Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

OLD BOY 17-10-2017 19:52

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35920568)
Well you believed Amazon were going to bid and win the Premier league rights so what's different.;)

I gave links to sources, Den, that's all. Gavin's links are to tweets that put forward questions that Virgin are not in a position to answer, and then a story is conjured up as to why they won't answer the question.

There is a world of difference between the two, Den, and I am positive that you can see that.

Mad Max 20-10-2017 20:54

This might be in the wrong thread but here goes, I've been watching the West Ham V Brighton game on Sky Sports tonight, and for the life of me I cannot understand why Jamie Carragher is a co commentator on this, and in fact, any game, no disrespect to anyone from Liverpool, or anyone with a regional accent, but this guys voice is so guttural it's almost brain damaging, I had to turn the sound down it was so bad.......

denphone 20-10-2017 21:15

For once MM l agree with you.:eeek::Yikes:

Raider999 21-10-2017 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35921068)
This might be in the wrong thread but here goes, I've been watching the West Ham V Brighton game on Sky Sports tonight, and for the life of me I cannot understand why Jamie Carragher is a co commentator on this, and in fact, any game, no disrespect to anyone from Liverpool, or anyone with a regional accent, but this guys voice is so guttural it's almost brain damaging, I had to turn the sound down it was so bad.......

Rather have Carragher than the irritating woman (Taylor?) who was on a NZ mitre cup rugby game a week or so ago. The main commentators kept referring to her every time a substitute was made, at which point she felt it necessary to give the new player's life history in a squeaky voice at about 300 words per minute - totally over the top, presumably because of political correctness:(

Mad Max 21-10-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35921171)
Rather have Carragher than the irritating woman (Taylor?) who was on a NZ mitre cup rugby game a week or so ago. The main commentators kept referring to her every time a substitute was made, at which point she felt it necessary to give the new player's life history in a squeaky voice at about 300 words per minute - totally over the top, presumably because of political correctness:(

I hear your pain mate, this will be controversial, but I wouldn't have women involved in men's sport...................:D

OLD BOY 22-10-2017 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35921265)
I hear your pain mate, this will be controversial, but I wouldn't have women involved in men's sport...................:D

Ooh, Max - steady, mate!

figgyburn 22-10-2017 08:04

Politically correct eye candy.No more,no less.
Apart from Claire balding obviously.😱

Raider999 22-10-2017 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35921294)
Politically correct eye candy.No more,no less.
Apart from Claire balding obviously.😱

That may have been the case, however I cannot recall actually seeing her on the screen - just hearing her (bit like a squeaky voice played at 3x speed)

It is possible she made a visual appearance before play started or at half-time but as I always FF to the kick-off I wouldn't know.

Gavin-D 22-10-2017 10:34

Quote:

Virgin Media customers’ top complaint was price, following a number of recent price hikes. Slow broadband speeds were another most common complaint amongst broadband providers, Which? has revealed.

The survey discovered that among the 53 per cent of households who had difficulties with their broadband, customers of Virgin Media (61 per cent), TalkTalk (60 per cent), Sky (56 per cent) and BT (54 per cent) were most likely to experience an issue.

Virgin customers' top complaint was price increases (38 per cent), while 33 per cent of Talk Talk customers and 22 per cent of BT customers suffered "very slow" broadband speeds
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...nnection-Speed

1andrew1 22-10-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920561)
That means nothing on its own, Gavin. Since when has VM given advance notice of channels before a deal has been signed? Do you not remember all the chatter that went on before the original BT wholesale deal was announced? We didn't get confirmation until right up to the day it was broadcast!

Expect a lot of speculation until the deal is announced, and believe none of it in the meantime!

I totally agree with you. These things are kept tightly-guarded secrets known only to one or two people.
My own view is that BT is in a spot of bother now. If you read the many press reports it's looking to sell some overseas IT consulting subsidiaries after ten years of fraud was discovered in its Italian subsidiary! BT needs to take fewer risks now and it needs VM's cheque to pay for the Premier League rights. With VM expanding its network, it's arguably in a stronger position than at the last time the two of them sat around the negotiating table.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920573)
I gave links to sources, Den, that's all. Gavin's links are to tweets that put forward questions that Virgin are not in a position to answer, and then a story is conjured up as to why they won't answer the question.

There is a world of difference between the two, Den, and I am positive that you can see that.

Agreed. There was also an article a month or so back that said that Amazon had been in talks with VM and VM's management were keen on the deal but the parent company (Liberty Global International) over-ruled them as they felt Amazon was a long-term strategic threat. And before that, I think someone reported Amazon testing on VM too.
Certainly, there was more evidence for Amazon arriving than BT Sport leaving!

denphone 22-10-2017 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35921326)
I totally agree with you. These things are kept tightly-guarded secrets known only to one or two people.
My own view is that BT is in a spot of bother now. If you read the many press reports it's looking to sell some overseas IT consulting subsidiaries after ten years of fraud was discovered in its Italian subsidiary! BT needs to take fewer risks now and it needs VM's cheque to pay for the Premier League rights. With VM expanding its network, it's arguably in a stronger position than at the last time the two of them sat around the negotiating table.

You have been listening to that wise old sage too much again Andrew.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35921326)
Agreed. There was also an article a month or so back that said that Amazon had been in talks with VM and VM's management were keen on the deal but the parent company (Liberty Global International) over-ruled them as they felt Amazon was a long-term strategic threat. And before that, I think someone reported Amazon testing on VM too.
Certainly, there was more evidence for Amazon arriving than BT Sport leaving!

If''s , but's and maybe's Andrew.

1andrew1 22-10-2017 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35921338)
You have been listening to that wise old sage too much again Andrew.

Hard not to when you read stuff like this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...ndal-year.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-top-investor/

denphone 22-10-2017 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35921340)

Were the media not saying the same about Sky not that long ago as you must remember when one reads a story there is generally a lot of hyperbole attached to them..

denphone 27-10-2017 12:40

BT Sport raises prices for Sky and TalkTalk customers.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-sport-rai...alk-customers/

OLD BOY 27-10-2017 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922073)
BT Sport raises prices for Sky and TalkTalk customers.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-sport-rai...alk-customers/

The fact that BT might be holding out for more money from VM as well might put us in a good position to have the AMC channel added as part of the wholesale arrangements.

Fingers crossed, anyway, I'd like to have that channel. I'd trade that for Sky One any day.