Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Your broadband might be coming from an old public toilet.. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705978)

Stuart 26-01-2018 12:51

Your broadband might be coming from an old public toilet..

Virgin Media has a apparently well hidden section of their website where they list where they have infrastructure installed. Your local network hardware could well be in a public toilet, a playing field or any one of a number of repurposed municipal buildings.. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...odd_locations/

Taf 26-01-2018 13:49

Re: Your broadband might be coming from an old public toilet..

I know of many weird locations used for "communications" in the UK. All under the OSA of course.

Paul 26-01-2018 14:43

Quote:

Thanks to a very obscure corner of Virgin Media's website detailing all of its local infrastructure sites
So where on the site is this information ?

cje85 26-01-2018 14:57

I'm not sure if I should link to it but it's part of the Virgin Media Business site. I'm not convinced they really intend for a list of all their hubsites to be so publicly available but it's been there for a while.

pip08456 26-01-2018 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35934129)
So where on the site is this information ?

Link

Paul 26-01-2018 15:31

I always wondered where I was connected to, now I know. :D

Onramp 26-01-2018 23:55

I also noticed this information was accidentally available about 4 - 5 months ago now - but kept quiet since there's a reason these places are not supposed to be generally known about.

BT are less secretive about their exchange and data centre locations than Virgin - but that's just their main exchanges...

Synthetic 27-01-2018 13:35

It'd be interesting to know what I'm connected to round here, if anyone fancies giving me a quick nudge by PM :)

nffc 27-01-2018 22:13

Perfect excuse if your connection is s*** now ;)

General Maximus 28-01-2018 09:39

Interestingly my exchange is a few miles down the road and I drive past it on the way to work every day. I might take a minor detour next time and see if there are any signs outside and what it looks like.

weesteev 28-01-2018 12:15

VM hubsites are generally unsigned and pretty well secured for a very good reason ;)

Onramp 28-01-2018 12:23

I never worked out what K&N or Eam mean - but that must be internal terminology.

General Maximus 28-01-2018 12:24

I would love to go inside and see what it looks like with all the hardware and stuff. I am curioys to know whether it is just a boring room with a humming noise or wall to wall of flickering led's

Sirius 28-01-2018 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35934399)
I would love to go inside and see what it looks like with all the hardware and stuff. I am curioys to know whether it is just a boring room with a humming noise or wall to wall of flickering led's

I go in them every other day and some are as you say all flashing flickering lights , whilst others don't have a lot in them yet :).

But as it has been stated they all have high security on them.

vm_tech 28-01-2018 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35934399)

Lights, cables and air con!