Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Boris resigns as party leader (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710650)

Carth 08-12-2021 12:06

Re: Owen Paterson: Anger as Tory MP avoids suspension in rule shake-up

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104761)
And the worst of it? It's all either ignored. Or attempted to be justified and accepted by a large percentage of the public.

I think 'a large percentage of the public' don't give two hoots about 'Partygate'.

Many of the general public don't give a fig about lots of stuff . .

mrmistoffelees 08-12-2021 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104765)
I think 'a large percentage of the public' don't give two hoots about 'Partygate'.

Oh i agree, I'd argue they perhaps should?

Pierre 08-12-2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104765)

I get all the "should be held to higher standard" etc etc, but they evidence by their actions that most don't have any standards.

The output of this is apathy, and referring to that wonderful quote the Hugh researched from Thatcher, if they tried to impose any further restrictions I think most people would just flout them now.

Carth 08-12-2021 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104767)
Oh i agree, I'd argue they perhaps should?

It all depends on what they perceive to be 'important' in their everyday lives . . .

Is the TV still working? *yes*
Is Facebook still working? *yes*
Is my car still working? *yes*
Can I still shop online? *yes*

jfman 08-12-2021 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104769)
It all depends on what they perceive to be 'important' in their everyday lives . . .

Is the TV still working? *yes*
Is Facebook still working? *yes*
Is my car still working? *yes*
Can I still shop online? *yes*

Very true, but elections are won and lost in the margins. One per cent here, two per cent there.

The knives will be out.

Carth 08-12-2021 12:28

Yes the knives will be out, but it won't be the 'general public' wielding them.

mrmistoffelees 08-12-2021 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104768)
I get all the "should be held to higher standard" etc etc, but they evidence by their actions that most don't have any standards.

The output of this is apathy, and referring to that wonderful quote the Hugh researched from Thatcher, if they tried to impose any further restrictions I think most people would just flout them now.

I can't argue with that to be honest. If any sort of household mixing were to be introduced I'd like to think i'd go along with it, but if i'm honest I'd just carry on as normal.

Decisive action was required to nip this in the bud, they've not done that, the moral authority if not gone is in in question. and yet STILL Keir Starmer can't get a fatal blow in

Hugh 08-12-2021 13:41

So Johnson has thrown his staff under the bus - that could come back to haunt him…

btw, "I apologise for the impression that was given" is up there with "I’m sorry you felt you were offended" as far as fauxpologies go…

Damien 08-12-2021 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104774)
Decisive action was required to nip this in the bud, they've not done that, the moral authority if not gone is in in question. and yet STILL Keir Starmer can't get a fatal blow in

What kind of fatal blow are you expecting? His questions were good and awkward for Johnson, and he got a commitment for No 10 to hand over details of any parties (plural) to the police.

The story has enough traction on it's own though.

jfman 08-12-2021 15:11

Scottish Conservative leader and bang average lineo Douglas Ross has called for Boris Johnson to resign if he misled Parliament. A caveat that, unless he’s completely forgotten about a party he was actually at, doesn’t mean much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...5Bpost+type%5D

mrmistoffelees 08-12-2021 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36104784)
What kind of fatal blow are you expecting? His questions were good and awkward for Johnson, and he got a commitment for No 10 to hand over details of any parties (plural) to the police.

The story has enough traction on it's own though.

To me, it appeared that Boris managed to brush off his questioning quite easily.

The police according to some media sources were already aware of what was going on.

Any inquiry is either going to end in

a. going to be forgotten about
b. a small sacrificial lamb will be offered
c. the police will say not enough evidence

IMHO

Hugh 08-12-2021 15:40

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-new...gives-12469075

Premise 1 - we have been repeatedly told "there was no party"

Quote:

In repeatedly denying a bash ever took place ("there was no Christmas party", we were told), the prime minister, his senior ministers and spokespeople seem to have lied albeit unwittingly.

During a tense briefing of journalists this afternoon, Boris Johnson's two spokespeople refused to say who was responsible for giving the PM incorrect "assurances" that no event had taken place.

They were also unable to confirm whether top civil servant Simon Case was in attendance at the bash, even though he is the man tasked with investigating it.

Government sources later clarified he (Simon Case) was not present.

Boris Johnson's spokespeople did say, however, that the PM was not a guest at the party.
In summary, it has been confirmed by Government sources that both Simon Case and Boris Johnson did not attend the party that the Government sources said didn’t happen…

(I wonder if these "No. 10 spokespeople who seem to have lied albeit unwittingly" were attendees at the party that didn’t happen, as the (non-)party was held at No. 10?)

Chris 08-12-2021 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104774)
I can't argue with that to be honest. If any sort of household mixing were to be introduced I'd like to think i'd go along with it, but if i'm honest I'd just carry on as normal.

There could only really be a fatal blow to Boris from this if he were directly implicated, and (so far at least) he doesn’t appear to be. This further erodes his moral authority as a leader but it isn’t the coup de grace. I actually thought Starmer got a good line in for once, referencing the Queen at Philip’s funeral, but he was working the moral authority line, not trying to claim direct culpability.

There is a larger plan at work here, by well-placed persons unknown, to drip-feed material into the public domain that will eventually fatally undermine Boris even without a smoking gun directly implicating him in something. It’s the death of a thousand cuts, nipping and slicing away until everyone is left wondering why on earth he’s still in charge. At that point someone will challenge him for the leadership.

mrmistoffelees 08-12-2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36104790)
There could only really be a fatal blow to Boris from this if he were directly implicated, and (so far at least) he doesn’t appear to be. This further erodes his moral authority as a leader but it isn’t the coup de grace. I actually thought Starmer got a good line in for once, referencing the Queen at Philip’s funeral, but he was working the moral authority line, not trying to claim direct culpability.

There is a larger plan at work here, by well-placed persons unknown, to drip-feed material into the public domain that will eventually fatally undermine Boris even without a smoking gun directly implicating him in something. It’s the death of a thousand cuts, nipping and slicing away until everyone is left wondering why on earth he’s still in charge. At that point someone will challenge him for the leadership.

I'll give you the queen line, i'd forgotten about that....

Allegra Stratton resigns, the sacrificial lamb?

Chris 08-12-2021 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104791)
I'll give you the queen line, i'd forgotten about that....

Allegra Stratton resigns, the sacrificial lamb?

I think they have no choice but to give her the boot. That recording is absolutely damning. I’m not certain it will draw a line under things though. It’s open season on Boris and his administration now, and every hack in Westminster will be hunting for the next morsel.