Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Raider999 28-10-2017 22:05

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35922221)
Those people are entitled to change if they can get it cheaper elsewhere or at very least ring their current provider and see what they can do.

Indeed they are, however it would be a lot fairer if everyone paid the same price - you should not have to haggle to get a cheaper deal.

When I told Sky I was cancelling and moving to Virgin they said they would try and match the Virgin price to keep me - however they couldn't.

Sky sports cost has increased in the last 18 months despite what a post says and over the years their rights have diluted.

I stick by my earlier post - sky have never ever lowered the standard price of sky sports to reflect the loss of any rights.

muppetman11 28-10-2017 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35922322)
Indeed they are, however it would be a lot fairer if everyone paid the same price - you should not have to haggle to get a cheaper deal.

When I told Sky I was cancelling and moving to Virgin they said they would try and match the Virgin price to keep me - however they couldn't.

Sky sports cost has increased in the last 18 months despite what a post says and over the years their rights have diluted.

I stick by my earlier post - sky have never ever lowered the standard price of sky sports to reflect the loss of any rights.

My Sky Sports charges have decreased , I agreed to an 18 month contract and to keep Sky Sports for that term and now pay £20 a month instead of the £27.50 normal rate. This offer was open to anyone I'm not sure if it still is but they always have offers on.

johnathome 29-10-2017 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewbrown (Post 35922172)
I've just re-subscribed to Sky Sports, so that I can video some of the overnight NFL games, and I appreciate that I didn't pay the extra £7 for HD, but for £31 a month I expect a good SD picture, but it's shockingly awful!

It is isn't it?

I can get an illegal stream in better quality.

OLD BOY 29-10-2017 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35922378)
It is isn't it?

I can get an illegal stream in better quality.

I wouldn't tell the world about that, John, in view of concerns expressed on this forum over prosecutions.

Now it has been established by the courts that streaming pirated content is unlawful, I can see Sky going after culprits big time. They are losing a lot of money through pirating.

OLD BOY 02-11-2017 10:26

BT seem to be indicating that they will not be paying silly money to retain their existing Premiership rights.

This could be the way in for the big players if they want to dip their toes in the water first.

It will be interesting to see who makes the best play for this, but my bets are on Amazon.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-bosses-vo...ue-tv-auction/

BT bosses vow to remain “disciplined” in next Premier League TV rights auction

BT bosses have insisted they won’t get into an open-ended bidding war for the next set of Premier League broadcast rights.

The broadcaster is the contest’s junior rights holder, showing 42 games per season compared to Sky’s 126 matches, and augments its football coverage with exclusive coverage of the Champions and Europa Leagues.

It also holds exclusive UK rights to the Aviva Premiership Rugby, Australian cricket, UFC and, most recently, boxing coverage through its tie-up with Frank Warren’s Boxnation.

BT Sport has been credited with revitalising the firm’s pay-TV platform which has doubled its customer base since 2012, as well as boosting take-up of its fibre broadband packages and cutting customer losses.

The firm’s latest market update confirms that viewing figures across the suite of BT Sport channels is up 8% compared to last year, with Premier League audiences up 2% and those for the Champions League growing by 16% – a boost BT credits to six British teams qualifying for the group stage for the first time since the 2007/08 season.

Asked on Thursday about the role of the Premier League in achieving growth and retention targets, BT CEO Gavin Patterson said the rights “are important” and BT would “undoubtably play a role in the auction,” but insisted the firm would “remain very disciplined” when bidding.

This message was reiterated by Marc Allera, head of BT’s consumer division, who said content was a key way of “to differentiate your offering” from other communications providers but added his team were “clear what price we’re prepared to pay for these rights and we will not pay more.”

Alluding to reports that new bidders, such as Amazon or Netflix, could enter the fray at the next rights auction, Patterson said the firm was “prepared for a scenario…where someone takes us on”.

denphone 02-11-2017 10:54

Perhaps if you go to the end of your book now you will get the answer to what you already know OB.;)

muppetman11 02-11-2017 11:37

What a completely pointless article , what executive is going to come out and say we are prepared to pay whatever.

Mad Max 02-11-2017 13:35

I think OB is getting free deliveries from Amazon.......;)

denphone 02-11-2017 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35922906)
I think OB is getting free deliveries from Amazon.......;)

And good commission as well.;)

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35922885)
What a completely pointless article , what executive is going to come out and say we are prepared to pay whatever.

None.

Media Boy UK 02-11-2017 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35922874)
BT seem to be indicating that they will not be paying silly money to retain their existing Premiership rights.

This could be the way in for the big players if they want to dip their toes in the water first.

It will be interesting to see who makes the best play for this, but my bets are on Amazon.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-bosses-vo...ue-tv-auction/

BT bosses vow to remain “disciplined” in next Premier League TV rights auction

BT bosses have insisted they won’t get into an open-ended bidding war for the next set of Premier League broadcast rights.

The broadcaster is the contest’s junior rights holder, showing 42 games per season compared to Sky’s 126 matches, and augments its football coverage with exclusive coverage of the Champions and Europa Leagues.

It also holds exclusive UK rights to the Aviva Premiership Rugby, Australian cricket, UFC and, most recently, boxing coverage through its tie-up with Frank Warren’s Boxnation.

BT Sport has been credited with revitalising the firm’s pay-TV platform which has doubled its customer base since 2012, as well as boosting take-up of its fibre broadband packages and cutting customer losses.

The firm’s latest market update confirms that viewing figures across the suite of BT Sport channels is up 8% compared to last year, with Premier League audiences up 2% and those for the Champions League growing by 16% – a boost BT credits to six British teams qualifying for the group stage for the first time since the 2007/08 season.

Asked on Thursday about the role of the Premier League in achieving growth and retention targets, BT CEO Gavin Patterson said the rights “are important” and BT would “undoubtably play a role in the auction,” but insisted the firm would “remain very disciplined” when bidding.

This message was reiterated by Marc Allera, head of BT’s consumer division, who said content was a key way of “to differentiate your offering” from other communications providers but added his team were “clear what price we’re prepared to pay for these rights and we will not pay more.”

Alluding to reports that new bidders, such as Amazon or Netflix, could enter the fray at the next rights auction, Patterson said the firm was “prepared for a scenario…where someone takes us on”.

We fell Sky will do an ITV Digital within the next 10 to 20 years if they keep on over paying for the rights to Premier League.

No wonder your team (England) has not win anything since 1966 with all the over pay overseas players.

I would love to see the "Team England" in the Premier League to see where in the top 20 they end up.

OLD BOY 02-11-2017 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35922885)

It's not pointless. It is indicating there is a limit to what they are prepared to pay to retain these rights.

To my mind, they would have been well advised to keep their position on this close to their chests. This is only going to encorage Amazon, Disney, Discovery and the like to test the waters. However, my view is that we could do far worse than seeing global streaming companies taking over, and in the long run, this will be the best arrangement for the punters.

muppetman11 02-11-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35922931)
It's not pointless. It is indicating there is a limit to what they are prepared to pay to retain these rights.

To my mind, they would have been well advised to keep their position on this close to their chests. This is only going to encorage Amazon, Disney, Discovery and the like to test the waters. However, my view is that we could do far worse than seeing global streaming companies taking over, and in the long run, this will be the best arrangement for the punters.

It's pretty damn obvious every company has a limit to what it's prepared to pay.

American companies doing British Sport can't wait !!!!!

denphone 02-11-2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35922932)
It's pretty damn obvious every company has a limit to what it's prepared to pay.

Not a chance!!!! but don't tell OB that..

OLD BOY 02-11-2017 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35922932)

In the context of the announcement, the indication was that they were not going to die in a ditch to get what they wanted. It was designed I think to keep expectations down because there is a real possibility they may lose these rights either this or next time around.

As for Americans doing sport - I am sure they will use British commentators!

muppetman11 02-11-2017 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35922982)
In the context of the announcement, the indication was that they were not going to die in a ditch to get what they wanted. It was designed I think to keep expectations down because there is a real possibility they may lose these rights either this or next time around.

As for Americans doing sport - I am sure they will use British commentators!

You literally believe everything you read don't you :D