Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   One or two new channels coming to Freesat. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701557)

nashville 03-02-2016 15:12

Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Thanks Richard , Fingers crossed, Nash

RichardCoulter 03-02-2016 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35820179)
It's definitely coming. AIUI, they bought the EPG slot from Showcase on Sky because there is a shortage of SD EPG slots.

There isn't on Freesat, so they probably found it cheaper to start up the channel from scratch as opposed to obtaining the Freesat EPG slot from Showcase.

Not sure if this would require a new satellite broadcasting too, as it's a brand new channel on Freesat, as opposed to being an existing Channel with a change of use.

The word 'licence' should have appeared after 'broadcasting' :dozey:

nashville 04-02-2016 00:03

Thanks again

nodrogd 06-02-2016 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35820179)
It's definitely coming. AIUI, they bought the EPG slot from Showcase on Sky because there is a shortage of SD EPG slots.

There isn't on Freesat, so they probably found it cheaper to start up the channel from scratch as opposed to obtaining the Freesat EPG slot from Showcase.

Not sure if this would require a new satellite broadcasting too, as it's a brand new channel on Freesat, as opposed to being an existing Channel with a change of use.

You can of course switch to non-freesat mode if its available & tune in manually for now. Channel looks pretty good. Been watching it on Freeview 254 via broadband. Its also available through the website I quoted earlier.

Audience figures from the first 10 days of operations have exceeded their expectations for the entire first month already, & quoting from philmack's website.

" We are pleased to say that we will be making a MAJOR announcement about expansion of this channel within the next month , and can confirm that we should receive our Freesat Channel number within the next few days , and hopefully be broadcasting on Freesat within 14 days" .

nashville 06-02-2016 14:52

Looking forward to watching this Channel .

dilli-theclaw 06-02-2016 18:46

I suppose Dave still isn't on freesat?

I could see me dumping sky if they did that. Freeview is really bad here in Sandy (which is odd as I can see the transmitter out the window - well I could if I could see, oh you know what I mean ;) )

Stuart 06-02-2016 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35820871)

I could see me dumping sky if they did that. Freeview is really bad here in Sandy (which is odd as I can see the transmitter out the window - well I could if I could see, oh you know what I mean ;) )

Depends how far you are away from it. If you are too close the signal may be going over your house (rather than by it) or it may be too strong.

nodrogd 06-02-2016 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35820884)
Depends how far you are away from it. If you are too close the signal may be going over your house (rather than by it) or it may be too strong.

The latter is more than likely. Living next door to a 200kW transmitter is no fun, though a set-top aerial with a variable 1 - 20dB attenuator downstream of it should deal with most issues.

nodrogd 17-02-2016 22:49

Keep It Country TV will launch on the Music section of Freesat on channel 516 shortly. They have also secured a Freeview slot, with a prospective launch date in April.

nashville 17-02-2016 23:09

Good News for me, I just love Country Music, The Traditional kind, Not the modern stuff,

Chris 17-02-2016 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35820871)

Not yet, but as several UKTV channels have recently launched on Freesat, the omens are good.

They have never been clear about their reasons for not being FTA long before now. I suspect it's a combination of an exclusive carriage deal with Sky and lack of spot-beam capacity for UK broadcast and they will go FTA as soon as they can resolve those. They have expressed their intention to make Dave a mainstream entertainment channel and are spending money on original content. It would be odd for them not to be universally available across the UK if they are serious about that.

RichardCoulter 18-02-2016 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35822515)
Not yet, but as several UKTV channels have recently launched on Freesat, the omens are good.

They have never been clear about their reasons for not being FTA long before now. I suspect it's a combination of an exclusive carriage deal with Sky and lack of spot-beam capacity for UK broadcast and they will go FTA as soon as they can resolve those. They have expressed their intention to make Dave a mainstream entertainment channel and are spending money on original content. It would be odd for them not to be universally available across the UK if they are serious about that.

The next UKTV channel to go FTA will be Home on 1/3/16 on Freeview. I can see them adding it to Freesat too, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/art...tv-moves-home/

RichardCoulter 18-02-2016 13:26

Bad news I'm afraid, just found out that Home will remain in the Pay packages on both VM and Sky "for the foreseeable future".

Looks like those who want to watch this Channel for free will have to use Freeview (if they are able to).

nodrogd 28-02-2016 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35822508)
Keep It Country TV will launch on the Music section of Freesat on channel 516 shortly. They have also secured a Freeview slot, with a prospective launch date in April.

Keep It Country have now moved to the Music section on Sky (389), & will launch on the Music section of Freesat on 1st March (516). They are still using the Freeview HD IP slot Showcase used to occupy (254), although there is no news on whether this will be maintained when they launch a Freeview HD broadcast slot in April on Freeview MUX 7, which will only have 75% UK coverage.

nashville 28-02-2016 20:29

Looking forward to This new Country Channel. Will be home from holiday on Thursday ,