Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Streaming : Squid Game (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710472)

SnoopZ 16-10-2021 20:34

Squid Game

Anyone else watching this?

Chris 16-10-2021 20:59

Re: Squid Game

Planning to. Lots to get through at the moment so I might not get to it for a while.

Hugh 16-10-2021 21:23

Watched the first two - enjoying it so far.

Paul 16-10-2021 23:30

Nope.

Seems popular, but tbh, the description for it doesnt inspire me to watch it.

The trailer seems like the hunger games [with subtitles, which puts me off it as well].

Carth 17-10-2021 00:30

Wife, daughter and daughters boyfriend finished watching it last night.

I've caught little snippets of it while doing other things, saw nothing of any real interest to me.

SnoopZ 17-10-2021 00:32

I'm watching it, but it's all seriously grim and depressing and makes something like the Hunger Games seem very mild in comparison.

Maggy 17-10-2021 10:00

No thanks.Not for me.

General Maximus 17-10-2021 10:05

I like the premise of it but it seemed all action and no story (depth) to me so it put me off.

Quote:

“Squid Game,” the hyper-buzzy Korean drama that has become Netflix’s biggest-ever TV show, is on track to deliver an astounding payback for the streaming service, according to the company’s internal estimates.

Netflix paid $21.4 million for the nine-episode series, which premiered four weeks ago, and the company estimates “Squid Game” will deliver more than 40 times that — an estimated $891 million — in what it calls “impact value,” Bloomberg reported Saturday evening, citing confidential internal data that someone provided to the outlet.

Hugh 17-10-2021 10:33

Not a lot of action in the first two episodes (one set piece), as it sets up the story and some characters background.

daveeb 17-10-2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36097644)
Anyone else watching this?

Yes, really enjoyed it, I could imagine it wouldn't be to everyones taste. Very violent as is often the way with Korean offerings.
I then went on to watch Alice in Borderland, been around for a while on Netflix and of a similar genre.

SnoopZ 23-10-2021 19:51

Just finished watching and i can't believe a wasted my time watching that mindless crap.

Stuart 24-10-2021 17:57

Watched a couple of episodes.

I don't like it. Not worried by the violence. Violence doesn't bother me. What does bother me is to identify with a story, I have to feel something for at least one of the characters. I don't have to like them, but as long as I feel something, I am happy. I don't feel anything for any of the characters in this. They are just a bunch of generic, badly written losers being played with by a bad company staffed by people with such a lack of personality, they might just as well be robots.

Also, the dubbing. I have no problem with dubbing if it is well done. With most games, the sound department do a good job of making the voice actor sound like they are speaking where the character is sited. If the character is in a large room, the voice actor sounds like they are in a large room. I don't watch many dubbed movies or shows, but the ones that do it well also do this. Squid game doesn't. Every character sounds exactly the same no matter what environment they are in. I haven't heard dubbing this bad since the 90s, when they first added speech to computer games.

General Maximus 24-10-2021 20:19

So it is poorly made, not realistic and to summarise the two paragraphs above we can say it is killing your realism factor? ;)

Paul 24-10-2021 21:31

Nice try, but nowhere did he say 'unrealistic', or mention realism - just poorly made. ;)

Realism is not something science fiction programs do.
They are all basically unrealistic, thats kinda the point of them.

SnoopZ 24-10-2021 22:26

For anyone who also uses the subtitles, at time the dubbing says something completely different to what the titles say which I found annoying.