Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   New SkyQ packages (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703469)

S_james 18-08-2016 12:11

New SkyQ packages

Sky's "premium" offering has received refreshed packages.

No more SkyQ Silver, only SkyQ 2tb and SkyQ 1tb also all existing offers now carry over.

So if you have 50% off on your current deal that deal will carry over. There are also free install offers where you pay £30 for the 2tb/1tb box and £30 for your first SkyQ mini box plus your existing 50% off offers. Any other SkyQ minis will cost £99 and the £12 multi room fee has returned. I've took an offer £60 for the 2tb and a mini free install and my current 50% off stands as does my half price fibre unlimited BB plus the new sky q hub.

Check "my offers" in your My Sky section of the Sky.com website.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

http://www.sky.com/shop/sky-bundles

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Also worth mentioning it's now a 12 month contract, not the previous 18month contract.

Bob 19-08-2016 23:18

Re: New SkyQ packages

It's now getting very tempting to upgrade to it, especially since I upgraded to a new UHD TV :)

Paul 20-08-2016 02:03

Desperation setting in ?

I guess the ridiculous prices and contract lengths didnt tempt many people, despite all the hype.

martyh 20-08-2016 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35854867)
Desperation setting in ?

I guess the ridiculous prices and contract lengths didnt tempt many people, despite all the hype.

Yep there was no way i was going to pay the full price and now i'm more annoyed that i didn't wait another week to even more savings .Install today cost £60,18 month contract and £12 per month more .

jb66 20-08-2016 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35854877)
Yep there was no way i was going to pay the full price and now i'm more annoyed that i didn't wait another week to even more savings .Install today cost £60,18 month contract and £12 per month more .

Call up to cancel the install. They will price match

martyh 20-08-2016 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35854886)
Call up to cancel the install. They will price match

I might ring to see if i can get a discount on the install fee which has already been paid but i don't want to cancel the install

martyh 20-08-2016 19:09

That had to be the worst install ever

All that should have been required was a swap of the LNB ,connect the main box and set up then connect the mini box and set up then demonstrate the product .

What actually happened was after swapping the LNB and connecting the main box there was no picture ,engineer tried all settings he could think of but still no picture so went to the van for another box assuming the first was faulty ,this happened twice more eventually the engineer found some HDMI settings that when changed allowed a picture so he packed up the other 2 boxes and returned them to his van .At this point 2 hrs had passed and he noticed that there was satellite signal so he assumed the LNB was faulty and proceeded to change that ,still no signal so he moved the dish to a higher position tested the LNB at the dish and success ,he said there was signal. He then proceeded to connect the cable to the box but no signal so he tested the cable and it said there was a signal but the box said there wasn't so he went back to his van for another box and tried that ,still no signal so he phoned his boss to cancel the rest of his jobs that afternoon ,he then proceeded to change the cable and finally we had a signal .He arrived at my house at 1pm and left at 5:40pm .I don't know if he was just unlucky or his process of elimination to find faults was the problem but it wasn't very good considering we had a perfect sky+HD service when he arrived .

One thing to beware of when having SkyQ installed is to make sure your HDMI settings on Panasonic vierra tv's are set to regular and not enhanced ,this may apply to other models also .I did not even know that setting was available as it's not even in the instruction book .

Also i am a bit confused about the UHD ability .SkyQ is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 ,my tv is HDMI 2.0 4K UHD so what is the difference and what will the best picture quality i can expect from Sky Q .

S_james 20-08-2016 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35854972)
That had to be the worst install ever

All that should have been required was a swap of the LNB ,connect the main box and set up then connect the mini box and set up then demonstrate the product .

What actually happened was after swapping the LNB and connecting the main box there was no picture ,engineer tried all settings he could think of but still no picture so went to the van for another box assuming the first was faulty ,this happened twice more eventually the engineer found some HDMI settings that when changed allowed a picture so he packed up the other 2 boxes and returned them to his van .At this point 2 hrs had passed and he noticed that there was satellite signal so he assumed the LNB was faulty and proceeded to change that ,still no signal so he moved the dish to a higher position tested the LNB at the dish and success ,he said there was signal. He then proceeded to connect the cable to the box but no signal so he tested the cable and it said there was a signal but the box said there wasn't so he went back to his van for another box and tried that ,still no signal so he phoned his boss to cancel the rest of his jobs that afternoon ,he then proceeded to change the cable and finally we had a signal .He arrived at my house at 1pm and left at 5:40pm .I don't know if he was just unlucky or his process of elimination to find faults was the problem but it wasn't very good considering we had a perfect sky+HD service when he arrived .

One thing to beware of when having SkyQ installed is to make sure your HDMI settings on Panasonic vierra tv's are set to regular and not enhanced ,this may apply to other models also .I did not even know that setting was available as it's not even in the instruction book .

Also i am a bit confused about the UHD ability .SkyQ is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 ,my tv is HDMI 2.0 4K UHD so what is the difference and what will the best picture quality i can expect from Sky Q .

Might it have been worth asking such questions BEFORE your install?

Arthurgray50@blu 20-08-2016 23:42

I spoke with a Sky engineer, who was in our road. He said that he dreads installing Sky Q. As they have not had proper training on them. They are a nightmare.

Sky Q has only just started, and it is expensive.

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with there new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

Big problem is on both sets of boxes. VM and Sky want to outdo each other on the style

martyh 21-08-2016 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_james (Post 35854994)
Might it have been worth asking such questions BEFORE your install?

What questions ? what is HDCP2.2 i never heard of it my tv is UHD 4k

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35854997)
I spoke with a Sky engineer, who was in our road. He said that he dreads installing Sky Q. As they have not had proper training on them. They are a nightmare.

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with there new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

Big problem is on both sets of boxes. VM and Sky want to outdo each other on the style

My engineer said they had very little training

Stephen 21-08-2016 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35854997)

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with their new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

of course you did.

Its not expensive at all
I can get a better and cheaper deal for Q than I can with VM and TiVo. Shows that 13 years of loyalty mean nothing.

Bob 21-08-2016 12:10

Turns out it's not quite so simple in a block of flats as permission is needed from the management company to upgrade the dish.

They were happy to start the proceedings but warned I would be starting a new 12 month contract, and even though my current half price offer is coming to an end in October, I might not be able to get further discounts. So I thought I might as well wait until then and negotiate Sky Q and a further discount on my package for the next year.

martyh 21-08-2016 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 35855034)
Turns out it's not quite so simple in a block of flats as permission is needed from the management company to upgrade the dish.

They were happy to start the proceedings but warned I would be starting a new 12 month contract, and even though my current half price offer is coming to an end in October, I might not be able to get further discounts. So I thought I might as well wait until then and negotiate Sky Q and a further discount on my package for the next year.

i would imagine 2 separate dishes would be required one for sky q and one for regular sky

muppetman11 21-08-2016 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35855009)
What questions ? what is HDCP2.2 i never heard of it

HDCP2.2 is the copy protection.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

martyh 21-08-2016 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35855042)
HDCP2.2 is the copy protection.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

Cheers ,apparently this is needed for Q to show UHD content.

I got one question if you could answer it .I am trying to set the recordings for the wife and i set coronation st 7:30pm on monday applied the series link and then checked the epg but only one recording is showing, the 8:30pm showing is not listed in recordings .With the old sky + i could see all planned recordings simply by looking at the epg and you would see all little red 'r's next to the program so i don't know if the 7:30 showing is series linked for the whole week on a daily basis or 7:30 on consecutive weeks