Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33690400)

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 13:34

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491291)
I'd say this is the best that could've happened to the Star Wars franchise.

Disney knows how to retain character's integrities,they know merchandise,they have experience with franchises and have the financial clout to take SW to the next level.
Having secured the rights to George's outlines for Episodes 7-9 is also very good news.Lucas staying on as a creative consultant means that these news instalments will feel like SW movies.

Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :D

I will also predict right now that 2015 will break all BO records:

Star Wars Episode 7 3D :shocked:
Avengers 2 3D :shocked:

The year the Box Office exploded. :D

way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

Will21st 01-11-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491296)
way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

Will21st 01-11-2012 18:32

and as if he wasn't a Giant amongst Men already:

http://collider.com/george-lucas-luc...harity/207790/

what an amazing guy. George,I salute you! :) :clap:

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491301)
well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Will21st 01-11-2012 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491422)
but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

Tezcatlipoca 01-11-2012 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491291)
Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :

Star Wars and Avatar have nothing to do with SyFy ;)

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491424)
Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35491450)

Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

Kabaal 01-11-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35491450)

A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491460)
Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491453)
but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind.

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35491462)
A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Haha,I like it. :)

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491465)
Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491467)
But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

Hugh 08-11-2012 08:23

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/11/38.jpg

Maggy 08-11-2012 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491477)
Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.

Pierre 08-11-2012 11:41

There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.