Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Uber licence revoked (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705423)

papa smurf 20-02-2021 10:17

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36071347)
Serves Uber right. There is a massive Silicon Valley arrogance that laws and taxes apply to other people and not them. They use technologies to centralise as much of the profit as possible to only a few hands whilst destroying countless other companies in their wake. They undercut everyone because they are willing to operate at a loss to dominate the market, they avoid paying tax and they exploit people.

Do/have you used their service?

1andrew1 20-02-2021 10:26

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071322)
I wouldn’t have expected anything else from you, jfman. A complete disregard for those people who have a brain and deliberately choose to earn their living on a flexible basis.

I don’t care what trade unions think. I prefer to listen to what those affected by their decisions think.

I know that is unthinkable to guys like you, who are irreversibly politically indoctrinated. So your reply is already anticipated. And by the way, I disagree. Response unnecessary. Good night.

This isn't about trade unions, Old Boy. This was a complaint raised by the Uber taxi drivers ie what "...those affected by their decisions think."

It's not beyond Uber to have a flexible working system that complies with the new ruling. Other taxi firms do.

The decision will mean more of a level playing field for small British taxi businesses. That can't be a bad thing and I speak as a pre-lockdown 1 Uber user. Uber brought innovation to the sector with their global app but that innovation can be disentangled from unfair competition and ripping contractors off.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36071347)
Serves Uber right. There is a massive Silicon Valley arrogance that laws and taxes apply to other people and not them. They use technologies to centralise as much of the profit as possible to only a few hands whilst destroying countless other companies in their wake. They undercut everyone because they are willing to operate at a loss to dominate the market, they avoid paying tax and they exploit people.

Just an example really of the way that the law is always a bit behind technology. It catches up in the end.

jfman 20-02-2021 10:45

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36071349)
This isn't about trade unions, Old Boy. This was a complaint raised by the Uber taxi drivers ie what "...those affected by their decisions think."

It's not beyond Uber to have a flexible working system that complies with the new ruling. Other taxi firms do.

The decision will mean more of a level playing field for small British taxi businesses. That can't be a bad thing and I speak as a pre-lockdown 1 Uber user. Uber brought innovation to the sector with their global app but that innovation can be disentangled from unfair competition and ripping contractors off.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------


Just an example really of the way that the law is always a bit behind technology. It catches up in the end.

Fundamentally OB doesn’t want a level playing field for British businesses, or agree with the principle that profits generated as a result of doing business in the UK (something a local taxi company has no option but to do) should be taxed in the UK. He’d much rather see the UK Treasury denied that revenue because it’s a step closer to his wet dream of hollowing out the role and function of the state by denying it tax revenue.

He’d much rather see the money used for better public services in the Netherlands than here, or worse siphoned offshore into a tax haven never to be seen again.

1andrew1 20-02-2021 11:00

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36071351)
Fundamentally OB doesnt want a level playing field for British businesses, or agree with the principle that profits generated as a result of doing business in the UK (something a local taxi company has no option but to do) should be taxed in the UK. Hed much rather see the UK Treasury denied that revenue because its a step closer to his wet dream of hollowing out the role and function of the state by denying it tax revenue.

Hed much rather see the money used for better public services in the Netherlands than here, or worse siphoned offshore into a tax haven never to be seen again.

I'll try and persuade Old Boy. "Come on Old Boy, let's keep those taxes in the UK and not send them to the EU!"

jfman 20-02-2021 11:21

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36071353)
I'll try and persuade Old Boy. "Come on Old Boy, let's keep those taxes in the UK and not send them to the EU!"

I'm not aware of the specifics of this case but on some level it's actually a positive that we are outside the EU if we want to take on these "big tech innovators" whose only innovation is to erode employment rights and avoid taxes.

A case like this would almost certainly end up in the European courts tied to cases across Europe and have competing interests making representations.

Now we get to tell them we're Great Britain and to naff off if they want to exploit workers, shift profits to other countries and put British businesses to the sword under the guise of competition.

Pierre 20-02-2021 16:09

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36071354)
I'm not aware of the specifics of this case but on some level it's actually a positive that we are outside the EU if we want to take on these "big tech innovators" whose only innovation is to erode employment rights and avoid taxes.

A case like this would almost certainly end up in the European courts tied to cases across Europe and have competing interests making representations.

Now we get to tell them we're Great Britain and to naff off if they want to exploit workers, shift profits to other countries and put British businesses to the sword under the guise of competition.

I am 100% behind taxing big tech, they need to be paying the right tax on any revenue gleamed from the U.K. and I agree that hopefully being o/s the EU may give us some tools to do that.

Paul 20-02-2021 19:20

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071304)
Try telling that to the punters when they see the consequences of this judgement.

What consequences ?

1andrew1 20-02-2021 21:22

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Some interesting insight by former student and Deliveroo rider "Oscar" on the FT website
Quote:

Their innovation is in regulatory arbitrage. For example, with Deliveroo many riders register as bicycle riders but deliver takeaways with a car. This means that they can evade paying commercial delivery insurance (very expensive), hence can undercut employed delivery drivers that work for restaurants. Deliveroo wash their hands, because their riders are "independent contractors", not employees...

Deliveroo even allows you to share your account as you're a "self employed contractor" - it is your prerogative if you wish to outsource the work... This means people with the right to work create an account, then rent this account out to someone who does not have the right to work (illegal migrants).

Damien 20-02-2021 22:07

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36071348)
Do/have you used their service?

I do but I always tip about 5 ;) Preferably in cash if i have it.

I would prefer if Uber stopped exploiting their drivers instead.

papa smurf 21-02-2021 08:45

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36071465)
I do but I always tip about 5 ;) Preferably in cash if i have it.

I would prefer if Uber stopped exploiting their drivers instead.

London prices:shocked:

The last tip i gave a Taxi driver was have a bath and buy some deodorant;)

Chris 21-02-2021 09:10

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Remember 5 only gets you a half of shandy in London.

papa smurf 21-02-2021 09:47

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36071479)
Remember 5 only gets you a half of shandy in London.

My first weeks wage as an apprentice was 5.

Mr K 21-02-2021 10:01

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36071480)
My first weeks wage as an apprentice was 5.

That was good money in 1922 ;)

papa smurf 21-02-2021 10:03

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36071481)
That was good money in 1922 ;)

Yea but it wasn't in 1972

1andrew1 21-02-2021 10:17

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36071482)
Yea but it wasn't in 1972

Equivalent to 57.69 pw or 3k a year in today's money. Enough to buy a street of houses back then! :D


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.