Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33690400)

denphone 30-10-2012 20:22

Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Media giant Disney has purchased movie and TV production house Lucasfilm for $4.05B in cash and stock. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga. Lucasfilm founder George Lucas will act as a creative consultant for the next film.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/...ash-and-stock/

:hyper::hyper:

Hom3r 30-10-2012 20:28

re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

http://news.sky.com/story/1004857/di...s-film-company

Jameseh 30-10-2012 20:34

Disney have done well with Marvel and The Avengers so hopefully they will do as well with Star Wars.

Will21st 30-10-2012 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35490584)
Media giant Disney has purchased movie and TV production house Lucasfilm for $4.05B in cash and stock. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga. Lucasfilm founder George Lucas will act as a creative consultant for the next film.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/...ash-and-stock/

:hyper::hyper:

That new films were coming hasn't really been news for a while now,but Disney buying Lucasfilm.... wow :shocked:

I guess this mean we will get a new 3D Star Wars movie and Avatar 2 3D in 2015!! :shocked:
What a year that is going to be!

Tezcatlipoca 30-10-2012 21:01

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

This is (potentially) awesome news :)

More Star Wars films... without George to mess them up! :D

tizmeinnit 30-10-2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35490613)

I dunno how I feel about this. The fact its Disney means it will not be dark gritty and bloody which is what I really want to see from a new Star Wars movie

denphone 30-10-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490622)
I dunno how I feel about this. The fact its Disney means it will not be dark gritty and bloody which is what I really want to see from a new Star Wars movie

Yes it will be interesting on how that go about doing these further films and what possible new characters we will possibly see.

Will21st 30-10-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35490613)

Well,he is staying on as a creative consultant :p:

v0id 30-10-2012 21:24

Quote:

All 6 Star Wars films films were rated U by the BBFC. Are you expecting Disney to change that?

tizmeinnit 30-10-2012 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35490634)
All 6 Star Wars films films were rated U by the BBFC. Are you expecting Disney to change that?

No if you read my post properly I clearly state Disney will not provide the movie I want

Oh and btw revenge of the sith was a 12 ;)

oh deary me 1 and 2 were PG

Maggy 30-10-2012 21:52

I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

I want something NEW. And thank heavens there was NEVER a Blade Runner 2...

ThunderPants73 30-10-2012 21:54

The three 'new' SW films were dire. Why make more? The originals have never been, and never will be improved upon.

Stuart 30-10-2012 21:58

Quote:

You ever seen Pulp Fiction? That was technically a Disney movie as Disney owned Miramax (the studio that produced Pulp Fiction) when it was produced.

Disney apparently have a rule. They will only produce family friendly films under the Disney name (to protect the image) but subsidiary studios are free to produce films in whatever genre they want.

tizmeinnit 30-10-2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35490661)
You ever seen Pulp Fiction? That was technically a Disney movie as Disney owned Miramax (the studio that produced Pulp Fiction) when it was produced.

Disney apparently have a rule. They will only produce family friendly films under the Disney name (to protect the image) but subsidiary studios are free to produce films in whatever genre they want.

Do you honestly think they will make a grown up Star Wars? I doubt it but I hope they do

dilli-theclaw 30-10-2012 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35490657)
I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

Yet . Blade runner two is in development.

Hugh 30-10-2012 22:03

Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer

tizmeinnit 30-10-2012 22:04

Quote:

The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2

Maggy 30-10-2012 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35490666)
Yet . Blade runner two is in development.

At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490670)
The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2

The science was crap and so were the books.:p:

tizmeinnit 30-10-2012 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35490671)
At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

The science was crap and so were the books.:p:

Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book

Maggy 30-10-2012 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490673)
Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book

The book is nothing like the film.But then Minority Report and Total Recall are nothing like the books.

Stuart 30-10-2012 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490664)
Do you honestly think they will make a grown up Star Wars? I doubt it but I hope they do

TBH, I don't think they will. I was just making the point that Disney don't necessarily make family friendly films.

Tezcatlipoca 31-10-2012 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35490627)
Well,he is staying on as a creative consultant :p:

So long as he is not writing or directing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35490660)
The three 'new' SW films were dire. Why make more? The originals have never been, and never will be improved upon.

The three prequels were dire because Lucas did it all himself, with shoddy writing and excessive CGI.

I read a while back that his ex-wife was allegedly an important part of the original trilogy, as she provided a reality check of sorts. With her gone when the prequels were made, and with Lucas writing and directing all three himself instead of letting others be involved, there was no one there anymore to say "Actually, George, that's a really stupid idea...".

Why make more? Money, of course ;) It's a ridiculously enormous franchise.

Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.

I can't see them being as bad as the prequels, though.

I actually have faith in Disney for these, given how well it has handled the Marvel franchise. Just a pity Joss Whedon will be tied up with The Avengers... I'd love a Whedonised Star Wars...

Plenty of other directors though who I think could give it a good shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35490669)
Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer

Good list :tu:

I'd also add Looper.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

Oh, and something I mentioned elsewhere earlier... I would really *love* it if this meant that we may finally get the *Original* trilogy on Blu-ray. I can dream...

denphone 31-10-2012 05:23

Quote:

Don't bet on it Maggy because as several posters have said anything that can make a fast buck is vulnerable to either a prequel, sequel or remake these days.:)

Mr_love_monkey 31-10-2012 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35490634)

No they weren't.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Ep...665901&sr=8-10

Pierre 31-10-2012 08:17

Quote:

What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

I look forward to the new films.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490673)

Unicorn?

tizmeinnit 31-10-2012 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35490738)
What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

Unicorn?

I disagree they were family movies

The Unicorn left by Gaff was pointed out to me last night and also the collection of photos he had collected. I think I lost focus thinking to much about Rachael and if she had a fixed lifespan or not the Unicorn was lost on me

Maggy 31-10-2012 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35490738)

Unicorn?

As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.:rolleyes:

Pierre 31-10-2012 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35490741)
I disagree they were family movies

Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/re...apter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35490743)
As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.:rolleyes:

Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.

Chris 31-10-2012 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35490703)
Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.

Paramount gave Gene Roddenberry an executive position which AFAIK he held throughout production of all the movies and Next Gen TV episodes until he died. He seems to have spent a lot of time firing off angry memos about how they were ruining the franchise. Paramount seems to have spent a lot of time ignoring him.

If Disney does likewise with George they won't go far wrong.

Maggy 31-10-2012 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35490745)
Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/re...apter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.

No it isn't.I'm entirely correct to raise my dislike of the way Hollywood handles SF films in a thread about how yet again the film companies are screwing over a franchise that should have died a death years ago.:rolleyes:

Hugh 31-10-2012 09:38

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Pierre 31-10-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35490758)
No it isn't.I'm entirely correct to raise my dislike of the way Hollywood handles SF films in a thread about how yet again the film companies are screwing over a franchise that should have died a death years ago.:rolleyes:

You might as well be complaining that The Goonies isn't adult enough.

tizmeinnit 31-10-2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35490774)

Stolen for Facebook lol

Stuart 31-10-2012 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35490754)
Paramount gave Gene Roddenberry an executive position which AFAIK he held throughout production of all the movies and Next Gen TV episodes until he died. He seems to have spent a lot of time firing off angry memos about how they were ruining the franchise. Paramount seems to have spent a lot of time ignoring him.

If Disney does likewise with George they won't go far wrong.

I remember reading that part of the problem was that, according to one executive at least, every time Gene submitted a potential story, it ended up with Kirk on a grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963.

Maggy 31-10-2012 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35490775)
You might as well be complaining that The Goonies isn't adult enough.

There is no chance of having an adult discussion with you.. So I shan't bother any further.:rolleyes:

Anonymouse 31-10-2012 14:47

This news is somewhat unbelievable. I'm not sure it's good news or not.

For one thing, the saga is essentially over. Both Luke's and Anakin's journeys are complete; what more is there to tell? Unless they're going to adapt one or more of the novels, or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!

Hugh 31-10-2012 15:06

The original third trilogy (7,8,9) was to be set after the events of 4,5,6 (first three films made).

Pierre 31-10-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35490940)
The original third trilogy (7,8,9) was to be set after the events of 4,5,6 (first three films made).

Amazing!!!!!!!

You mean in chronological order?

How did they ever come up with something as game changing as that?

Thanks for the heads up!

Hugh 31-10-2012 19:27

Well, since the previous poster said
Quote:

......,or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!
Context is all - but thanks for the subtle irony....

Hom3r 31-10-2012 22:16

Saw this on George Takei's facebook page :D

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Epic Fail

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35490934)
This news is somewhat unbelievable. I'm not sure it's good news or not.

For one thing, the saga is essentially over. Both Luke's and Anakin's journeys are complete; what more is there to tell? Unless they're going to adapt one or more of the novels, or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!

Luke story hadn't finished, he could go on to train more Jedi.

Han & Leah have kids

Stephen 31-10-2012 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35491090)
Saw this on George Takei's facebook page :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...78368518_n.jpg

Epic Fail

It's not a fail at all. It's a t-shirt to buy. Deliberately to wind up fans.

Taf 01-11-2012 10:39

With Disney buying Star Wars, Donald Duck will now have four nephews. Huey, Louie, Dewey and Chewie.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

In the new Disney Star Wars the baddies will waddle and talk with a lisp.

They've gone over to the Duck side.

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35491220)
With Disney buying Star Wars, Donald Duck will now have four nephews. Huey, Louie, Dewey and Chewie.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

In the new Disney Star Wars the baddies will waddle and talk with a lisp.

They've gone over to the Duck side.

Now you are taking the Mickey

Kymmy 01-11-2012 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35491090)
/COLOR]

Luke story hadn't finished, he could go on to train more Jedi.

Han & Leah have kids

Next you'll be suggesting that one of those kids turns out to be a sith and gets killed by the other..

Yep I'm a big fan of the star wars novels (currently reading Mercy Kill) and first thing in my head when I heard the news was which book sequence will they follow? If they went for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion spread over 3 films then they could use the original actors as they'd all be about the right age ;) (not gonna imagine though how many kids would be in tears when one of the main fluffy characters gets killed)

Talking of kids and Star wars I was 8 when the original film came out and I remember sat there in a cinema in South Africa staring at this wonderful universe unfolding.. I think it shaped my film choices over the years and although in the late 90's Ep1 was dreadful and the series was only slightly redeemed by Ep2 it did eventually get back on track with the 3rd film.

I'm looking forward to what they may come up with

Will21st 01-11-2012 13:28

I'd say this is the best that could've happened to the Star Wars franchise.

Disney knows how to retain character's integrities,they know merchandise,they have experience with franchises and have the financial clout to take SW to the next level.
Having secured the rights to George's outlines for Episodes 7-9 is also very good news.Lucas staying on as a creative consultant means that these news instalments will feel like SW movies.

Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :D

I will also predict right now that 2015 will break all BO records:

Star Wars Episode 7 3D :shocked:
Avengers 2 3D :shocked:

The year the Box Office exploded. :D

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491291)
I'd say this is the best that could've happened to the Star Wars franchise.

Disney knows how to retain character's integrities,they know merchandise,they have experience with franchises and have the financial clout to take SW to the next level.
Having secured the rights to George's outlines for Episodes 7-9 is also very good news.Lucas staying on as a creative consultant means that these news instalments will feel like SW movies.

Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :D

I will also predict right now that 2015 will break all BO records:

Star Wars Episode 7 3D :shocked:
Avengers 2 3D :shocked:

The year the Box Office exploded. :D

way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

Will21st 01-11-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491296)
way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

Will21st 01-11-2012 18:32

and as if he wasn't a Giant amongst Men already:

http://collider.com/george-lucas-luc...harity/207790/

what an amazing guy. George,I salute you! :) :clap:

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491301)
well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Will21st 01-11-2012 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491422)
but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

Tezcatlipoca 01-11-2012 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491291)
Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :

Star Wars and Avatar have nothing to do with SyFy ;)

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491424)
Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35491450)

Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

Kabaal 01-11-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35491450)

A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491460)
Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491453)
but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind.

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35491462)
A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Haha,I like it. :)

tizmeinnit 01-11-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491465)
Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Will21st 01-11-2012 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35491467)
But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

Hugh 08-11-2012 08:23

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/11/38.jpg

Maggy 08-11-2012 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35491477)
Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.

Pierre 08-11-2012 11:41

There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.

Maggy 08-11-2012 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494380)
There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.

Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

Stephen 08-11-2012 13:48

Have to disagree Maggy. There is still a lot of entertaining movies out there. Maybe not to suit you but I've enjoyed a lot of recent releases.

Pierre 08-11-2012 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494385)
Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

Maggy 08-11-2012 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494407)
The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

I'm right, you're wrong but then we are both entitled to our viewpoint..:p:

All I know is I went to the cinema far more often in the past than I do now.I also don't buy or rent them anymore.So that tells me something that maybe I'm a bit more discerning than most.Frankly it's practically all remakes of remakes or reboots or just CGI stuffed crap at present.

And the next age related reference gets you a poke in the eye.:PP:

Will21st 08-11-2012 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494367)
So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.

Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35494407)

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Maggy 08-11-2012 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35494461)
Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Damien 08-11-2012 17:22

Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

Will21st 08-11-2012 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494467)
Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Ok,what Brad Pitt is saying is that the earnings aren't as front-loaded as they used to be. I think that's a good model though. The earning potentials are still vast and I'd suggest they are higher than they once were if you're willing to take very little upfront and have a higher share in the back-end....

Nothing wrong with the risk being shared more equally,I think it's a more sustainable business model than the Star taking $20 million up-front and when the film bombs the blame falls solely on them.

Takes weight off their shoulders,too.

Anyway,if you feel that there aren't any good films out there than that's fine. May I ask how many films you've actually seen in the last few years? Korean Cinema? Scandinavian Cinema? French? Indonesian? Great films from all sorts of countries. :)

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion,Maggie,but neither am I or anyone who believes cinema is still great. :)

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35494480)
snip

Great post and 100% agreed! :clap: :)

Hugh 08-11-2012 21:16

Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

Will21st 08-11-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35494561)
Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Paul 09-11-2012 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35494385)

In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

denphone 09-11-2012 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will21st (Post 35494565)
The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Same here l am afraid but its nice that we all have differing opinions about things.:)

Stuart 09-11-2012 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35494480)
Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

You are right. Hollywod does actually use the money from the blockbusters and other more mainstream films to finance smaller, more risky films. This is the way that (AFAIK) Hollywood has always operated, and, IMO, the way our film industry should be operating. Without the big Disney cartons, we would not have had (for instance) any Quentin Tarentino film.

I think the problem is with Multiplexes. While they can be amazing places to watch films, there have been times when I have had to wait for a smaller, indie film that I've wanted to see to come to DVD or Blu Ray because all my local multiplexes have dedicated half their screens to 24 hour showings of the latest Harry Potter or Twilight film and my local indie cinema is devoting increasing amounts of time to showing mainstream films.

Not that I have any objection to mainstream cinema. Far from it. I love the big blockbusters, but I'd like a little more freedom to go and see something that doesn't have a budget in the tens or hundreds of millions.

Talking of films that have budgets in the hundreds of millions.. It will certainly be interesting to see the new SW movies. I might even bother to go and see the remaining 3d conversions now (never got round to Phantom Menace 3D).

Tezcatlipoca 09-11-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35494636)
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".

Chris 09-11-2012 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35494703)
In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

No. He'd already done the whole trilogy thing with Henry VI. Then he added a 4th instalment (Richard III). And then followed up Henry IV with Henry IV part ii.

Apart from that, no, William Shakespeare really didn't go in for sequels. :D

Stuart 09-11-2012 16:37

Good point. Thankfully I can hide behind the fact I have never studied Shakespeare.

Maggy 09-11-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35494786)
Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".

Sorry Matt but apart from Skyfall none of those appeal to me..They are fine for you because that's where your interests lie but not for me.

I apologies for not liking what everybody else likes..But at least I can save my money.

Did anyone like Tinker,Tailor,Spy BTW?

Will21st 21-11-2012 03:54

Great news:

Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have signed as producers/writers for Episodes 8 and 9. Great choices!

http://collider.com/star-wars-8-9-la...inberg/212711/

Kasdan co-wrote Episode 5/6 and also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kinberg is a British Writer who penned X-men:Last Stand,Jumper and Sherlock Holmes. Combining his and Kasdan's sensibilities should make for a great mix. :)

Seems to me Disney,Lucas,Kennedy et al. are making all the right choices. Can't wait for this! :nworthy:

denphone 19-12-2012 18:28

Star Wars Episode VII – is Yavin 4 storyline fact or fiction?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...in-4-storyline

Is there any truth to this?.

Chris 19-12-2012 19:33

Unlikely.

I can't see Disney having its thunder stolen by allowing its production team to wholesale borrow plotlines from the original Starwars universe novels that followed the film series. They're going to want to have something original to surprise people with.

denphone 19-12-2012 19:48

Yes it will be very interesting when they do reveal everything to us.:hyper:

Will21st 19-12-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35514178)
Unlikely.

I can't see Disney having its thunder stolen by allowing its production team to wholesale borrow plotlines from the original Starwars universe novels that followed the film series. They're going to want to have something original to surprise people with.

Yup,I can't see them using plots from the novels.... it needs to be something original.

denphone 25-01-2013 12:16

Abrams to helm Star Wars?

http://skymovies.sky.com/abrams-to-helm-star-wars

Would be a excellent choice.

Tezcatlipoca 25-01-2013 13:42

"That's no moon, it's lens flare..."

Damien 25-01-2013 13:45

I've heard the reboot will focus a lot more on action aboard the Enterprise rather than the planets or the death star.

Hugh 25-01-2013 14:19

Apparently there will be cross-over - James T. Kirk will transfer to the Mirror Universe and become Tiberius Windu.

cimt 25-01-2013 14:40

I remember years ago I saw something that showed all of the similarities between both shows. I can't find it any more. Dammit.

He is a good choice. I think he actually grew up as a fan of Star Wars. I think I remember that annoying Trekkies when he was picked for Star Trek.

denphone 05-02-2013 17:52

Yoda not far, soon you will be with him – when his own Star Wars movie he has.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...tar-wars-movie

Quote:

An iconic figure he is, beloved of generations of children and adults alike. Now Yoda is rumoured to be getting his own spinoff movie as part of Disney's new series of Star Wars films.

News of the diminutive Jedi master's elevation from supporting character status comes courtesy of the US blog Ain't It Cool News, and follows the announcement of a new trilogy of Star Wars films after Disney purchased all rights to the series for $4.05bn last October.
Very interesting indeed.

Mr_love_monkey 05-02-2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35532463)
Yoda not far, soon you will be with him – when his own Star Wars movie he has.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...tar-wars-movie

Very interesting indeed.

I hope it's one from his college days where you see all the hi-jinx him and his frat buddies get up to in the hopes of gettin' some.

denphone 06-02-2013 09:49

Stand Alone Star Wars Films Confirmed By Disney this morning.

http://skymovies.sky.com/stand-alone...rmed-by-disney

LondonRoad 06-02-2013 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey (Post 35532477)
I hope it's one from his college days where you see all the hi-jinx him and his frat buddies get up to in the hopes of gettin' some.

It's already been done. It was on Television X last week. ;)

denphone 06-02-2013 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35532915)
It's already been done. It was on Television X last week. ;)

Now now this is a family forum.:nono::naughty:

denphone 07-02-2013 10:52

Star Wars spin-offs to include Han Solo and Boba Fett movies

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/star-w...ba-fett-movies

http://skymovies.sky.com/disney-plan...o-origin-story

denphone 15-02-2013 18:32

Is Harrison Ford Back For 'Star Wars'?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni47108454/

Hom3r 15-02-2013 20:52

I had a wookie burger last night, it was a bit Chewie :D

denphone 16-02-2013 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35537167)
I had a wookie burger last night, it was a bit Chewie :D

Was it 8 foot tall and 3 foot wide.:D

denphone 20-02-2013 18:03

Mark Hamill gives an update on Star Wars: Episode VII.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/mark-h...rs-episode-vii

Kymmy 21-02-2013 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35537111)
Is Harrison Ford Back For 'Star Wars'?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni47108454/

No reason why not, some of the later books are timelined at 45 years after episode 4. As I said in a previous post you could bring back most of the cast and they would fit in perfectly to the later novels..

Will21st 25-02-2013 21:11

There are ongoing talks with Hamill,Ford and Fisher but nothing concrete yet.The films have been confirmed 3D and Alfonso Cuaron is tipped to direct Episode 8 and maybe 9.

I would also not pay too much attention to the rumoured 'young Han Solo,Boba Fett and so on 'movies.....

Will21st 26-02-2013 07:46

There's also talk of two trilogies,at least at some point.