Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VM Router : Flashing green light on SH3. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707634)

RichardCoulter 29-04-2019 21:49

Flashing green light on SH3.

All day there has been a flashing green light on my Super hub 3, it looks like it's a sign that's supposed to represent a WiFi signal.

Looking online (my BB is working fine, though i've had the odd very short outage today), it seems to suggest that it's downloading a software update.

Would this last throughout the afternoon up until now though? Could it have been dropping out occasionally because it was updating it's software?

Thanks.

General Maximus 29-04-2019 22:30

Re: Flashing green light on SH3.

reboot it if it was downloading something it will just start it again

RichardCoulter 30-04-2019 15:08

I was going to do as you suggested after seeing if it righted itself overnight, which it has.

Thanks for your reply anyway though. I didn't realise that a software update could take hours! Perhaps it only does it a bit at a time, so as not to affect the use of broadband when it updates??

SnoopZ 30-04-2019 15:38

It shouldn't take that long and you will lose internet during the upgrade.

Mythica 30-04-2019 15:43

Isn't it a well known bug that VM don't know why it happens? I've had it flashing for days before.

General Maximus 30-04-2019 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35992820)
I didn't realise that a software update could take hours! Perhaps it only does it a bit at a time, so as not to affect the use of broadband when it updates??

It doesn't take hours and it doesn't do it a bit at a time. The shub reboots (so you lose your internet connection and as part of the initialisation process it checks for software updates. If there is a new update it will download it in a minute or two and continue the boot process. If the shub reboots and doesn't come back online after 10 minutes it is stuck doing something and you need to reboot it again and force it to start over.

spiderplant 30-04-2019 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35992828)
Isn't it a well known bug that VM don't know why it happens? I've had it flashing for days before.

It is a well-known bug, and VM do know why it happens. It should be fixed in the next update, but in the meantime just ignore it. (Or reboot if it's really bothering you)

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 17:34

It started again the day after, so I gave VM a call. The automated service said that they wanted to restart all my equipment and that I had to leave it for 10 minutes as something looked wrong.

As I was recording something on my V6, I cancelled it and rebooted the router only, which cured the fault.

Good to know that it's nothing to be concerned about :)