Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

SonicMaster 13-06-2019 12:45

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35998954)
Following the carve up of UKTV and that BBC Studios have control of Gold and Drama, would this mean we'd see content from the two channels on iPlayer in the future?

No.

Gold is a pay TV channel. Any 'on demand' content is in the relevant services on Virgin, Sky etc

Drama is already part of UKTV Play, where they put their free programming.

OLD BOY 13-06-2019 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 35998954)
Following the carve up of UKTV and that BBC Studios have control of Gold and Drama, would this mean we'd see content from the two channels on iPlayer in the future?

I would have thought this programming will be on Britbox, not the i-Player. It will be interesting to see how much longer the UKTV channels survive once Britbox launches.

denphone 13-06-2019 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35998963)
I would have thought this programming will be on Britbox, not the i-Player. It will be interesting to see how much longer the UKTV channels survive once Britbox launches.

They will survive a long time into the future...

ozsat 13-06-2019 15:36

Amazon's 20 Premier League matches

Mad Max 13-06-2019 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35998989)

Just a toe in the water to start with me thinks.

denphone 13-06-2019 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35999003)
Just a toe in the water to start with me thinks.

Not sure if its a toe in the water if one has no intention of using all the other toes.;)

Chris 13-06-2019 20:03

They’re going to get a great big pile of free trial subscriptions just in time for Christmas shopping. They’re jumping right in, right where they want to be. ;)

love Virgin2013 14-06-2019 01:55

Will amazon show the football in UHD?

OLD BOY 14-06-2019 07:44

Interesting development - UEFA launching its own streaming service. A sign of things to come....

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...ital-platform/

EXTRACT

UEFA has unveiled its new Over The Top (OTT) streaming platform UEFA.tv. The German Bundesliga will be the first league to offer content on the service.

EXTRACT

The Bundesliga content on UEFA.tv will be available in major European markets such as the UK, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain and Turkey as well as the Middle East and Africa from the start.

UEFA.tv will not be competing with TV channels but would rather be complementary by taking advantage of the wide range of content available at UEFA, including archive footage, delayed games, magazine programmes or futsal, women’s and grassroots competitions. In addition, it could be used by UEFA’s 55 federations to increase their global reach and visibility.

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

Amazon has also announced a WTA deal, expanding its sports coverage available on its streaming service.

https://tbivision.com/2019/06/13/ama...with-wta-deal/

Amazon has expanded its live sports portfolio, snapping up the exclusive rights to the Women’s Tennis Association tour in a four-year deal covering the UK and Ireland.

The WTA deal adds to Amazon’s slate of tennis coverage, which also includes the ATP Tour and the US Open, and is the first time both professional tours have been available in one place in the UK.

The WTA deal runs from 2020 to 2024, and includes live and on-demand coverage of top WTA tournaments and will be available to Prime members in the UK and Ireland at no extra cost to their membership.

Raider999 16-06-2019 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 (Post 35999093)

I seriously doubt it, UHD takes around 5 times the disc space of HD so I would imagine the same would apply to streaming .

ozsat 16-06-2019 14:04

More of a worry is "are Amazon going to show it in 25Hz" - it really doesn't suit well for live sports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 (Post 35999093)

muppetman11 16-06-2019 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35999299)
More of a worry is "are Amazon going to show it in 25Hz" - it really doesn't suit well for live sports.

Completely agree with that.

OLD BOY 17-06-2019 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35999287)
I seriously doubt it, UHD takes around 5 times the disc space of HD so I would imagine the same would apply to streaming .

Other sport streaming services manage it, so I can't really understand why you think that Amazon wouldn't. When you refer to disc space, are you not referring to recordings from TV channels? As we are talking about streaming, disc space is not relevant as it is streamed/VOD.

Incidentally, UHD does not take 5 times the disc space of HD anyway, at least on the V6 box. I have had up to 4 separate series of UHD dramas on my box as well as a few nature programmes, and I have not noticed those shows eating up my disc space.

muppetman11 17-06-2019 11:08

Like who ?

BT Sport UHD on BT is done via multicast across its own network only.

Edit : BBC iPlayer as well but only in trial and to limited numbers.

OLD BOY 17-06-2019 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35999383)
Like who ?

BT Sport UHD on BT is done via multicast across its own network only.

Edit : BBC iPlayer as well but only in trial and to limited numbers.

BT is expanding its UHD streaming service (see below).

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...136580.article