Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CCleaner browser your thoughts (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709383)

Itshim 23-09-2020 16:32

CCleaner browser your thoughts

Guess title says it all. Any users of this ?:confused:

SnoopZ 23-09-2020 16:43

Re: ccleaner browser your thoughts

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

Ccleaner used to be good until Avast bought them, then that had privacy issues, so that is why I say don't use their browser.

Btw an excellent replacement for Ccleaner itself is called Privacy Eraser.

admars 23-09-2020 16:55

i didn't like the fact the browser installed itsef, and set itself to open on startup. despite what they say it seems more clunky than chrome to me, so i got rid of it.

SnoopZ 23-09-2020 19:32

Re: CCleaner browser your thoughts

If it was installed with Ccleaner there was probably an option to not install it.

Get rid of Ccleaner if you have it.

admars 24-09-2020 08:07

this the one you recommend?

https://www.cybertronsoft.com/products/privacy-eraser/

Taf 24-09-2020 09:14

When I moved to Win10, I also moved to the free version of Wisecare 365 and didn't instal Ccleaner.

Hom3r 24-09-2020 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36051281)
Don't touch it with a barge pole.

CCleaner used to be good until Avast bought them, then that had privacy issues, so that is why I say don't use their browser.

BTW an excellent replacement for CCleaner itself is called Privacy Eraser.

I looked at Privacy Eraser, but Windows protection threw up a warning, I saw the publisher is Shenzhen Saiboen which to me looks like a Chinese company so red flags are waving furiously

SnoopZ 24-09-2020 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 36051329)

Yes thats it, it is awesome.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36051343)
I looked at Privacy Eraser, but Windows protection threw up a warning, I saw the publisher is Shenzhen Saiboen which to me looks like a Chinese company so red flags are waving furiously

It's pretty normal for Windows to throw a warning on software like this, i'm not worried about it unlike the crap from Avast and Ccleaner.

Itshim 25-09-2020 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 36051329)

Would it be of any real benefit to put this on . When already running kaspasky ?

SnoopZ 25-09-2020 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36051448)
Would it be of any real benefit to put this on . When already running kaspasky ?

It's not an anti virus, I just use it to clear crap left behind from websites and the secure erasing, I just run it once a day and I don't mess with the registry cleaning part of it.

Itshim 25-09-2020 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36051451)
It's not an anti virus, I just use it to clear crap left behind from websites and the secure erasing, I just run it once a day and I don't mess with the registry cleaning part of it.

Thanks will give it a spin

Itshim 26-09-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36051451)

Looking at it this morning Kaspersky comes with pc cleaner unused data cleaner privacy cleaner browser configuration Microsoft Windows troubleshooting data encryption file shedder. So repeat my question .any point in adding it

admars 26-09-2020 16:49

who knows. the reason i was using ccleaner was to get rid of the crap. windows update kept failing on one of our laptops, followed so many guides, deleting temp files, previous downloaded updates, cach etc. ccleaner got rid of some crud or fixed something so update worked.

why not just download it and run it. if it says "Nothing to do" great, if it say "we can't delete these files, you need to pay for the pro version" then remove it, if it offers to trash some stuff which looks sensible to trash, then you have your answer.

SnoopZ 26-09-2020 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36051502)
Looking at it this morning Kaspersky comes with pc cleaner unused data cleaner privacy cleaner browser configuration Microsoft Windows troubleshooting data encryption file shedder. So repeat my question .any point in adding it

What admars says and you won't need the pro version.

But if Kaspersky has it all ready then use that if you just want it to remove crap.

alanbjames 26-09-2020 20:48

I just tried this and its awful, was on my PC all of about 10 minutes and i removed.