Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Catholic Church admits Bible is BS (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710479)

Dude111 19-10-2021 04:24

http://web.archive.org/web/201005111...icle574768.ece

Quote:

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible. [more]
This is quite confusing!!

Of anyone to say this,YOU WOULDNT THINK A CHURCH WOULD!!

OLD BOY 19-10-2021 07:46

Re: Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36097949)
http://web.archive.org/web/201005111...icle574768.ece

This is quite confusing!!

Of anyone to say this,YOU WOULDNT THINK A CHURCH WOULD!!

What is confusing is the contortions the Church is making to justify the truth of the religion as a whole.

No need to worry, though. Just belief the bits the Church tells you to and disregard the rest.

What tosh!

Maggy 19-10-2021 08:47

With all due respect parts of the bible are well over 2 thousand years old. They didn't have the scientific knowledge that we now have and therefore didn't have the ability to explain all that they came up against.this means that they weren't necessarily making things up but they just didn't have the means to explain what they saw in any real meaningful way.

Chris 19-10-2021 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097954)
What is confusing is the contortions the Church is making to justify the truth of the religion as a whole.

No need to worry, though. Just belief the bits the Church tells you to and disregard the rest.

What tosh!

This is grade-A, some-bloke-down-the-pub-said, nonsense. Beginning with your somewhat odd use of the term “the Church,” as if there’s a single, Pullmanesque Magisterium lurking on every street corner ensuring correct thought. You have heard of the Reformation, I assume? It was a pretty big deal in a lot of places, including the island you live on.

I’ve engaged enthusiastically with religion threads on this board for many years and I can tell you, the arguments we debated in CF’s early days were of a far higher quality than this.

tweetiepooh 19-10-2021 09:42

From a reformed perspective we would talk about biblical inerrancy as being the Bible is true in everything that it claims to be true. And while it is true that it is not and doesn't claim to be a scientific record that doesn't mean that what it reports is not true. Yes there are accounts in there that are illustrative but there are also miraculous events that (I believe) are historical. There are also prophetic/apocalyptic writings that are still to be fulfilled.

It has been repeatedly shown that it is historically correct and that the content we have today is as close to the autographs (originals) as makes no difference.

Further the article quoted is from 2005.

Jaymoss 19-10-2021 09:54

For all prophesies in Revelation to come true Babylon the great or false religion must fall ;)

Chris 19-10-2021 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36097962)
From a reformed perspective we would talk about biblical inerrancy as being the Bible is true in everything that it claims to be true. And while it is true that it is not and doesn't claim to be a scientific record that doesn't mean that what it reports is not true. Yes there are accounts in there that are illustrative but there are also miraculous events that (I believe) are historical. There are also prophetic/apocalyptic writings that are still to be fulfilled.

It has been repeatedly shown that it is historically correct and that the content we have today is as close to the autographs (originals) as makes no difference.

Further the article quoted is from 2005.

All very true, but from a reformed perspective we have a problem when senior evangelicals in America go round producing stuff like the Chicago Confession. Don’t get me wrong, I’m on board with probably 99% of it but their choice of language is difficult to say the least. Scripture’s testimony about itself is that it is God-inspired. That is not quite the same thing as asserting that the Holy Spirit is the Divine Author of scripture, as the Chicago Confession does. Inspiration and authorship are different stages in the production of any material and scripture - which we believe to be inerrant in all matters of faith and conduct - chooses to identify God with the former and humans with the latter. It doesn’t do to mix them up.

I could go on at length but essay-scale posts are rarely helpful.

papa smurf 19-10-2021 11:32

Maybe it's time for a new bible:erm:

Jaymoss 19-10-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097985)
Maybe it's time for a new bible:erm:

it is time for Armageddon the world we live in is wicked and I for one would greet the horsemen with a glad heart

Carth 19-10-2021 12:03

The world has always been wicked, it's just that advances in communication mean we are exposed to more of it than we see locally.

But yeah, bring on the horses :)

papa smurf 19-10-2021 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36097991)
The world has always been wicked, it's just that advances in communication mean we are exposed to more of it than we see locally.

But yeah, bring on the horses :)

In this day and age it would have to be the four E scooterists of the apocalypse

Chris 19-10-2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097997)
In this day and age it would have to be the four E scooterists of the apocalypse

Horses are actually carbon neutral, so it’s all good :tu:

papa smurf 19-10-2021 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36097998)
Horses are actually carbon neutral, so it’s all good :tu:

E scooters don't crap all over the road and you can switch them off when you're not riding them.

Chris 19-10-2021 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36098000)
E scooters don't crap all over the road and you can switch them off when you're not riding them.

No, but they subject everyone else to crap driving skills and are frequently left dumped in the street when Charlie chav has finished with them.

Stephen 19-10-2021 13:47

That link is over 11 years old. Hardly current news. What have the Catholic Church said on the matter recently?