Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : New software installing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707816)

1701-e 27-06-2019 06:26

New software installing

Turning on the V6 and taking near ten minutes to install. Nothing obvious has changed.

Version 20.9.1.rc2-vmb-11-c68

spiderplant 27-06-2019 08:37

Re: New software installing

It's in preparation for Amazon Prime and AdSmart. You shouldn't see any changes at the moment.

1701-e 27-06-2019 10:46

Thanks.

cheekyangus 27-06-2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36000578)
It's in preparation for Amazon Prime and AdSmart. You shouldn't see any changes at the moment.

I had been under the impression the AdSmart system had been implemented already, the ads had seemed to be more relevant for a few months now.

spiderplant 27-06-2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36000598)
I had been under the impression the AdSmart system had been implemented already, the ads had seemed to be more relevant for a few months now.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...rt-partnership

cheekyangus 27-06-2019 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36000603)

Ah. I didn't realise a date was given. They had been talking about it so long I thought my perceived changes in ads were an indication. Ta. :)

ozsat 27-06-2019 13:58

Something which was removed some time ago but is now back in the latest software is the ability to select different video formats and let the tv do the upscaling.

So if you select both 1080 and 2160 for non-passthru options - then the V6 will output in 1080 for SD/HD channels and switch the tv to 2160 only for the 4K channels.

This means you tv will do the upscaling for the SD/HD channels when using a 4k tv.

It does cause most tvs to blank out for a brief time while switching formats - but I can excuse that as my tv upscales must better then the V6.

mot12 28-06-2019 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36000639)
Something which was removed some time ago but is now back in the latest software is the ability to select different video formats and let the tv do the upscaling.

So if you select both 1080 and 2160 for non-passthru options - then the V6 will output in 1080 for SD/HD channels and switch the tv to 2160 only for the 4K channels.

This means you tv will do the upscaling for the SD/HD channels when using a 4k tv.

It does cause most tvs to blank out for a brief time while switching formats - but I can excuse that as my tv upscales must better then the V6.

Surprised more people haven't commented on this. Because there are lot of posts around where people have previously moaned about the fact that you could not do what you've described. It's been a long time since you could do that on a virgin box.

After receiving the latest update last night I tried it on my V6 and it works now. I can't decide what upscales better though my Sony XD93 or the V6 box, I actually think the V6 does a better job than some people think. Maybe it is just more about what you've gotten used too though. For now I've kept it to the V6 upscaling.

japitts 01-07-2019 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36000578)

I know Amazon Prime is only on V6, but I presume the AdSmart stuff will be on all TiVo too?

cheekyangus 01-07-2019 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36000968)
I know Amazon Prime is only on V6, but I presume the AdSmart stuff will be on all TiVo too?

I would imagine it will depend whether AdSmart needs the box to do something or it's done at Virgin Media's side of the network. The original Tivos are slow enough they had to change the way the tuners worked on them to speed them up a bit, so they wouldn't add AdSmart if it was going to slow them down again.

spiderplant 01-07-2019 11:53

AdSmart is on V6 only

vincerooney 01-07-2019 15:47

I know I’ve asked this before but I forgot...with sky and virgin controlling the adverts so does that mean during an episode of coronation street you’ll see different adverts compared to your next door neighbour?

Also does that mean itv lose revenue for example and it goes straight to sky and virgin?

cheekyangus 01-07-2019 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36001002)
I know I’ve asked this before but I forgot...with sky and virgin controlling the adverts so does that mean during an episode of coronation street you’ll see different adverts compared to your next door neighbour?

Also does that mean itv lose revenue for example and it goes straight to sky and virgin?

It won't. Neither would want sued by the broadcasters, they would probably be breaking some law or contract anyway if they did that.

ozsat 01-07-2019 16:43

I suspect that particular slots will be sold as slots with have ad-smart opt-outs.

So you could be a 30 second slot in the middle of Coronation Street - knowning in advance that a fixed number of users will get alternate ads from your own.

If they are told in advance then I see no issue. After all - somebody will be missing the transmitted ad whatever time it airs.

Bob 01-07-2019 16:50

I could be wrong, but suspect AdSmart is for non-linear content. At least at the moment?