Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : New offer from Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707730)

007stuart 30-05-2019 17:58

New offer from Virgin

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...-home-service/

For those who get an invite there will be a range of options available, including a three-pod Plume package for £6 per month.

Taf 30-05-2019 19:39

Re: New offer from Virgin

So they are saying that the shub3 has hopeless coverage indoors, so we have to pay to improve it?

SnoopZ 30-05-2019 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35997265)
So they are saying that the shub3 has hopeless coverage indoors, so we have to pay to improve it?

To be fair i would expect that is fact for all home ISP equipment.

copernob 02-06-2019 02:43

So like a few other tecky stuff they found a way to Spy on you. I'll stick to my power plugs.

SnoopZ 02-06-2019 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35997607)
So like a few other tecky stuff they found a way to Spy on you. I'll stick to my power plugs.

Not sure how you came to the spying conclusion from this thread.

roughbeast 02-06-2019 11:29

Not an option for us folk on modem-only mode. No problem, because most folk with their own routers have found their own WiFi coverage solutions.

However, optimum WiFi coverage around the home is a big selling point atm, with BT insisting that their product is the best! Maybe so, but no stand-alone WiFi hub is going to cover the average-sized or larger home. Some boosting arrangement is required be it Asus Aimesh, Asus Lyra, power plugs etc

It makes sense, therefore, that Virgin bring out their own arrangement that may out-gun anything any other ISP can offer. In the long run they need to sell it as standard, at no extra cost, in all their packages, otherwise, as Taf has suggested, we are paying extra for a service we should already have.

Rob King 03-06-2019 02:15

I got the V. Vip package last week with 500mb and spent 90 minutes with tech guys as I can only reach 360mb also the free sim I was going to use as I just ended my contract with virgin mobile I was told I can't swap my number over ( which I was told I can when swapping over package) so don't know what to do i even got a spare v6 box which I'll never use as only have 1 TV in the house anyone else having problems?

roughbeast 04-06-2019 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 35997696)
I got the V. Vip package last week with 500mb and spent 90 minutes with tech guys as I can only reach 360mb also the free sim I was going to use as I just ended my contract with virgin mobile I was told I can't swap my number over ( which I was told I can when swapping over package) so don't know what to do i even got a spare v6 box which I'll never use as only have 1 TV in the house anyone else having problems?

No problems. I'm getting 550+ Mb downstream consistently 24/7 and 36Mb upstream. My SIM retained the existing number by request.

Everything was set up by an on-shore call centre where each operative is trained to deal with all aspects of your bundle + mobile, activation etc. I got the cheapest deal of £99 for one year even though I am an existing customer.

BTW Are you connected by ethernet when you do your speed test?

Rob King 04-06-2019 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35997975)
No problems. I'm getting 550+ Mb downstream consistently 24/7 and 36Mb upstream. My SIM retained the existing number by request.

Everything was set up by an on-shore call centre where each operative is trained to deal with all aspects of your bundle + mobile, activation etc. I got the cheapest deal of £99 for one year even though I am an existing customer.

BTW Are you connected by ethernet when you do your speed test?

I am using my wired laptop to the modem, spoke with virgin media Monday and I asked them to send a new modem out even thou they say there's nothing wrong with it will get it Wednesday so will update then the guy said its possible to change my current sim to the unlimited package as I'm out of contract with virgin mobile now

jb66 05-06-2019 09:24

Plumes wifi specs:

AC2100 Gigabit Wi-Fi (300 + 1733 Mbps)

Same as the BT discs

roughbeast 05-06-2019 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 35997976)
I am using my wired laptop to the modem, spoke with virgin media Monday and I asked them to send a new modem out even thou they say there's nothing wrong with it will get it Wednesday so will update then the guy said its possible to change my current sim to the unlimited package as I'm out of contract with virgin mobile now

Other possibilities for low speed test results are that your laptop processor is struggling with the test itself. Does your speed reading fluctuate markedly during the test? That could be a sign of a struggling processor.

Have you tried a file download speed test? Try this one.

https://speed.hetzner.de/

I download 1Gb in 16 seconds. Which is about what I would expect with a 500Mb connection.