Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

andy_m 08-04-2013 20:02

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

No they didn't, but that was before the rule change.

Chad 08-04-2013 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35558683)
No they didn't, but that was before the rule change.

How long does it take OFCOM to sort these things out? Will it be before BT Sports launches in the Summer? If not, SKY have won already regardless.

andy_m 08-04-2013 20:13

That depends on what you mean by winning. Bt have done a pretty good job of getting free advertising and a negative story about their rival into the national press - I'm sure they're more than happy with their days work.

Chad 08-04-2013 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35558691)
That depends on what you mean by winning. Bt have done a pretty good job of getting free advertising and a negative story about their rival into the national press - I'm sure they're more than happy with their days work.

Very true, round 1 to BT for sure.

This is heating up nicely.

colin25 08-04-2013 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35558693)
Very true, round 1 to BT for sure.

This is heating up nicely.

Yes, but as Den says often "not over until the fat lady sings"

who this fat lady is..and what fascination Den has for her I shudder to think..best left unasked :)

harry_hitch 08-04-2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35558691)

Well said Sir, my thoughts exactly!

andrewbrown 08-04-2013 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35558696)
Yes, but as Den says often "not over until the fat lady sings"

who this fat lady is..and what fascination Den has for her I shudder to think..best left unasked :)

Why am I getting visions of RM playing the part of Jabba the Hutt...:sick:

Chad 08-04-2013 22:21

I know Virgin don't have channels anymore however could you see Virgin running adverts from BT, on the TiVo interface, advertising their broadband or from SKY advertising their TV deals?

Doug P 09-04-2013 11:49

BT still have to get past the problem that their channel will be an extra subscription every month whereas ESPN was not.

It really is too much for me to pay a second sports channel subscription and dropping Sky Sports for BT is a non-starter for me.

passingbat 09-04-2013 11:58

Given that nothing that is shown on BT sports is available on Sky sports, why are Sky complaining? They are not competing services, they are complimentary services with regard to the content shown.

Sky are behaving like big kids, you know the one that want's to take his ball home when things don't suit him. (no pun intended).

TonyM19 09-04-2013 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35558864)
BT still have to get past the problem that their channel will be an extra subscription every month whereas ESPN was not.

It really is too much for me to pay a second sports channel subscription and dropping Sky Sports for BT is a non-starter for me.

+1

OLD BOY 09-04-2013 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35558553)
People will complain...sky bashing is a popular sport for some

Unfortunately, they open themselves up for criticism. Sky have done a tremendous amount for television in this country and I for one am grateful for that. But they have turned out to be the big bullies on the block, and that's what people resent.

They don't seem to understand that the reputation they have made for themselves is preventing some people from even contemplating signing up for Sky services.

One day they might work out that being nice makes commercial sense. :rolleyes:

coulsontom 09-04-2013 13:19

Charles Sale in the Mail today claimed that Sky are delaying their deal with Virgin because they are waiting to make sure that Virgin don't get BT Sport packaged like ESPN.

Is this true? He claimed that the deal needs renewing for next season? (2013/14)

Media Boy UK 09-04-2013 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35558911)
Charles Sale in the Mail today claimed that Sky are delaying their deal with Virgin because they are waiting to make sure that Virgin don't get BT Sport packaged like ESPN.

Is this true? He claimed that the deal needs renewing for next season? (2013/14)

Story link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz2Py6NGymB

nstokes 09-04-2013 14:11

I think Sky have a point. They have not refused to run the ad's but they have said they cant run them on Sky Sports which i think is fair. It like Asda asking Tesco to run ads for its Smart Price items in a Tesco shop. BT are clutching at straws me thinks