Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Random Reboots etc (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709650)

alanbjames 29-12-2020 02:12

Random Reboots etc

1 Attachment(s)
I've been having random reboots and errors on the pc for weeks and i thought it was either a corrupt video driver or Video card was on its last legs.

Anyway yesterday i was just thinking and thought i should change the cables from Monitor to Video card and lucky i did i found this meeting me.....

The plastic casing has just disintegrated and fallen off for no reason exposing the bare wires. Its not as if its a non branded cable either the brand is BELKIN.

Dude111 29-12-2020 06:59

Yea I would love to know what causes reboots!

Im on 98se and they sometimes happen for no reason....Im doing something and all of a sudden the screen blacks,the tower beeps and it reboots......

Quite strange........

Stephen 29-12-2020 08:06

Re: Random Reboots etc

Probably because you are using such and old OS and likely v old hardware too. That is no longer updated or supported.

98 se belongs in a museum.

SnoopZ 29-12-2020 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36064065)
Probably because you are using such and old OS and likely v old hardware too. That is no longer updated or supported.

98 se belongs in a museum.

100% agree with you, dude at some point you have to say sod it and get a bit more modern with a PC or you may not even get online!

pip08456 29-12-2020 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36064107)
100% agree with you, dude at some point you have to say sod it and get a bit more modern with a PC or you may not even get online!

Nah he's still on dial up with his 56K modem. It's still in use in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-state-2009/

peanut 29-12-2020 13:39

I think he's just a wind-up merchant.

Paul 29-12-2020 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36064111)
I think he's just a wind-up merchant.

Why ?

idi banashapan 29-12-2020 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36064059)
[snip...]

Im on 98se

[...snip]

Jesus Christ!

Carth 29-12-2020 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36064129)
Jesus Christ!

oh come on, if it's just used for emails, web browsing, playing a few audio files, and playing a few basic games why does it matter?

At least he's not brought into the whole "Windows 10 is brilliant and your world will crash without it" thing :rolleyes:

It works for what it's used for, that's all that matters

Paul 29-12-2020 16:37

I would have thought the issue would be finding hardware that will still run W98.

heero_yuy 29-12-2020 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36064136)
I would have thought the issue would be finding hardware that will still run W98.

I was able to source a replacement Mobo (nForce 3A) for my ageing XP SP3 machine (Originally 98SE) Tested, guaranteed with an Athlon 64 CPU and that's 15 years old!

Saved a full re-install of everything: I have a huge suite of video/audio tools, C compilers, assemblers and CAD.

On the subject of re-boots it's worth getting the latest drivers for the hardware just in case some odd interaction is occurring. A subtle change in configuration that looks innocuous can suddenly produce this.

idi banashapan 29-12-2020 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36064135)
oh come on, if it's just used for emails, web browsing, playing a few audio files, and playing a few basic games why does it matter?

At least he's not brought into the whole "Windows 10 is brilliant and your world will crash without it" thing :rolleyes:

It works for what it's used for, that's all that matters

security patching, software support and hardware support being the best reasons. Why not use any free distro of linux? it will be regularly patched, will have support for the latest hardware and easily be able to do all of the above. And these days, it's as easy as Windows to use for those worried about any huge changes. In a number of areas, such as software and OS installs / patching, it's actually easier.

Personally, I dislike Windows 10. It's a confused OS which has parts from the W7 era, others from W8 and then the newer W10 elements as well. MS keep moving things about and trying to dumb-down accessiblity to granular controls, meaning unless you know where you are going, you'll have a hard time finding things (e.g., control panel options where you get better administration over the system than you do from the newer 'flat / crayon' designed interfaces which are the default control option pages now). It's also whoring itself to advertisements, which are creeping in. Not to mention it's endless list of vulnerabilities that come to the fore on a monthly basis - the latest biggy being an EXE which actually uses Windows to install itself into UEFI, meaning even a system reinstall doesn't get rid of it, and it places itself back onto Windows once rebuilt!

I use it on one machine because of gaming and photoshop. I have linux installed on my other home devices, using a mix of RasPi, Mint and Elementary. If linux could run all the games I play natively (and Proton is really picking up pace now, which is great), and Photoshop was available (Gimp is just horrible), I would remove W10 from my home as it would provide nothing more over Linux for me (WINE can be a bit picky about certain applications).

Apple is just beyond overpriced for what you get and although it would be easy enough to go and buy desktops and laptops from them, I begrudge spending that kind of money on them.

So as I say, the reason I commented on the use of 98SE is down to security (mainly) and support of SW and HW. There's no need for rolly eyes - there are legitimate reasons why not to use 98SE.

alanbjames 29-12-2020 23:12

Isnt it weird how this thread has been side tracked from its original intent?

idi banashapan 30-12-2020 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36064197)
Isnt it weird how this thread has been side tracked from its original intent?

To be fair, the first post was a statement. There was no natural progression.

alanbjames 30-12-2020 01:37

i would have thought that people would have understood there to be natural progression.