Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : wifi help (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707852)

baz 08-07-2019 18:57

wifi help

hi guys having probs super hub connecting to smart tv, set it up a few weeks ago and today when I wanted to access iplayer all was ok and now a few hrs later tv is saying tv needs to be retuned and connected to internet, my tv is picking up signals from next door and across the road so tv seems ok, anyone else having this problem, help most welcome.

regards all
baz

SnoopZ 08-07-2019 19:11

Re: wifi help

Try powering the TV off at the socket for 30 seconds and on again, if that doesn't work do the same with your modem.

baz 08-07-2019 19:19

tried that and still no joy wifi working ok ipad picking it up

SnoopZ 08-07-2019 19:21

Delete the wifi settings for the connection on the TV and set it up again thats all i can think of to fix it.

baz 08-07-2019 19:43

thanks i'll give that a try

SnoopZ 08-07-2019 19:49

Also try turning off the hub firewall and try to connect and if it connects turn it back on again.

baz 08-07-2019 20:48

even tried softwere update on tv still not picking wifi, may have to launch it out the window!!

daveeb 08-07-2019 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz (Post 36001855)
hi guys having probs super hub connecting to smart tv, set it up a few weeks ago and today when I wanted to access iplayer all was ok and now a few hrs later tv is saying tv needs to be retuned and connected to internet, my tv is picking up signals from next door and across the road so tv seems ok, anyone else having this problem, help most welcome.

regards all
baz

I have similar problems with shub 2. Some days some devices won't see it.
Other days it's fine, the range is actually quite good when it works.
i've solved it in 3 ways for different situations.

Sons X-box now connected via homeplugs (this might be your best bet for the tv).

Anything important connected via ethernet cable where practicable.
Set up a secondary router as an access point for when the main wifi is dicky (also you could use the shub in modem mode if you have a spare router).

baz 08-07-2019 21:01

many thanks will look into that strange ipad will pick up wifi in garden but tv wont and only 12ft apart!!

SirThomas 08-07-2019 22:07

I'd check the WiFi channel(s) - I had one HELL of a time trying to figure out why my V6 was losing WiFi every now and then.

...Turned out that it didn't support DFS channels and it was simply dropping connection every time my router auto-switched! :)

The above would make since, owing to the fact that you can see other local wireless networks.

Tom

baz 09-07-2019 13:38

when is a smart tv not a smart tv ? when it says you are connected on the screen and you go to view yutube and its says check connection settings, I give up

SnoopZ 09-07-2019 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz (Post 36001950)
when is a smart tv not a smart tv ? when it says you are connected on the screen and you go to view yutube and its says check connection settings, I give up

If you're connected to your 5G VM network, try connecting to your 2G one.

Also did you try turning off the Hub firewall and rebooting the Hub and then connect to the TV?

Have you tried running an Ethernet to the TV?

baz 09-07-2019 15:48

not sure how to turn off hub firewall, just an ethernet to tv and bang no probs and then only to find VM messing about rebooting hub for some reason seems to be a regular thing in the last 2wks, if I phone them on 150 I always land up with someone I cant understand does my head in.

SnoopZ 09-07-2019 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz (Post 36001973)
not sure how to turn off hub firewall, just an ethernet to tv and bang no probs and then only to find VM messing about rebooting hub for some reason seems to be a regular thing in the last 2wks, if I phone them on 150 I always land up with someone I cant understand does my head in.

Login in with your hub info here http://192.168.0.1 this is assuming you have a hub 3 if not see the last link.

Go to advanced security settings/firewall

More info for logging in.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...on-status#hub3

mrmistoffelees 09-07-2019 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirThomas (Post 36001891)
I'd check the WiFi channel(s) - I had one HELL of a time trying to figure out why my V6 was losing WiFi every now and then.

...Turned out that it didn't support DFS channels and it was simply dropping connection every time my router auto-switched! :)

The above would make since, owing to the fact that you can see other local wireless networks.

Tom

This...

Also check channel width (available options are 20/40/80Mhz

If it's on 80 drop it too 20