Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Driverless Cars (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706195)

pmwelec 28-03-2018 20:51

Driverless Cars

Would you get in one if they were readily available?

Dude111 29-03-2018 16:27

No bloody way!!!!!

I dont trust that stuff....... ITS MADE BY HUMANS and humans have many flaws!!!

Hom3r 29-03-2018 18:04

Re: Driverless Cars

They need to address this dilema

A situation arieses, the car either crashes and it will kill the driver, or crash into a bus stop killing people/children.

What does it do?

peanut 29-03-2018 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35942104)
They need to address this dilema

A situation arieses, the car either crashes and it will kill the driver, or crash into a bus stop killing people/children.

What does it do?

It's not AI so there is no 'choice'. The 3 laws don't apply. :)

heero_yuy 30-03-2018 09:54

1 Attachment(s)
Surely the whole reason for actually buying a car is to drive the damn thing. :shrug:

Otherwise one would just summon a pod from the pool and use it like a personal taxi.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1522399899

(Autonomous transport pod, Heliopolis. Gundam Seed)

Of course that would be a much more economical use of scarce resources and free up a lot of road space. Downside would be a dramatic reduction in the automotive business and revenue for El Gov.

Attachment 27364

pmwelec 30-03-2018 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35942119)
It's not AI so there is no 'choice'. The 3 laws don't apply. :)

Are there 3 laws or is this just "I Robot"?

richard s 30-03-2018 21:25

Trouble with the driver less vehicles is they cannot account for sudden weather changes... Yet! Would I get in one or purchase one no way.

OLD BOY 02-04-2018 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35942136)
Surely the whole reason for actually buying a car is to drive the damn thing. :shrug:

Otherwise one would just summon a pod from the pool and use it like a personal taxi.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1522399899

(Autonomous transport pod, Heliopolis. Gundam Seed)

Of course that would be a much more economical use of scarce resources and free up a lot of road space. Downside would be a dramatic reduction in the automotive business and revenue for El Gov.

Attachment 27364

Well, if that became a cheaper option, I could see many people opting for it.

You'd actually be able to go out for a few drinks at the pub without having to nominate someone to forgo alcohol! It would certainly alleviate parking problems alomg residential roads.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35942097)
No bloody way!!!!!

I dont trust that stuff....... ITS MADE BY HUMANS and humans have many flaws!!!

Yes, but humans as drivers don't have an awfully good record, do they?

If driverless cars actually had a much better safety record, I think people will come to accept them.

RichardCoulter 02-04-2018 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35942348)
Well, if that became a cheaper option, I could see many people opting for it.

You'd actually be able to go out for a few drinks at the pub without having to nominate someone to forgo alcohol! It would certainly alleviate parking problems alomg residential roads.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Yes, but humans as drivers don't have an awfully good record, do they?

If driverless cars actually had a much better safety record, I think people will come to accept them.

I'm thinking of getting one as my disabilities preclude me from driving.

I find it interesting that (Uber I think it was) have suspended tests after a woman was unfortunately killed. If the same criteria was applied to cars with drivers, they would all be banned!

Sadly, accidents will happen with cars driverless or otherwise, but I suspect that humans will make more errors. A driverless car, for example, won't suffer from fatigue or do an Ant McPartlin and drive whilst over the alcohol limit.

Carth 04-04-2018 15:01

Driverless cars . . . and insurance :eh:

If 'you' aren't driving the car would this mean that insurance will be the same price for everyone, no matter what age and experience you have?

And doesn't the highway code state something about having to be 'fully in control' at all times ?

. . . just a couple of random thoughts on the subject, feel free to discuss where we go next ;)

RichardCoulter 05-04-2018 01:38

A good point that I pondered after making my post.