Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33690400)

Maggy 08-11-2012 13:36

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494380)
There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.

Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

Stephen 08-11-2012 14:48

Have to disagree Maggy. There is still a lot of entertaining movies out there. Maybe not to suit you but I've enjoyed a lot of recent releases.

Pierre 08-11-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494385)
Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

Maggy 08-11-2012 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494407)
The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

I'm right, you're wrong but then we are both entitled to our viewpoint..:p:

All I know is I went to the cinema far more often in the past than I do now.I also don't buy or rent them anymore.So that tells me something that maybe I'm a bit more discerning than most.Frankly it's practically all remakes of remakes or reboots or just CGI stuffed crap at present.

And the next age related reference gets you a poke in the eye.:PP:

Will21st 08-11-2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494367)
So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.

Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494407)

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Maggy 08-11-2012 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35494461)
Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Damien 08-11-2012 18:22

Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

Will21st 08-11-2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494467)
Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Ok,what Brad Pitt is saying is that the earnings aren't as front-loaded as they used to be. I think that's a good model though. The earning potentials are still vast and I'd suggest they are higher than they once were if you're willing to take very little upfront and have a higher share in the back-end....

Nothing wrong with the risk being shared more equally,I think it's a more sustainable business model than the Star taking $20 million up-front and when the film bombs the blame falls solely on them.

Takes weight off their shoulders,too.

Anyway,if you feel that there aren't any good films out there than that's fine. May I ask how many films you've actually seen in the last few years? Korean Cinema? Scandinavian Cinema? French? Indonesian? Great films from all sorts of countries. :)

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion,Maggie,but neither am I or anyone who believes cinema is still great. :)

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35494480)
snip

Great post and 100% agreed! :clap: :)

Hugh 08-11-2012 22:16

Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

Will21st 08-11-2012 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35494561)
Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Paul 09-11-2012 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494385)

In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

denphone 09-11-2012 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35494565)
The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Same here l am afraid but its nice that we all have differing opinions about things.:)

Stuart 09-11-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35494480)
Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

You are right. Hollywod does actually use the money from the blockbusters and other more mainstream films to finance smaller, more risky films. This is the way that (AFAIK) Hollywood has always operated, and, IMO, the way our film industry should be operating. Without the big Disney cartons, we would not have had (for instance) any Quentin Tarentino film.

I think the problem is with Multiplexes. While they can be amazing places to watch films, there have been times when I have had to wait for a smaller, indie film that I've wanted to see to come to DVD or Blu Ray because all my local multiplexes have dedicated half their screens to 24 hour showings of the latest Harry Potter or Twilight film and my local indie cinema is devoting increasing amounts of time to showing mainstream films.

Not that I have any objection to mainstream cinema. Far from it. I love the big blockbusters, but I'd like a little more freedom to go and see something that doesn't have a budget in the tens or hundreds of millions.

Talking of films that have budgets in the hundreds of millions.. It will certainly be interesting to see the new SW movies. I might even bother to go and see the remaining 3d conversions now (never got round to Phantom Menace 3D).

Tezcatlipoca 09-11-2012 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35494636)
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".

Chris 09-11-2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35494703)
In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

No. He'd already done the whole trilogy thing with Henry VI. Then he added a 4th instalment (Richard III). And then followed up Henry IV with Henry IV part ii.

Apart from that, no, William Shakespeare really didn't go in for sequels. :D