Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

Mick 30-07-2004 11:17

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis
speedchecker shows 600kbit

I got no idea why ntl dont want the postcode checker online its not good PR.

It's not suppost to be available yet - ntl have not released any official annoucements about its existance, you have only found out about it because of the kind tech's here are letting you know one will be available on Monday. :)

etccarmageddon 30-07-2004 11:27

Quote:

I got no idea why ntl dont want the postcode checker ...

because it isnt working!

badnbusy 30-07-2004 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
because it isnt working!

WAS working for me, when it was up this morning. Check my last post...

Like most people said, whats the point in having a postcode checker available to customers when most of them will have been upgraded by the time its available? I would have thought it should have been done ages ago.

printerman 30-07-2004 11:51

Hi,
what letter? I've not even had a letter or an email!!!! Will i even get an upgrade? God knows!
I'm in Newmarket Suffolk but my postcode is a CB for Cambrige. If any one can shed any light it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

DieDieMyDarling 30-07-2004 11:54

I don't suppose anyone checked for Belfast, while the postcode checker was working? I have an awful feeling we'll be part of the 25% NOT getting upgraded soon. The area isn't that highly contended yet. :(

Chrysalis 30-07-2004 12:01

there are lots of fishy things in my mind atm like about why the postcode checker wasn't up back when the original announcement was made and why the unlucky 25% havent had the necessary upgrades done months ago.

etccarmageddon 30-07-2004 12:09

Quote:

there are lots of fishy things in my mind atm like about why the postcode checker wasn't up back when the original announcement was made and why the unlucky 25% havent had the necessary upgrades done months ago.

no this is starting to get silly! yesterday there's talk of comp now there's talk of things being "fishy"...

it's taken months to upgrade the network cos these things cant be done overnight. relax - eventually you'll get your 'free' extra bandwidth.

Nemesis 30-07-2004 12:14

Look, can everyone just calm down ....

There is no need for the "conspiracy theories" to start. The upgrades are due on 1st Aug and 1st September, dependant on the type of connection.

Lets just wait and enjoy the upgrades as they happen ...

Mick 30-07-2004 12:24

Quote:

I think you are thinking too much into this. The speed upgrades are in effect early, despite what you are saying. NTL said late summer - it is nowhere near late summer yet. The postcode checker is not suppost to be available yet until Monday. I do not know about everyone else, but I'd rather ntl got their network sorted (which they have been doing and still are doing!), than to roll out these upgrades earlier on and sit here and watch their network crumble away or grind to a halt because it could in no way support these new speed upgrades.

bigitup_j 30-07-2004 12:43

i bet two of those 25% areas that'll have to wait will be london (because, well...) and southampton/hampshire (because there have been a lot of network issues and an ongoing service problem) - both videotron areas.

i wanna 300k...i can wait...<eye twitching...Sweating profusely>
:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
I think you are thinking too much into this. The speed upgrades are in effect early, despite what you are saying. NTL said late summer - it is nowhere near late summer yet. The postcode checker is not suppost to be available yet until Monday. I do not know about everyone else, but I'd rather ntl got their network sorted (which they have been doing and still are doing!), than to roll out these upgrades earlier on and sit here and watch their network crumble away or grind to a halt because it could in no way support these new speed upgrades.

exactly, i would rather have 150k bb running well than 300k bb that only works between 1am and 6am.
:)

madcap 30-07-2004 12:52

I have a question about the STB upgrade, I had my letter saying CS would be in touch to arrange a date to switch it month or 2 ago but still nothing yet. Should I call CS to arrange a date or wait for them to get in touch?

BIGZIPZ 30-07-2004 12:56

I second that question, madcap.

The postcode checker returned August when I used it earlier.

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcap
I have a question about the STB upgrade, I had my letter saying CS would be in touch to arrange a date to switch it month or 2 ago but still nothing yet. Should I call CS to arrange a date or wait for them to get in touch?

ring em up it is free ;)

Stuart 30-07-2004 13:56

Quote:

They might do what they did with me. The engineer just turned up on a saturday and said he was passing and just happened to have a Samsung box...

I am happy they changed the box, but I was a bit p**sed off when he did it as a) NTL had not told me, b) it was Saturday and c) he woke me up and I was rather hungover..

badnbusy 30-07-2004 13:59

my SACM just spontaniously rebooted....and i thought......wehey!!!! but still same speed, lol!

madcap 30-07-2004 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
ring em up it is free ;)

Just rang up CS the lady on the other end said, "ohh I think there might be a phone number for that hang on" <lots of shuffling, clomping and mumbling in the background> "ahh yes I've got the number I'll give them a ring and tell them to phone you back"

I am now nervoulsy waiting to see if the call does materialise :angel:

badnbusy 30-07-2004 15:55

They called back yet? :angel:

Kneebs 30-07-2004 16:12

Quote:

Just rang up CS the lady on the other end said, "ohh I think there might be a phone number for that hang on" <lots of shuffling, clomping and mumbling in the background> "ahh yes I've got the number I'll give them a ring and tell them to phone you back"

I am now nervoulsy waiting to see if the call does materialise :angel:

What area are you in - I'm in Sunderland and had my box swapped a couple of weeks ago...

TheShadow 30-07-2004 16:57

Blah, I'm on STB, so it looks as if I'm going to be waiting for a while.

Oh well, with a bit of luck I'll be moving soon anyway and will get Telewest cable instead.

bo-peep 30-07-2004 17:07

well i'm not around much these days so i was interested to find out wot they had to say.yes i AM to get an increase.yes i AM going to receive a letter and he had no idea when the increase would be even when i gave him the date shown on here.he wanted to know where i'd heard about it from.so i have no idea why they don't know when my speed is going up.

Kliro 30-07-2004 17:13

Is it just me whos getting very bored of people constantly complaining about NTL??

The biggest complaints are from people about bandwidth who seem to want to download everything they can see all the time and see no reason why it should be a problem,

and then theres the people who complain about an unreliable service, these people are usually one in the same, its unreliable because of the amount of people constantly maxing it out,

but there may be a legitimate reason why someone would want to download 1GB every day all day, if there is then please tell me :confused:

Nemesis 30-07-2004 17:18

Welcome to the site Kilro :D

As I've pointed out before, a majority of members find this site because they themselves have had or have a problem. If we can sort it then fantastic, and we hope that they will they stay and help anyone else who need help.

The site started as purely as this. However it has now grown and expanded to include Telewest and has it's own thriving community of people, which you are welcome to join in with.

We don't all hate NTL, quite the opposite, but you have to bear in mind that people stumble across us because they have a problem.

Welcome on board, and glad you have had good experiences with NTL, similar case to me :D

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliro
Is it just me whos getting very bored of people constantly complaining about NTL??

The biggest complaints are from people about bandwidth who seem to want to download everything they can see all the time and see no reason why it should be a problem,

and then theres the people who complain about an unreliable service, these people are usually one in the same, its unreliable because of the amount of people constantly maxing it out,

but there may be a legitimate reason why someone would want to download 1GB every day all day, if there is then please tell me :confused:

i will echo the :welcome: but have you been lurking for a while as i do not see how you could be bored after 2 posts :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

madcap 30-07-2004 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnbusy
They called back yet? :angel:

yep the missus took the call. they said they would come out tomorrow but we're out all day so arranged for Monday. Although they rang back to say no boxes were being done that week due to some upgrade work so its the following Monday now.

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 17:28

Quote:

yep the missus took the call. they said they would come out tomorrow but we're out all day so arranged for Monday. Although they rand bcak to say no boxes were being done that week due to some upgrade work so its the following Monday now.

at least they called you back , it is a start :tu:

madcap 30-07-2004 17:30

Quote:

at least they called you back , it is a start :tu:

Yes I'm happy now, I was just starting to worry slightly as 1st of Sep will soon be here and didn't want to leave it to chance even though I'm sure it would of been done anyway.

etccarmageddon 30-07-2004 17:34

Quote:

and then theres the people who complain about an unreliable service, these people are usually one in the same, its unreliable because of the amount of people constantly maxing it out

talk about sweeping statements!

:td:

DieDieMyDarling 30-07-2004 17:44

Quote:

I'm sick of people like you thinking you can tell people what they can and cannot download, and when they can and cannot complain about the bad service. The internet is full of legal downloads that could easily take up more than 1GB a day, free games, free movies, pay games, pay movies, etc.
If you don't download that much yourself then fair play, but if other people do, then you have no right to blame them for ntl's shoddy service.

Ntl only offer a guideline of 1GB a day, it isn't a strict rule. Surely if that was to blame for all the email problems, the newsgroup problems, and the connection problems then NTL would be a little more strict, and make it 1GB a day or charge you extra, or cut your connection.

Most of ntl's problems are due to them not knowing their arse from their elbow. And a major lack of communication in the company, which is quite ironic.

Kliro 30-07-2004 17:47

Heh I guess its just because every topic seems to contain some reference to it, and I suppose it would be annoying to be sent letters for a service advertised as 24/7, but I just dont get how people can use a gig everyday for legit purposes

Nemesis 30-07-2004 17:56

.... and now we're getting Off Topic

Neil 30-07-2004 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
Most of ntl's problems are due to them not knowing their arse from their elbow. And a major lack of communication in the company, which is quite ironic.

:clap:

LostintheNW 30-07-2004 17:56

Just called CS about changing my box and its due to be done on the 10th, I aksed when Manchester is due to be upgraded and she confirmed the 2nd of August, and then rushed through the order for my new Samsung

badnbusy 30-07-2004 18:05

so the morning of 2nd Aug, eg early hours?

BIGZIPZ 30-07-2004 18:06

Im gonna call them now and ask about my new STB, which department do I want to talk to on the menu thing? I'm trying to get a new box for the 1.5Mb service. My black pace one will not cut it the letter said.

I hate calling CS :/

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 18:09

can anyone tell me if docsdiag reports a different config filename after the upgrade or does it stay the same :erm: :erm:

Kliro 30-07-2004 18:26

Im in Manchester STB, and I'm still on 150K

td444 30-07-2004 18:31

Quote:

Heh I guess its just because every topic seems to contain some reference to it, and I suppose it would be annoying to be sent letters for a service advertised as 24/7, but I just dont get how people can use a gig everyday for legit purposes

Easily - one little sister , one broadband plus subscription, lots of adverts and media on TV, visits to nike.com ...... That'll easily do a gig!

If you cant see people using 1gbyte+ legally, you have some insight issues :-D

badnbusy 30-07-2004 18:48

I listen to Virgin radio online. 128kbps stream which = 14kb/s.

14k x 60 seconds = 840kb/min

840k x 60 minutes = 50.4mb/hour

50.4m x 24 hours = 1.2gb/day.

I leave it on 24/7 as I dont see the point in using up more electric with my radio, as my PC is always on.

I could turn it off at night yes, but music helps me get to sleep faster, and the PC is in my room, so i leave it on but turn it down :)

(Havent been out much lately :P)

So thats my gig a day gone without even browsing or emails. Am i using it excessively?

I dont think so :(

DieDieMyDarling 30-07-2004 19:08

Using up 1GB a day is very easy. If you are on a 1mb service you tend to download quite large files. Be they game demo's, movie trailers, video tutorials for certain programs, software demo's. Then as mentioned above there is online radio AND online TV. Then there's all the spam mail that ntl don't pick up (ALL of the spam mail), i'm getting about 300 spam mails a day to one of my accounts. Newsgroups (if you can ever get them to work). Online gaming.

2 game demo's and a few hours listening to radio online, and you've passed 1GB. :rolleyes:

Keeping on topic though, still no upgrade here in Belfast. :td:

Kliro 30-07-2004 19:17

Heh I guess there is reason to complain then,

has everyone else in Manchester got an upgrade? because I havnt

td444 30-07-2004 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnbusy
I listen to Virgin radio online. 128kbps stream which = 14kb/s.

14k x 60 seconds = 840kb/min

840k x 60 minutes = 50.4mb/hour

50.4m x 24 hours = 1.2gb/day.

I leave it on 24/7 as I dont see the point in using up more electric with my radio, as my PC is always on.

I could turn it off at night yes, but music helps me get to sleep faster, and the PC is in my room, so i leave it on but turn it down :)

(Havent been out much lately :P)

So thats my gig a day gone without even browsing or emails. Am i using it excessively?

I dont think so :(

Actually 128/8 = 16kbytes/s , multiply everything by 16/14 and thats the real usage , all legal ofcourse :-)

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 19:30

Quote:

have you tried rebooting your modem :)

Marge 30-07-2004 19:31

Quote:

no :mis: but then I haven't seen anything "official" even confirming the dates of the upgrade

TheShadow 30-07-2004 19:33

Quote:

Because you get internet through a STB (Set Top Box), and since NTL still need to deliver new STBs to handle 1.5Mb; they can't upgrade the speed untill they've delivered the boxes to the people who need 'em.

BTW - Is it just the folks like me on 1Mb that are getting the new Samsung STBs, or is it everyone with cable internet (whether it be 300-750k) through an old Pace STB?

I know the old Pace box can handle speeds under 1Mb, but I'm just wondering.

Kliro 30-07-2004 19:35

Im going to reset when theres noone watching the tv

Marge 30-07-2004 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadow
BTW - Is it just the folks like me on 1Mb that are getting the new Samsung STBs, or is it everyone with cable internet (whether it be 300-750k) through an old Pace STB?

It's just the 1MB customers getting the new boxes

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debsy42
It's just the 1MB customers getting the new boxes

so a reboot may be the answer then :)

Marge 30-07-2004 19:41

Well I've rebooted my modem several times and nothings happened :shrug: The last bit of info seen says still late summer for the change, no actual dates given........

etccarmageddon 30-07-2004 19:47

when I rang customer services yesterday to upgrade from 600 to 1mb the bloke I spoke to said that "you've now been upgraded to 1mb but within a couple of weeks that will be 1.5mb"

BBKing 30-07-2004 19:55

Quote:

has everyone else in Manchester got an upgrade?
Just a few areas. If you haven't got it yet, don't keep on rebooting your modem, it's a waste of time. You'll know when other areas are upgraded as millions of people will be on here telling us :)

banjo 30-07-2004 20:09

I wonder if all the people who are checking their download speed with various sites are eating into the available bandwidth and slowing the system down for everyone, please be patient and then you will not wind yourself up ! :angel: No offence meant

peacedude2k4 30-07-2004 20:18

About upgrade sooner the better, heard its 150k and 600k first then the 1mb being done around 1st September.

:disturbd: sooner the better me thinks :D :D

be patient go on Halo online and kick some butt

Stop It 30-07-2004 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo
I wonder if all the people who are checking their download speed with various sites are eating into the available bandwidth and slowing the system down for everyone, please be patient and then you will not wind yourself up ! :angel: No offence meant

Heh, if NTL's network was even slightly pushed by people bandwidth testing I would be VERY worried, its people downloading hundreds of Gigs of data a month that kicks the network in the nuts, not people checking their internet speed, honest :p

Chrysalis 30-07-2004 21:41

I rang up earlier and got told 1st august for my postcode, I said is this defenite or an estimate and was told the date is preplanned and should be defenite. I then asked why not inform customers earlier to stop a lot of people wondering whats going on and when its happening, but I got no answer so with any luck I will be upgraded 1st august.

mrm1 30-07-2004 21:54

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of testing your bandwidth on SACM, just type 192.168.100.1 in to IE or Firefox or whatever, log in using root as username and password, click on "Operation Configuration" and look at your settings.

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm1
Instead of testing your bandwidth on SACM, just type 192.168.100.1 in to IE or Firefox or whatever, log in using root as username and password, click on "Operation Configuration" and look at your settings.

as long as it is not a terayon ;)

Jon T 30-07-2004 22:11

Quote:

as long as it is not a terayon ;)

or a Surfboard 4100

Jon

paulyoung666 30-07-2004 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon T
or a Surfboard 4100

Jon

thanks for that , i must admit i never thought of the sb :)

mrm1 30-07-2004 22:27

Sorry, I ment to add NTL100 SACM :dunce:

ppolo99 30-07-2004 23:36

is the 75% done by 2nd august confirmed by ntl?

Gaargh 31-07-2004 01:57

Just a thought and I hope I do not get flamed,
but I think it is a valid point could not all the 150/600k users get upgraded
straight away,after all it is less than 1 meg after all.
I know all the people paying for the 1 meg service wouldn't be happy,
I just wondered if it would be possible.
Gaz.

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 02:11

Why wont us 1mb customers be happy we are getting the stated upgrade ??

Sure taking a while longer but i bet NTL have alot more customers on 150/600k then on 1mb also them services would require less power to get going no doubt they are still working on 1mb,

Also off topic i know but are 1mb keeping there admit cable modems or are we updating them???

Gaargh 31-07-2004 02:27

What I meant was you could upgrade the lower tiers straight away,
after all the network is capable of 1meg speeds.BTW I have only been on bb a week so excuse me if I do not know what I am talking about.
Ot is the top tier worth the extra?
Gaz.

Gaargh 31-07-2004 03:24

Quick update I upgraded to 1mb while on 60 day free,does anyone know if my free trial still continues?
Anyway it said I would be charged at £35 a month.
Gaz.

th'engineer 31-07-2004 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaargh
Quick update I upgraded to 1mb while on 60 day free,does anyone know if my free trial still continues?
Anyway it said I would be charged at £35 a month.
Gaz.

Knowing NTL you will probably be charged:) BTW welcome to the forum.

As you are new to broadband you do know that NTL have a guideline on the amount you can download in a day and on 1 meg you can easily reach this limit.

BBKing 31-07-2004 10:12

Quote:

is the 75% done by 2nd august confirmed by ntl?
No, because it's not true.

th'engineer 31-07-2004 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
No, because it's not true.

Whats the truth then:angel:

BBKing 31-07-2004 10:50

A secret, but think about it - 1.2m bb customers, 75% is 900,000, before the 2nd August is today and tomorrow. Reboot an average of 450,000 devices a day at a weekend when the call centres have fewer people and most of us techies are at home...sound unlikely?

th'engineer 31-07-2004 10:57

Quote:

A secret, but think about it - 1.2m bb customers, 75% is 900,000, before the 2nd August is today and tomorrow. Reboot an average of 450,000 devices a day at a weekend when the call centres have fewer people and most of us techies are at home...sound unlikely?

Not for NTL:D

ian@huth 31-07-2004 11:02

Quote:

It does sound unlikely, but so does having most of your call centre staff and techies at home when most of your customers are at home and likely want to call in or have an engineer visit, but that is what NTL do. Perhaps it would have been better to do a lot over the weekend and roster staff on accordingly. If only done on a weekday just think of all the calls that will come in after people finish work / college / school and find a problem. But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems? :) :angel:

th'engineer 31-07-2004 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianathuth
It does sound unlikely, but so does having most of your call centre staff and techies at home when most of your customers are at home and likely want to call in or have an engineer visit, but that is what NTL do. Perhaps it would have been better to do a lot over the weekend and roster staff on accordingly. If only done on a weekday just think of all the calls that will come in after people finish work / college / school and find a problem. But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems? :) :angel:

We are talking NTL

BBKing 31-07-2004 11:11

Quote:

But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems?
No, but when you're rebooting lots of devices at the same time and there's even a 0.001% chance that some don't come back (due to approaching failure triggered by a reboot) then you'll get a spike in the graph of people phoning in. Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

ianathuth - some of us like our weekends. We have 24/7 manned monitoring centres with guys on shift, but us back-end techies don't work shifts - the number of times per year this would actually be useful is outweighed by the number of times a year it's useful for us to be in the office 9-5 as that's when meetings happen and things get planned. No point calling a conference call for 2am.

Stop It 31-07-2004 11:13

Quote:

So there isnt a big button labled "Kill them" then? shame, also, If NTL keep on being secretive, Im going to go into Tory mode (EEK) and demand a full public enquiry into NTL, (Ill find a reason / excuse later) :)

th'engineer 31-07-2004 11:16

Quote:

Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

Quite agree but are you speaking for all if someone said it has to be done it would happen. Even with your concerns

I know when mines being upgraded last one ;) :D

Stephen 31-07-2004 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm1

doesn't work for me.

poolking 31-07-2004 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthYoda
doesn't work for me.

Try unchecking the proxy server box in Connections > LAN Settings

Chimaera 31-07-2004 11:38

Easiest way is to type this into your run box in the start menu
http://192.168.100.1
hit enter
then its
root
for the user name and password.

ppolo99 31-07-2004 12:00

it only depends what modem u have, if u got the ntlhome 120 i know it works for that

BBKing 31-07-2004 13:00

Quote:

So there isnt a big button labled "Kill them" then?
What the techies or the modems? I sometimes wonder if there's one for 'Dump Work On Techies Until They Die Of Stress' on the wall in Hook. Hell, I enjoy it though.

I know when mines being upgraded last one

[checks]

Nope.

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 13:17

:dunce: time

how u know yours is last one?

Ambit USb cable modems are gonna cope with the 1.5bm update aint they :shrug:

td444 31-07-2004 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacedude2k4
:dunce: time

Ambit USb cable modems are gonna cope with the 1.5bm update aint they :shrug:

Id imagine so, hundreds of thousands in circulation!

BBKing 31-07-2004 14:08

Quote:

I was quoting th'eng, who (in jest) suggested his area would be last. I merely pointed out that it wasn't. :angel:

Stop It 31-07-2004 14:13

Quote:

What the techies or the modems? I sometimes wonder if there's one for 'Dump Work On Techies Until They Die Of Stress' on the wall in Hook. Hell, I enjoy it though.

I know when mines being upgraded last one

[checks]

Nope.

The modems, although that last option sounds good, but you forgot the end " Once they have died of stress, sack them for not meeting targets" :p

ian@huth 31-07-2004 14:16

Quote:

No, but when you're rebooting lots of devices at the same time and there's even a 0.001% chance that some don't come back (due to approaching failure triggered by a reboot) then you'll get a spike in the graph of people phoning in. Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

ianathuth - some of us like our weekends. We have 24/7 manned monitoring centres with guys on shift, but us back-end techies don't work shifts - the number of times per year this would actually be useful is outweighed by the number of times a year it's useful for us to be in the office 9-5 as that's when meetings happen and things get planned. No point calling a conference call for 2am.

The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.

I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?

It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.

I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.

swoop101 31-07-2004 14:23

Quote:

I was quoting th'eng, who (in jest) suggested his area would be last. I merely pointed out that it wasn't. :angel:

Have you arranged for HIM to be the last one in the queue? :D

Stop It 31-07-2004 14:28

Quote:

The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.

It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it

Quote:

I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?

YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p

Quote:

It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.

Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.

Quote:

I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.

NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.

About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.

ian@huth 31-07-2004 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It
It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it

Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?

Quote:

YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p

If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.

Quote:

Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.

NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?

Quote:

NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.

Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.

Quote:

About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.

I am not suggesting that redundancies are not needed, I don't know enough to offer a view on that. What I am saying is that NTL do not listen to the feedback that sites such as this and its predecessers give and do not recognise the talent that they are pushing out of the door. There are some excellent associates who help on here and could be retained but it may be that NTL want to retain the staff on lower salaries that get customers off the phone quicke,r whether they have solved the customers problem or not being immaterial.

Stop It 31-07-2004 15:29

Quote:

Going on what BBKing said it would appear that most of the upgrades would not encounter any problems. Are you anticipating major problems and what part of upgrading speeds would generate those problems?

Expect the unexpected, like when NTL done some upgrades in leicester, it caused a seperate failiure, most of the upgrades are quite simple, but even BBking mentioned a small risk of failiure, that risk will be smaller if its done gradually, rather than one big bang

Quote:

If NTL staff are in that bad a state then I would advise them to think about a career change and a major clear out of management that have allowed that state to exist.

That was a genral statement about working on a week shift, ie, TGIF etc, people enjoy their weekends (and need them to stay sane) I was in no way suggesting that NTL is worse or better in that sense , as I dont know :P

Quote:

NTL as a company may be short of a copper or two but I bet the top management and directors aren't. Waiting a few hours overnight may not be a problem to some people but others may not be at home when CS / TS open. It's a poor excuse to say wait till tomorrow or after the weekend. What would you think if you broke down in your car, phoned the AA or whoever and got a recorded message saying "sorry we're closed, call back tomorrow or on Monday if it's the weekend". What would the cost be of having 24/7 cover, what savings would be made from the present system to help towrds this cost and what gain would there be in customer confidence?

Of course the top cats arent poor, lets not get into directors salaries etc.
unfortunatly a gain in "customer confidence" wouldnt pay the huge expenditure that comes with out of hours service, its a balnced between money and service, and tbh NTL's isnt the worst, nor the best out there in telecom land.

Quote:

Of course all businesses are there to make money, but to do so they have to have the right product at the right price and with the best customer service. P1ss off all your customers with that attitude and when they have all decided enough is enough ask the accountants what the balance sheet looks like.

Yes, but to get decent customer service, you have to pay for it, NTL cannot afford a luxury 24 hour service, unless if it changed extortionate amounts for it, as I said, tis a balance between service and profitability, you can have the best service in the world, but if you arent making the money, through satisfied customers or not, you are not going to survive, and that is NTL's sole target, survivial, and proving to telewest that it is a viable business.

Nikko 31-07-2004 15:53

I find the prolonged drifting of this thread, and the various conjecture and speculation generated variously within, quite remarkable.

The Official announcement from ntl has been given as 'later in the summer'.

Clearly this is being rolled out as and when they are happy with progress in a given area/service tier, so any further second guessing of a specific date (regardless of how inspired the source of this appears to be) seems to me rather irrelevant :shrug:

Coming soon? YES!

BBKing 31-07-2004 16:08

Quote:

Have you arranged for HIM to be the last one in the queue?
Ooo it's tempting. January 2009 it is then :P

I'll read through the reams of posts when I've got time (having beers with mates in a minute so getting ready) but the point about timing maintenance is:

1) maintenance is the biggest cause of outages (when you change something there's always a risk)
2) maintenance is best timed when people aren't using the service
3) people use the service a lot at the weekend, not a lot on weekday mornings in the small hours

Hence we do things weekday mornings in the small hours.

ppolo99 31-07-2004 16:26

my area better not be last, otherwise i will wait longer and get reallllly jelous and annoy people on here until i get it :D

Neil 31-07-2004 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppolo99
my area better not be last, otherwise i will wait longer and get reallllly jelous and annoy people on here until i get it :D

Oh no you won't. ;)

poolking 31-07-2004 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
Oh no you won't. ;)

Watches as Neil reaches for the ban button. :D

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 16:56

NAhhh neil is more worried about being the last one so he will ban all others who have it when he doesn't :D

Stop It 31-07-2004 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppolo99

Yes, but by then we wont care anyway zooming along at our improved speed, hehehe

Neil 31-07-2004 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacedude2k4
NAhhh neil is more worried about being the last one so he will ban all others who have it when he doesn't :D

Except Neil doesn't have to wait for freebie offers from his ISP (just wondering if people suddenly think an extra few KB of download speed will make up for all their other issues with ntl? :D )

I pay my money (not to ntl I hasten to add! :p: ) & in return I get a rock solid, stable internet connection (with email servers that always work too ;) )

:angel:

poolking 31-07-2004 17:23

Talking about email servers just started forwarding all of my emails to my gmail account. :D

Neil 31-07-2004 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolking
Talking about email servers just started forwarding all of my emails to my gmail account. :D

Good move m8. :tu:

badnbusy 31-07-2004 20:21

Just had someone do a speedtest on our site, and got a result of 1457.2 kbps! Out of the hundreds of tests performed, this is the only one to show over 1mb. So i now believe ntl have upgraded some places ;)

They were in luton btw :)

peacedude2k4 31-07-2004 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil

I pay my money (not to ntl I hasten to add! :p: ) & in return I get a rock solid, stable internet connection (with email servers that always work too ;) )

:angel:

LOL like the perfect salesmen talks about how to use and work with NTL but hell no would he ever use it himself LOL, I'm only with NTL because we have there telly and phone line otherwise I think i would be Blue Yonder 3mb.....still tempting....