Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707507)

OLD BOY 08-07-2019 09:24

Re: Brexit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36001799)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8991351.html

These views may have been influenced by the fact we’ve moved from

"easiest deal in the world"

to

"" Determined to leave come what may"

I would point out that we already have a deal with the EU ready to go. We would also be able to get the backstop sorted out if Parliament did not keep interfering with our negotiating position.

Hugh 08-07-2019 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36001800)
I would point out that we already have a deal with the EU ready to go. We would also be able to get the backstop sorted out if Parliament did not keep interfering with our negotiating position.

I would point out that under our system of Government, it’s Parliament’s role (and responsibility) to check and challenge the work of the Government, make and change laws, check and approve Government spending, and to debate the important issues of the day.

In most places, the negotiating position is agreed by the internal groups, before being presented to the external parties - that way, you don’t have this kerfuffle...

TheDaddy 08-07-2019 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36001793)
The article I posted was essentially about the UK's obligation to bail out countries of the Eurozone in the event of a financial crash. The fishing issue was the very last part of that article, which was not my focus.

My comment to you was in relation to your comment about foreign ownership of our fishing fleets, so no need to get your knickers in a twist.

No you posted an article with not a scintilla of truth in it, then you clumsily tried to move away from your articles rubbish about quotas we've already sold of attempting to make it about jobs instead, which is equally as ludicrous when you consider half Northern Ireland's quota is gobbled up by a single trawler, how many jobs is that, how big is this trawler and finally in typical brexit fashion when you're called out for talking rubbish you try and blame me for it, it'd be hilarious if people with power and responsibility weren't doing the exact same thing to absolve themselves of responsibility and accountability for the things they say and have said

pip08456 08-07-2019 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36001812)
No you posted an article with not a scintilla of truth in it, then you clumsily tried to move away from your articles rubbish about quotas we've already sold of attempting to make it about jobs instead, which is equally as ludicrous when you consider half Northern Ireland's quota is gobbled up by a single trawler, how many jobs is that, how big is this trawler and finally in typical brexit fashion when you're called out for talking rubbish you try and blame me for it, it'd be hilarious if people with power and responsibility weren't doing the exact same thing to absolve themselves of responsibility and accountability for the things they say and have said

You forget when we exit the EU we will control the quotas. NI may then have 2 trawlers.

OLD BOY 08-07-2019 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36001803)
I would point out that under our system of Government, it’s Parliament’s role (and responsibility) to check and challenge the work of the Government, make and change laws, check and approve Government spending, and to debate the important issues of the day.

In most places, the negotiating position is agreed by the internal groups, before being presented to the external parties - that way, you don’t have this kerfuffle...

Well, Parliament has made a complete hash of it, and I think most people would agree with me.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36001812)

I didn't try to move away from anything. If you read my post again, you will see that I was using the link to support the point about bailouts. I did not say anything about fishing quotas at all, but that was mentioned at the end of the link I provided.

I rhen commented on your point about ownership, explaining that it did not matter who owned the rights as long as they used British fishermen.

Who rattled your cage, anyway? No need to get so indignant.

ianch99 08-07-2019 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36001510)
And as per usual, I see you fail to highlight nothing absolutely wrong with the Lib Dem’s mantra and profanity laden attire.

Do you mean like this post of mine?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=3769

Quote:

I agree the LibDem stunt was just childish however the Brexit Party actions were just disrespectful

TheDaddy 08-07-2019 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36001816)
Well, Parliament has made a complete hash of it, and I think most people would agree with me.

I didn't try to move away from anything. If you read my post again, you will see that I was using the link to support the point about bailouts. I did not say anything about fishing quotas at all, but that was mentioned at the end of the link I provided.

I rhen commented on your point about ownership, explaining that it did not matter who owned the rights as long as they used British fishermen.

The point about bail outs that proved to be completely false you mean, perhaps I am wrong to keep blaming you but the real culprits aren't here, I've just been listening to another of them, MEP for Yorkshire and Humber Lucy Harris, she basically claimed all leavers knew they were voting to be poorer for 30 years, all leavers knew this and whilst I'm paraphrasing a tiny bit if you listen to her interview, I'm not that much!

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36001815)
You forget when we exit the EU we will control the quotas. NI may then have 2 trawlers.

Keep that quiet Pip or people might start calling it the brexit dividend

ianch99 08-07-2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36001799)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8991351.html

These views may have been influenced by the fact we’ve moved from

"easiest deal in the world"

to

"" Determined to leave come what may"

All part of the populist revisionism. I suspect Historians are planning books on this period in our history as we speak.

I have just come back from a weekend in Brussels. Really nice place to visit, very friendly people who make the most excellent beer :)

We visited the House of European History which is next door to the Parliament building. Fascinating discussion on how Europe has evolved over the centuries.

I didn't raise the subject of Brexit .. just too embarrassing ..

Hugh 08-07-2019 13:57

Quote:

The Government made a hash of it (by not involving anyone outside the Government), not Parliament.

Who do the public blame? The Government (mostly).

https://capx.co/who-does-the-public-...e-brexit-mess/
Quote:

Ipsos MORI’s latest poll, conducted Saturday to Wednesday, also asked who would be held responsible in the event of a no deal Brexit, with respondents asked to choose two or three options from a list of who would be responsible.

This presented a less encouraging picture for the government, with almost half (48 per cent, up 13 points since December) saying that they would be to blame, and about a third (35 per cent, up 4) saying Tory MPs, just ahead of the EU (32 per cent, up 5).

Brexit campaigners would be blamed by 28 per cent (down 7), still above Remain campaigners (23 per cent, up 9) although the gap between them is much smaller. Labour was also on 23 per cent (up 4) and other parties were unchanged on 10 per cent.

OLD BOY 08-07-2019 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy;36001821[B
]The point about bail outs that proved to be completely false you mean, [/B]perhaps I am wrong to keep blaming you but the real culprits aren't here, I've just been listening to another of them, MEP for Yorkshire and Humber Lucy Harris, she basically claimed all leavers knew they were voting to be poorer for 30 years, all leavers knew this and whilst I'm paraphrasing a tiny bit if you listen to her interview, I'm not that much!

I get it that you believe one link over another.

As for Lucy Harris, I don't know where she is coming from and I certainly don't believe that Britain will be poorer for the next 30 years! That was one hell of a gaffe.

There will be some downsides, but there are plenty of upsides ready to be exploited. As I've said before, it is difficult to be precise because everything depends on our entrepreneurs and government initiatives. I must say that I like some of the things Boris has been saying about that recently, despite the worries I have about Boris himself.

With support for businesses and the right level of taxation, there will be a lot of new wealth created. If Singapore can do it, so can we, and tax free ports is a good start.

Hugh 08-07-2019 16:30

Singapore - population 5.6 million, size 280 square miles (approx. 20x14 miles in size).

U.K. - population 67 million, size 94,000 square miles.

Singapore is less than half the size of London, is a one party state with draconian laws - no thanks...

Pierre 08-07-2019 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36001831)
Singapore - population 5.6 million, size 280 square miles (approx. 20x14 miles in size).

U.K. - population 67 million, size 94,000 square miles.

Singapore is less than half the size of London, is a one party state with draconian laws - no thanks...

1andrew1 08-07-2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36001828)
I get it that you believe one link over another.

As for Lucy Harris, I don't know where she is coming from and I certainly don't believe that Britain will be poorer for the next 30 years! That was one hell of a gaffe.

There will be some downsides, but there are plenty of upsides ready to be exploited. As I've said before, it is difficult to be precise because everything depends on our entrepreneurs and government initiatives. I must say that I like some of the things Boris has been saying about that recently, despite the worries I have about Boris himself.

With support for businesses and the right level of taxation, there will be a lot of new wealth created. If Singapore can do it, so can we, and tax free ports is a good start.

As I posted earlier, business is not crying out for tax cuts. They want bureaucracy-free, speedy access to Europe and freedom of movement. The latter is starting to be heard now that Theresa May is in the departure lounge but the former is still a threat.
Not unreasonable for anyone to favour two fact-checking websites over a piece in an anti-EU newspaper.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36001820)
Do you mean like this post of mine?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=3769

Your detractors could do worse than take a leaf out of your book on presenting a balanced perspective.

denphone 08-07-2019 18:32

Quote:

Its more like the perpetual internecine civil war within the Conservative party which frankly made things pretty well impossible to come to a cohesion agreement facilitating our withdrawal from the EU..

papa smurf 08-07-2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36001824)
All part of the populist revisionism. I suspect Historians are planning books on this period in our history as we speak.

I have just come back from a weekend in Brussels. Really nice place to visit, very friendly people who make the most excellent beer :)

We visited the House of European History which is next door to the Parliament building. Fascinating discussion on how Europe has evolved over the centuries.

I didn't raise the subject of Brexit .. just too embarrassing ..

One last look before Armageddon eh.