Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

muppetman11 18-10-2012 14:45

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35486332)
It started as NASN at £10 a month. ESPN then took it over and improved the picture quality dramatically. However, in those days they had NHL. For me the loss of NHL is a major thing that will probably stop me from signing up to a stand alone pay channel. They will not be getting it back any time soon as Premier Sports signed I believe a three year deal in the summer.

I would gladly pay for ESPN America as a standalone channel however we need to see some NFL and the NHL back on.

The Yank 21-10-2012 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35486364)
I would gladly pay for ESPN America as a standalone channel however we need to see some NFL and the NHL back on.

I would definitely WANT ESPN America but if I had to pay extra for it I would need to seriously reevaluate my services ie VM or SKY as I am already paying a fortune on VIP50. It will come down to who gives me the best deal I'm afraid.

I am feeling less and less loyal to VM lately with there seeming constant price rises, lack of descent new content and above all the promise of doubling my BB speed which has been put back at least twice already.

Chad 21-10-2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35487180)
I am feeling less and less loyal to VM lately with there seeming constant price rises, lack of descent new content and above all the promise of doubling my BB speed which has been put back at least twice already.

Join the queue!

There seems to be a growing sense that Virgin are not delivering on their promises, and are selling us well short.

denphone 21-10-2012 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35487191)
Join the queue!

There seems to be a growing sense that Virgin are not delivering on their promises, and are selling us well short.

Well lets wait until the end of the year before we start coming to conclusions but yes its been a poor year of deliverance by Virgin so far.

passingbat 21-10-2012 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35487180)
I would definitely WANT ESPN America but if I had to pay extra for it I would need to seriously reevaluate my services ie VM or SKY as I am already paying a fortune on VIP50. It will come down to who gives me the best deal I'm afraid.

Quote:

Join the queue!

For some reason I can't remember now, I ended up on the Sky website yesterday, and whilst i was there, out of interest, I thought I'd price up the services I get from VM on Sky. I have no Sky Movies or sports, so priced up for Sky Entertainment Extra, Fibre BB, HD, two set top boxes, phone line and 24/7 phone calls which is what I have on VM.

The monthly charge would have been £18 more than I pay VM.

For that £18, I would have got Sky Atlantic and a couple of other channels that I watch in HD. I would also have got ITV, 2, 3, 4, in HD, and of those, I only watch a little on ITV2 and given that 5.1 audio is missing and I find the SD picture quite good, that's hardly an incentive.

But I would also lose the three recordable tuners, whishlists, and other Tivo functionality if I moved to Sky.

So at £18 extra for Sky with not a lot of extra value for me (except Atlantic) but a lot to lose fromVM, staying with VM, for me is a 'no brainer'.

Doug P 22-10-2012 13:26

Quote:

Join the queue!

Only on Forums though imo....

denphone 22-10-2012 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35487544)
Only on Forums though imo....

Granted that people do tend to moan considerably on forums like CF and DS but Virgin Media would be unwise to ignore discontent and unhappyness as there are many people people who use other means to voice their discontent and as the old saying its better to listen to people rather then stick your head in the sand like a ostrich.

Doug P 24-10-2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35487550)
Granted that people do tend to moan considerably on forums like CF and DS but Virgin Media would be unwise to ignore discontent and unhappyness as there are many people people who use other means to voice their discontent and as the old saying its better to listen to people rather then stick your head in the sand like a ostrich.

Yes Denphone what you says is true but am merely pointing out what I call the Electoral Reform Vote Syndrome...

If you read twitter when the country went to the polls over whether to change the electoral system there was huge support for scrapping first past the post of well over 85 per cent. In the actual vote the actual people rejected it in huge numbers....

Everyone on here is entitled to be unhappy if they feel they are not getting what they want but a policy must be for making the overwhelming majority of customers happy... are forum users representative of that overwhelming majority?

Perhaps we are?!

Chad 24-10-2012 22:51

BT Vision to feature on Watchdog next week.

Anne Robinson:

"BT Vision are tempting new subscribers with its Premiership football deal, so why do existing subscribers want to give it the boot?"

muppetman11 28-10-2012 18:48

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ts-rights.html

Quote:

BT has bolstered its plan to become a heavyweight sports broadcaster with a slew of deals to show live matches from top-tier international football leagues.

The telecoms giant, which shocked rivals in June with a £738m gamble on Premier League football, has struck deals for “hundreds” of live matches from Serie A in Italy, Ligue 1 in France and Brasileirao in Brazil.

It has also secured live rights to Major League Soccer games in the US, where David Beckham plays for LA Galaxy and Thierry Henry plays for the New York Red Bulls. BT will use the matches to help beef up a new sports channel that will be launched next summer.

andy_m 28-10-2012 18:52

Right well that's definitely the end of ESPN then. Things are slowly taking shape.

denphone 28-10-2012 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35489922)

Throwing a lot of money around is one thing but making a impact is another and we shall see what transpires in the coming next year or two.

Dave42 28-10-2012 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35489933)
Throwing a lot of money around is one thing but making a impact is another and we shall see what transpires in the coming next year or two.

exactly Den cant see many going from sky to bt if any

thenry 28-10-2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35489924)
Right well that's definitely the end of ESPN then. Things are slowly taking shape.

strange. i swear i heard ESPN brought more rights to Ligue1, Serie A, Budesliga etc. which they were going to focus on. this was said prior to the sell so may be it was a plot to sell ESPN as a whole rather than having plans to carry without the EPL. will they share euro fixtures or is ESPN going to sell it off to BT :confused:

Chad 28-10-2012 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35489939)
strange. i swear i heard ESPN brought more rights to Ligue1, Serie A, Budesliga etc. which they were going to focus on. this was said prior to the sell so may be it was a plot to sell ESPN as a whole rather than having plans to carry without the EPL. will they share euro fixtures or is ESPN going to sell it off to BT :confused:

I did read the same thing too.

Doesn't the ESPN FA Cup deal expire in summer 2013? Wonder what will happen with their deal for Europa League football?

As a Scottish football fan I wonder what the future holds for Scottish football. ESPN just signed a brand new deal:

"The Clydesdale Bank Premier League and Irn Bru Scottish Football League are back on ESPN. With the new multi-year deal for rights to Scottish football through to 2017; ESPN is the home of Scottish football. For 2012/13, get ready for 40 live and exclusive matches, including 10 Rangers games from the Irn Bru Scottish Football League – more than ever before and ten more than in previous seasons"