today.

rustedfaith 01-08-2004 12:14

ah i see - ntl's 'lets not confirm anything' policy still holding fast. Dunno about you chaps, butthis could have been a huge opportunity for NTL to have a really positive PR excercise - wasted opportunity i reckon.

BBKing 01-08-2004 13:16

Quote:

BBking I am curious why ntl are so secretive over the upgrades,
Not up to me - I'd be splashing press releases all over the place as soon as it started personally. Perhaps that is what will happen...

Quote:

tmota4100-gold.cm rather than mota4100-gold.cm
t for 'temp' - you'll be moved back to the original filename when your area is uplifted. STBs don't work like this, incidentally.

2||Para 01-08-2004 13:21

Nothing in Cambridge area PE29 yet,We live in hope......

Ben 01-08-2004 13:42

A freind here in Stevenage is on 1Mbit and has had his upgrade...

Nothing for me on 600k yet tho :(

*edit - I just upgraded to 1Mbit and its come though with the full 1.5Mbit :) <-- happy chappie

MindfreeZe 01-08-2004 15:01

Still no increase in my 1Mbit in Belfast.......:o

ppolo99 01-08-2004 15:15

me neither, im just glad somethings happening and progress is being made. eventually everyone will get done sooner or later i suppose

clayts 01-08-2004 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustedfaith

Nope :(

Paul 01-08-2004 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustedfaith

I am in NG16 and no, we have not been upgraded yet.

bobna 01-08-2004 16:25

anyone in the huddersfield area got the upgrade yet?

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 16:27

OK just to clarify for some who may not have read into it the 1mb users are being upgraded from 1st September right?

150 and 600k is from the 1st August

Stephen Downing 01-08-2004 16:33

No that's not correct at all peacedude2k4, all users on cable modems are being upgraded from August 1st no matter what their level of service. All users on set top box modems are being upgraded from September 1st.

dev 01-08-2004 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Downing
No that's not correct at all peacedude2k4, all users on cable modems are being upgraded from August 1st no matter what their level of service. All users on set top box modems are being upgraded from September 1st.

set top box users have started to be upgraded already

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 16:36

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I use a Ambit USB cable modem seperate from the stb, so I am due sometime this month......

Getting interesting this now

nate 01-08-2004 16:38

No change in Cardiff, but wasn't expecting any on a Sunday.
Works are usually done Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Stephen Downing 01-08-2004 16:40

Are you sure about stb users dev since although their boxes might have been upgraded to the Samsungs I was under the impression that their speed upgrade would not be until September.

Mal 01-08-2004 16:41

Quote:

According to this , everyone apart from the 1meg stb users are getting upgraded from the 1st August. It's just the 1meg users in september.

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 16:41

So this 1.5mb i wonder if down/up speeds will be same or better then Blue Yonders 1.5mb which costs same ;)

dev 01-08-2004 16:44

Quote:

Are you sure about stb users dev since although their boxes might have been upgraded to the Samsungs I was under the impression that their speed upgrade would not be until September.

yep, see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...upgrades-begin

there is no reason why stb users should be upgrading at a different date except the 1mbit users due to needing new boxes

nate 01-08-2004 16:46

Quote:

So this 1.5mb i wonder if down/up speeds will be same or better then Blue Yonders 1.5mb which costs same ;)

Thats the idea.

Ben 01-08-2004 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal
According to this , everyone apart from the 1meg stb users are getting upgraded from the 1st August. It's just the 1meg users in september.

I have my 1.5Mbit already :)

nate 01-08-2004 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

Do the speedtest here and post the results? I wanna see what typa speeds I'll be getting :P

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 16:50

ok info please

1 What happened do they force u to reboot ur computer/modem.

2 what kinda speeds u getting ?

nate 01-08-2004 16:53

Quote:

I'd imagine you wouldn't see the results until you reset your modem, but...thats just my thinking.

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 16:57

Blonde moment but resetting modem would be same as shutting down pc and unplugging modem repluggin and reboot computer up

:dunce: moment i know cant think

Ben 01-08-2004 16:57

I just upgraded from 600K and my cable light on my modem went of for a second and came back on with 1.5Mbit

I would do the speed test but Im currently downloading at 175k/sec :)

ian@huth 01-08-2004 16:58

Quote:

ok info please

2 what kinda speeds u getting ?

1. Yes, they come round with a loaded gun and force you to do what they said you should do if you haven't worked out from previous posts the answer to your question. ;)

2. Upto what they said they would give.

How about sitting back and taking things easy and forgetting about the increase. You will get it when you get it. :angel:

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 17:00

1 Thanks for the sarcasm please insert it somewhere else thanks :D :D

2 What they say they will give and what servers are gving are two different things hence i prefer to hear it from someone who is using it :D

Kliro 01-08-2004 17:00

Beh, rather upsetting that my broadband isnt actually double as I was already getting 256 without knowing it, I thought my dl speeds would soar to around 60kb/s :(

nate 01-08-2004 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianathuth
How about sitting back and taking things easy and forgetting about the increase. You will get it when you get it. :angel:

Amen.
It's free. You'll get it soon.

MindfreeZe 01-08-2004 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

Incorrect, it clearly says that 1meg stb users are getting upgraded 1st september, 150k - 600k users stb on the 1st of august, stand alone modems 150/600/1 Meg Start 1st August.

Stuart 01-08-2004 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindfreeZe
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

Incorrect, it clearly says that 1meg stb users are getting upgraded 1st september, 150k - 600k users stb on the 1st of august, stand alone modems 150/600/1 Meg Start 1st August.

Erm, that is pretty much what Mal said.

BTW, Welcome to the site.

LostintheNW 01-08-2004 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindfreeZe

If its incorrect why have I been told Manchester is being upgraded from 2nd August and my samsung arrives on the 10th August as this was the first date they had, and I will be on 1.5mbit then

nate 01-08-2004 17:47

Also bear in mind that none of this information was officially released by ntl, so we have no real guarantees.

Foo Fighter 01-08-2004 17:51

I think there waiting till the surge of bandwidth drops down from people getting doom3 :D

Is there some sort of overall log of bandwidth being used? is it alot more than a usual sunday?

kronas 01-08-2004 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Is there some sort of overall log of bandwidth being used? is it alot more than a usual sunday?

they proberbly expect a surge of bandwidth being used at the weekend, if they do log it im sure it will be a bigger surge than normal :p: :Sprint:

MindfreeZe 01-08-2004 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostintheNW
If its incorrect why have I been told Manchester is being upgraded from 2nd August and my samsung arrives on the 10th August as this was the first date they had, and I will be on 1.5mbit then

Soz I just misread what he wrote. :erm:

Ken W 01-08-2004 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

You are Lucky.
Here in Winnersh on the 150K and separate cable modem (ntl:home , silver in color) are still not seen any speed increase.

I bet Winnersh will be the last knowing my luck!

Pea-Pod 01-08-2004 18:28

How are the people in the Oldham/Rochdale area getting on with the speed increases, I have yet to witness it.

BBKing 01-08-2004 18:28

NO UPGRADES WILL HAPPEN AT THE WEEKEND. THE ONLY AREAS ANYONE WILL SEE INCREASED SPEEDS ARE THE TRIAL AREAS AROUND SOUTH MANCHESTER AND PARTS OF HERTFORDSHIRE/BEDFORDSHIRE.

Thank you.

Also, the upgrades should be seamless, we'll be rebooting your modems remotely.

STBs will be upgraded at the same time as SACMs EXCEPT 1Mb ones which will come in due course (both Pace and Samsung, so don't except your shiny new Samsung to get 1.5Mb immediately it's installed - they use the same file).

dev 01-08-2004 18:31

Quote:

NO UPGRADES WILL HAPPEN AT THE WEEKEND. THE ONLY AREAS ANYONE WILL SEE INCREASED SPEEDS ARE THE TRIAL AREAS AROUND SOUTH MANCHESTER AND PARTS OF HERTFORDSHIRE/BEDFORDSHIRE.

when would they be starting then? :p:

nate 01-08-2004 18:35

Well somethings definately going on, as after restarting my modem my config filename has changed from tera210x-gold.cm to ttera210x-gold.cm

No speed increase though.

downquark1 01-08-2004 18:36

Quote:

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Kliro 01-08-2004 18:38

Nate - Someone said the t is for temporary? and it changes back when the upgrade is over

Pea-Pod 01-08-2004 18:47

Has anybody got the link to test your speed, I do use Speed Test for Ntl:World - but it says 512k service, so not sure this will read a faster 700k speed.

Mick 01-08-2004 18:50

Quote:

Has anybody got the link to test your speed, I do use Speed Test for Ntl:World - but it says 512k service, so not sure this will read a faster 700k speed.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...speedtest.html

I'd suspect its been given a right good hammering over the last few days. Still the most reliable IMO. :)

Pea-Pod 01-08-2004 18:51

Cheers Mick

What does this mean then;
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:50:33 UTC
1st 128K took 1823 ms = 71899 Bytes/sec = approx 598 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1823 ms = 71899 Bytes/sec = approx 598 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1862 ms = 70393 Bytes/sec = approx 586 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1833 ms = 71507 Bytes/sec = approx 595 kbits/sec

I'm still on the old speed?

Mick 01-08-2004 18:55

Quote:

Cheers Mick

What does this mean then;
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:50:33 UTC
1st 128K took 1823 ms = 71899 Bytes/sec = approx 598 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1823 ms = 71899 Bytes/sec = approx 598 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1862 ms = 70393 Bytes/sec = approx 586 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1833 ms = 71507 Bytes/sec = approx 595 kbits/sec

I'm still on the old speed?

It would appear so. The numbers in bold in your quote indicate that you are still on the 600K speed.

Ben 01-08-2004 19:19

Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:19:21 UTC
1st 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 735 ms = 178329 Bytes/sec = approx 1484 kbits/sec

MindfreeZe 01-08-2004 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

Lucky boy.....:(

Graham F 01-08-2004 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

Ben's forever the showoff ;) :p: :D

Kliro 01-08-2004 19:55

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:54:57 GMT
1st 128K took 3578 ms = 36633 Bytes/sec = approx 305 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3594 ms = 36470 Bytes/sec = approx 303 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3640 ms = 36009 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 3641 ms = 35999 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec I had the PC left on all night and just reset it now and the speed is definately increased

*Watches as everyone starts resetting their PC*

Stuart 01-08-2004 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

Ben's location is Hertfordshire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kliro
Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:54:57 GMT
1st 128K took 3578 ms = 36633 Bytes/sec = approx 305 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3594 ms = 36470 Bytes/sec = approx 303 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3640 ms = 36009 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 3641 ms = 35999 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec
I had the PC left on all night and just reset it now and the speed is definately increased

*Watches as everyone starts resetting their PC*

Kliro's location is Manchester.

So, with that in mind:
Quote:

Having said that, I wish they would do trials for STBs in Bromley..

Kliro 01-08-2004 20:03

Kliros location is South Manchester

peacedude2k4 01-08-2004 20:14

HMMMM Rochdale aint that far from him then aint it not :cool: .... lookin forward to this week then. :tu:

printerman 01-08-2004 20:15

Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:14:17 UTC
1st 128K took 21310 ms = 6151 Bytes/sec = approx 51 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 16810 ms = 7797 Bytes/sec = approx 65 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 19000 ms = 6899 Bytes/sec = approx 57 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 19120 ms = 6855 Bytes/sec = approx 57 kbits/sec

this is pants,,,,i'm supposed to be on 150k going to 300k why am i so slow!

Kliro 01-08-2004 20:16

Are you downloading anything :S