Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710477)

Stephen 18-10-2021 14:08

Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58957273

Quote:

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell has died aged 84 of Covid-19 complications, his family has announced.

Hugh 18-10-2021 15:45

Re: Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications

Before the tinfoil milliners start…

Quote:

A source familiar with the matter said Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response. Even if fully vaccinated against Covid-19, those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk from the virus.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/18/p...ies/index.html

TheDaddy 18-10-2021 17:00

Wasn't a fan of him due to his role in the 2nd Iraq war

OLD BOY 18-10-2021 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36097872)
Wasn't a fan of him due to his role in the 2nd Iraq war

Still, the initiative got rid of Saddam Hussein. That must be worth something.

He, like many others, was fooled by the false claims relating to weapons of mass disruption. Tony Blair was convinced by a university student’s thesis on the subject. I’m not sure how George Bush persuaded Colin Powell, but I’m sure it looked good. :erm:

spiderplant 18-10-2021 22:33

I was once on the same flight as him, just after his tenure as SoS had ended. It was impressive to see the Secret Service in action. At the end of the flight he just vanished. It was like magic!

R.I.P.

Pierre 19-10-2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097893)

Getting of Saddam was not a great idea.

Chris 19-10-2021 12:20

Quote:

He, like many others, was fooled by the false claims relating to weapons of mass disruption. Tony Blair was convinced by a university student’s thesis on the subject. I’m not sure how George Bush persuaded Colin Powell, but I’m sure it looked good. :erm:

Saddam was a nasty piece of work, but his adventures in Kuwait had already given us all the justification required to contain him. Invading Iraq and removing him has seriously undermined our moral authority and made it easier for far nastier people to build power bases in the country.

Carth 19-10-2021 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36098001)
Saddam was a nasty piece of work, but his adventures in Kuwait had already given us all the justification required to contain him. Invading Iraq and removing him has seriously undermined our moral authority and made it easier for far nastier people to build power bases in the country.

I've always had the (maybe wrong) opinion that taking the big nasty man out opened the door for lots of other nasty men . . and still unsure which is the better of the two

Hugh 19-10-2021 19:43

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...7&d=1634668762

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...ce-11634659945

Chris 19-10-2021 19:45

Classy.

1andrew1 19-10-2021 20:10

Desperate stuff.

If he's going to be mean, he should consider employing a writer to write something vaguely polished and amusing.

jfman 19-10-2021 21:16

What the f…

TheDaddy 19-10-2021 21:46

Quote:

Worth a whole load of death and suffering to millions of people, it might have been worth something when he was massacring civilians but when we chose to remove him according to amnesty international he wasn't a threat to his people or neighbours, probably because he'd done away with all resistance

Quote:

He was one of the architects of the lie, don't you remember his crappy power points with the al-qaeda trucks driving through Iraq

OLD BOY 21-10-2021 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36098001)

That is true, because there was no peace plan. Kicking the Ba'athists out of work wasn’t the best of ideas either.

The war was successful. The resulting occupation was a disaster.

Chris 21-10-2021 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36098376)
That is true, because there was no peace plan. Kicking the Ba'athists out of work wasn’t the best of ideas either.

The war was successful. The resulting occupation was a disaster.

Given that the point of the war was to occupy Iraq and change its system of government, your statement contradicts itself.

The war could only be said to be successful on the artificially narrow criterion of removing Saddam. My geography A level was successful on the very narrow criterion of turning up and getting a grade. However neither adventure was successful as soon as the very reasonable demand for more than short term benefits is considered. My geography A level didn’t get me my chosen degree course. The war in Iraq didn’t achieve the reasonable expectation of any war, which is that the situation afterwards should be better than the situation before.