Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Does downgrading put you into a new contract? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706664)

RichardCoulter 04-08-2018 16:01

Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

Because of the removal of the UKTV channels, some people are downgrading their TV packages. I will probably downgrade to the 'free' package once I have a new OTT service in place for UKTV and the other pay channels that I want.

According to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nels-uktv-cost

VM are now saying that this entitles them to put you into a new contract!

Has anyone had experience of this? Is this new policy true, as even Sky don't do this?

Maybe it's CS staff talking BS again either off their own back or via orders from management. The customer was also informed that, if she downgraded, her bill would go up by £15!!

One good thing is that Ofcom have told providers that they want them to start writing to customers to inform them that they are coming to the end of their contract to prevent them overpaying.

pip08456 04-08-2018 16:39

Re: Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

I don't know about the legalities but common sense would suggest that if the terms of the contract change it effectively becomes a new contract.

Mythica 04-08-2018 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958149)
Because of the removal of the UKTV channels, some people are downgrading their TV packages. I will probably downgrade to the 'free' package once I have a new OTT service in place for UKTV and the other pay channels that I want.

According to this:

Has anyone had experience of this? Is this new policy true, as even Sky don't do this?

Maybe it's CS staff talking BS again either off their own back or via orders from management. The customer was also informed that, if she downgraded, her bill would go up by £15!!

One good thing is that Ofcom have told providers that they want them to start writing to customers to inform them that they are coming to the end of their contract to prevent them overpaying.

They wouldn't be overpaying at the end of their contract would they? The price remains the same or might go up to the correct price after loyalty discounts end.

Inactive Digital 04-08-2018 20:59

Think I've read on here that any change to your bundle puts you in a new minimum term. I doubt it would apply to premium channelsor add ons etc, just the basic bundle. Probably need Ben to bring his wisdom and clarify though.

OLD BOY 04-08-2018 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958149)

According to this:

Look, Richard, if you think you are so hard done by, change providers. Nobody is forcing you to stay with Virgin Media.

Customer Services may be freed up for the rest of us if you make the right decision. (Sorry!) :D

RichardCoulter 04-08-2018 21:12

This is a change in policy if it's now the case that changing any TV services now means that a new contract starts, it never used to be the case. All you had to do was give 30 days notice and even this wasnt rigorously enforced until Liberty Global bought VM.

I don't want to be put into a new contract, so may be forced to cancel altogether if they now do his (assuming that this is legal and/or correct). It seems very short sighted to try to keep doing things to force customers to stay, surely it would make better business sense for them to persuade customers to want to stay.

Hopefully Ben will see this and be able to shed some light on this. Either the newspaper has got this wrong or it's a new policy.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35958152)
They wouldn't be overpaying at the end of their contract would they? The price remains the same or might go up to the correct price after loyalty discounts end.

Common sense says that once out of contract a new discount should be negotiated. VM rely on people forgetting to do this, not doing so through inertia or other reasons.

A letter will serve as a very useful prompt to people with busy lives and could well be essential to those with some disabilities.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35958166)
Look, Richard, if you think you are so hard done by, change providers. Nobody is forcing you to stay with Virgin Media.

Customer Services may be freed up for the rest of us if you make the right decision. (Sorry!) :D

I'm growing tired of your unhelpful and snide comments.

OLD BOY 04-08-2018 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958167)
This is a change in policy if it's now the case that changing any TV services now means that a new contract starts, it never used to be the case. All you had to do was give 30 days notice and even this wasnt rigorously enforced until Liberty Global bought VM.

I don't want to be put into a new contract, so may be forced to cancel altogether if they now do his (assuming that this is legal and/or correct). It seems very short sighted to try to keep doing things to force customers to stay, surely it would make better business sense for them to persuade customers to want to stay.

Hopefully Ben will see this and be able to shed some light on this. Either the newspaper has got this wrong or it's a new policy.

Common sense says that once out of contract a new discount should be negotiated. VM rely on people forgetting to do this, not doing so through inertia or other reasons.

A letter will serve as a very useful prompt to people with busy lives and could well be essential to those with some disabilities.

I am not aiming to be unhelpful, Richard, I am just trying to demonstrate to you the futility of your rage. If you are so upset by Virgin Media's treatment of you, change to Sky.

Why can you not bring yourself to do this?

Instead of constantly whingeing and threatening legal action, just take the plunge.

I am sure you will be much happier with Sky.

:erm:

RichardCoulter 04-08-2018 21:32

It appears that VM may have changed their policy of putting customers into a new contract when TV is downgraded. I am trying to ascertain if this is true of not. Nothing to do with any type of "rage". Where have you got that notion from? How is this "whinging" as you rudely put it?

Once again, as has been explained to you on numerous occasions, I am still in contract and VM will not allow me to leave without penalty. It now appears that if I downgrade that they may try to force me to stay with them for even longer.

Again, as has repeatedly been explained to you, there is no certainty that I will move to Sky. It appears that nothing sinks in that people say to you. As another member recently pointed out, you carry on going round and round and round in circles and coming out with the same things time and again.

You really do appear to revel in causing disagreements by being contrary for the sake of it. Paul has previously told you off for petty bickering with others in the past and I suggest that you take heed.

OLD BOY 04-08-2018 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958176)
It appears that VM may have changed their policy of putting customers into a new contract when TV is downgraded. I am trying to ascertain if this is true of not. Nothing to do with any type of "rage". Where have you got that notion from? How is this "whinging" as you rudely put it?

Once again, as has been explained to you on numerous occasions, I am still in contract and VM will not allow me to leave without penalty. It now appears that if I downgrade that they may try to force me to stay with them for even longer.

Again, as has repeatedly been explained to you, there is no certainty that I will move to Sky. It appears that nothing sinks in that people say to you. As another member recently pointed out, you carry on going round and round and round in circles and coming out with the same things time and again.

You really do appear to revel in causing disagreements by being contrary for the sake of it. Paul has previously told you off for petty bickering with others in the past and I suggest that you take heed.

No, Richard. This is not personal. I am simply responding to points you make with which I happen to disagree.

I accept you are currently in contract, but you know as well as I do that with the next price rise, you will be able to unshackle yourself.

And yet again, you will fail to do so.

There really is no point in continuing to moan about your supplier when all you have to do is change that supplier.

Mythica 04-08-2018 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958167)

But that wasn't what I wrote in reply to you.

You stated that they will be forced to write to the customer near the end of the contract so they don't overpay. What will they be overpaying? If the loyalty or new customer discount has ran out, they'd be paying the going rate of the services that VM offer.

Mr K 04-08-2018 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35958193)
But that wasn't what I wrote in reply to you.

You stated that they will be forced to write to the customer near the end of the contract so they don't overpay. What will they be overpaying? If the loyalty or new customer discount has ran out, they'd be paying the going rate of the services that VM offer.

Argue with Ofcom, not Richard. They are the ones saying providers should contact customers when a contract runs out. Sound consumer protection. As we know paying the 'going rate' is vastly overpaying.

Mythica 04-08-2018 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35958194)
Argue with Ofcom, not Richard. They are the ones saying providers should contact customers when a contract runs out. Sound consumer protection. As we know paying the 'going rate' is vastly overpaying.

I was taking it up with Richard as he posted it, that's what discussion forums are for. Paying the going rate is paying the going rate, if you are getting a discount then you are getting it cheaper.

Maggy 05-08-2018 09:54

How about we all answer the question and keep to the actual topic and be nice.

Mythica 05-08-2018 12:44

I thought I had?

ozsat 05-08-2018 13:37

I've always found it is the acceptance of an offer which will tie you in to a new contract - not just changing the tier of the subscription.

It is not uncommon for the charge to go up if you remove something because of the way things are bundled.