Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706068)

demaine 20-02-2018 13:54

V6 box

Hi,can I still get tv channels with the V6 box if my internet goes down ,I have been told yes and no ,given that the broadband can have problems as I have with mine ,I am not certain I want a new box ,but if I can still get tv ,I will take it.

RobboEdin 20-02-2018 13:57

Re: V6 box

Live TV and recordings will continue to work.
If the outage is long, the Guide won’t be getting updated with the eventual result that recordings won’t schedule.

devilincarnate 20-02-2018 14:31

As Robbo says live TV will work but catch up and on demand will not

Raider999 20-02-2018 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by demaine (Post 35937756)
Hi,can I still get tv channels with the V6 box if my internet goes down ,I have been told yes and no ,given that the broadband can have problems as I have with mine ,I am not certain I want a new box ,but if I can still get tv ,I will take it.

Why not get virgin to sort out your broadband problems:confused:

Itshim 21-02-2018 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35937805)
Why not get virgin to sort out your broadband problems:confused:

In my case they denie that there is fault. As it is Random I have given up.

Mr K 21-02-2018 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35937869)
In my case they denie that there is fault. As it is Random I have given up.

Give up paying them, until they fix the fault.

nomadking 21-02-2018 20:24

If the TV is working, then it can't be a problem with the cable. If the signal levels look ok from their end, then there is nothing to suggest a major problem at their end.

Have you tried using different cables? A dodgy connector might to blame.

Onramp 21-02-2018 22:36

It depends on the reason your Internet is down. If it's a physical problem, you won't get TV signals either.

Itshim 22-02-2018 18:34

Hub has been changed ,levels are fine cables good.no problem with TV .as I said only noticed problem when my digital radio broke and l switch to pc to pick up my favourite stations . Before that it may or may not Ben a problem,as I said it's between 1and 5 minutes perhaps once or twice a week. Getting new radio ! Or perhaps will use smart TV!

Raider999 22-02-2018 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35938064)
Hub has been changed ,levels are fine cables good.no problem with TV .as I said only noticed problem when my digital radio broke and l switch to pc to pick up my favourite stations . Before that it may or may not Ben a problem,as I said it's between 1and 5 minutes perhaps once or twice a week. Getting new radio ! Or perhaps will use smart TV!

Funny you should say that, every couple of weeks I experience 2 or 3 BB outages within a couple of days, then all ok until the next time

Mad Max 23-02-2018 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35938064)

How would I know if mine has been updated, is there a version number somewhere? Thx.

Henkesghost 23-02-2018 15:45

Got V6 delivered today, no hassles in set up at all, impressed

cityfan247 23-02-2018 20:17

Got 2 V6's today. Install was by engineer. However the update install kept failing on both boxes. One was connected via wi-fi and the other by powerlines.

The engineer said it was a problem at VM not my end. Said he couldnt wait around as could take a few hours so I spent the next few hours completing the install myself. Finally the updates did download about 5 hours later.

The interface appears the same as the Tivo's they replaced. But I have to say it is soooooo much quicker.

My wife doesnt like the look of it. Its not the most stylish looking box i suppose but I think better the the 'massive' Tivo.

The next thing will be to try my Netflix and You Tube 4K.

Raider999 24-02-2018 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35938175)
Got 2 V6's today. Install was by engineer. However the update install kept failing on both boxes. One was connected via wi-fi and the other by powerlines.

The engineer said it was a problem at VM not my end. Said he couldnt wait around as could take a few hours so I spent the next few hours completing the install myself. Finally the updates did download about 5 hours later.

The interface appears the same as the Tivo's they replaced. But I have to say it is soooooo much quicker.

My wife doesnt like the look of it. Its not the most stylish looking box i suppose but I think better the the 'massive' Tivo.

The next thing will be to try my Netflix and You Tube 4K.

Not sure why people slate the appearance of the V6 box. It is small unobtrusive - every other box I have (or have had is much bigger) - is it because there aren't any flashing lights?

In my opinion that is a bonus. Additionally you can put it in a cabinet and the remote still works (unlike most other boxes)

SnoopZ 24-02-2018 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35938233)
Not sure why people slate the appearance of the V6 box. It is small unobtrusive - every other box I have (or have had is much bigger) - is it because there aren't any flashing lights?

In my opinion that is a bonus. Additionally you can put it in a cabinet and the remote still works (unlike most other boxes)

In my opinion it looks like a Mini VCR recorder from the 80s, they could have improved the appearance more.

Saying that there is nothing wrong with it as a product, but it doesn't look as nice as modern day electronics.