Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Phone line with out internet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707276)

i am not scouse 12-01-2019 15:46

Phone line with out internet

Hi advice needed. My sister who speaks to virgin on my dad's behalf phoned them to ask for a phone interview to be installed (he currently only has tv) but she was told he would have to take a superhub/internet as they no longer do just phonelines in his area. Surely this can't be true.he was only after this as he's getting old and needs it for his fall alert. He really doesn't want leave virgin but if true he's going to have to leave.

BenMcr 12-01-2019 16:26

Re: Phone line with out internet

In some areas new home phone installs are now via the Hub based phone service now I believe.

Virgin's aim is that everyone will eventually be moved over to the new phone service, but they can't do that until they stop adding customers on the older phone technology.

Taf 12-01-2019 17:20

Phoneline charge will disappear soon I reckon, and just be lumped-in with all the other charges.

i am not scouse 12-01-2019 18:46

It's still a load of BS on Virgins behalf. He used to have a phone line with them years ago so I know the wires are still there. So why should someone pay for something they are never going to use? He's 74 so has no interest in internet.

djfunkdup 12-01-2019 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am not scouse (Post 35978991)
It's still a load of BS on Virgins behalf. He used to have a phone line with them years ago so I know the wires are still there. So why should someone pay for something they are never going to use? He's 74 so has no interest in internet.

My dads 80 next year and would be lost without the net. :)

BenMcr 12-01-2019 20:06

Quote:

Virgin will move everyone over to the VoIP based phone service eventually in one form or another.

denphone 12-01-2019 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35978968)
Phoneline charge will disappear soon I reckon, and just be lumped-in with all the other charges.

Highly likely l would say but the price won't go down though.

i am not scouse 13-01-2019 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfunkdup (Post 35979002)
My dads 80 next year and would be lost without the net. :)

Horses for courses mate

nodrogd 05-02-2019 15:07

Quote:

Virgins POTS infrastructure is getting to the point where it is no longer maintainable. Its old technology now, so even new connections in existing areas may be VoIP.

Even the BT system is due to phase out POTS in the next 5 -6 years, so whoever you are with a landline phone will become a thing of the past.

Matthew 05-02-2019 17:28

Maybe cheaper to get a line from BT if that is all he is wanting.

jb66 05-02-2019 21:22

You can get a hub3 that has no internet and just has the phone ports activated. I Installed one last week like that

Paul 06-02-2019 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35982185)
Virgins POTS infrastructure is getting to the point where it is no longer maintainable. Its old technology now.

BT switched most of its exchanges to Digital between 1985 and 1995, with most of the larger exchanges using System X or System Y.
I was invloved in many change-overs in the Nottingham & Derby areas. It is old (up to 30 years) but still perfectly maintainable for a few more years.

As far as Im aware, the Nottingham VM exchanges are similar technology (Installed by Diamond/NTL). Like BT, they probably used the same technology in other areas.

I believe BT plans to shut down most of their old digigtal exchanges and switch to VIOP systems over the next 6 to 7 years.
I expect VM to do the same, possibly quicker, since they have far less exchanges.

RichardCoulter 10-02-2019 20:36

I imagine they will all do it sooner or later, so it's pointless changing to another company if you don't want VOIP.