Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will Scotland Leave the UK? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684496)

Osem 21-01-2012 10:41

Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35366469)
The SNP seems to have accepted that it's not a good idea to design a referendum with rules that would make a banana republic blush ... Instead of inventing his own body to 'supervise' the poll, he has now agreed that it's probably a good idea if the (shock, horror) Electoral Commission is allowed to do what it's paid to do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-16659665

Well that'll be a good way to ensure they can blame someone else if they don't get the result they want won't it! I can hear Salmond now ranting on about the damned Westminster controlled Electoral Commission depriving long suffering Scots of their destiny as part of one 'arc of prosperity' or another....;)

Alan Fry 30-01-2012 11:04

Businesswoman Michelle Mone want to move to England if Scotland become indepedent and calls SNP MSPs Muppets!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...6908-23726637/

Chris 30-01-2012 11:18

She's not the only one to make that threat over the years and she won't be the last to repeat it now the referendum debate is properly underway.

Pierre 30-01-2012 12:22

Question:

When the SNP hold the referendum, if they are beaten then the very thing they exist for has been removed from them.

Surely the need for the SNP suddenly becomes irrelevant?

Alan Fry 30-01-2012 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35372031)
She's not the only one to make that threat over the years and she won't be the last to repeat it now the referendum debate is properly underway.

Mohamed Al-Fayed on the other hand wants to move to Scotland and if it becomes a republic, beocome its President!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/148198-a...ve-to-scotland

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-21774572/

Chris 30-01-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35372071)
Question:

When the SNP hold the referendum, if they are beaten then the very thing they exist for has been removed from them.

Surely the need for the SNP suddenly becomes irrelevant?

Not really ... Scotland's alternative party of government to Labour has got to be left-of-centre, because left-of-centre is where the centre ground of politics is in Scotland at the moment. The SNP is a left-of-centre party and this is the reason it was able to secure such a convincing victory in 2011. Alex Salmond is first minister despite his separatist agenda, not because of it. Note that while the Scottish electorate returned almost exactly the same General Election result in 2010 as they had in 2005, in the 2011 Holyrood election Labour got a serious kicking. Public opinion hadn't changed all that radically during those 12 months; it just shows that the Scottish electorate is rather more intelligent than it is sometimes given credit for and knows the difference in functions of Westminster and Holyrood and where a vote for one party in one assembly may be more valuable than a vote for that party in another.

If (when) the SNP fails to end the United Kingdom in 2014 it will be in a position of advocating the long-term aim of separatism whilst simultaneously being forced to acknowledge that the question can't be asked again any time soon (though I am certain they will start agitating to ask it again rather sooner than anyone else would like). Having set that aside I would expect them to continue to operate as a left-of-centre alternative to Labour with a policy agenda that seeks to set Scotland apart from England at every possible opportunity.

The thing to remember about Salmond is that, unlike many in his party, he is and has always been a gradualist.

Alan Fry 30-01-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35372083)
Not really ... Scotland's alternative party of government to Labour has got to be left-of-centre, because left-of-centre is where the centre ground of politics is in Scotland at the moment. The SNP is a left-of-centre party and this is the reason it was able to secure such a convincing victory in 2010. Alex Salmond is first minister despite his separatist agenda, not because of it.

If (when) the SNP fails to end the United Kingdom in 2014 it will be in a position of advocating the long-term aim of separatism whilst simultaneously being forced to acknowledge that the question can't be asked again any time soon (though I am certain they will start agitating to ask it again rather sooner than anyone else would like). Having set that aside I would expect them to continue to operate as a left-of-centre alternative to Labour with a policy agenda that seeks to set Scotland apart from England at every possible opportunity.

The thing to remember about Salmond is that, unlike many in his party, he is and has always been a gradualist.

So if Labour becomes more Left wing, will most SNP voters go to Labour?

TheDaddy 30-01-2012 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35372072)
Mohamed Al-Fayed on the other hand wants to move to Scotland and if it becomes a republic, beocome its President!

Probably the only way he'll get a passport...

Sirius 30-01-2012 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35372242)
Probably the only way he'll get a passport...

Excellent :)

Alan Fry 31-01-2012 14:59

I think that England should get its own parliament with the same powers and the same amount of public spending per person as Scotland

Sirius 31-01-2012 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35372812)
I think that England should get its own parliament with the same powers and the same amount of public spending per person as Scotland

?????

Which lesson at your university gave you that idea.

Alan Fry 31-01-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35372881)
?????

Which lesson at your university gave you that idea.

So that we can run our own affairs and get better benifits!

nashville 31-01-2012 16:39

We would be worse off, I love Scotland as this is my home. But we all need to stay in the UK.

Derek 31-01-2012 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35372812)

So every person of the UK should get the same level of spending regardless of remoteness, social deprivation, multi-generational unemployment and other factors? :dozey:

Alan Fry 01-02-2012 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35373145)
So every person of the UK should get the same level of spending regardless of remoteness, social deprivation, multi-generational unemployment and other factors? :dozey:

No, but England should have more devolution and more public spending! We have deprivation, multi-generational unemployment everywere (except London & the South East) as Scotland