Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General Entertainment (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What part of your music collection are you most proud of? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711199)

Dude111 26-07-2022 14:01

I am most proud of having most stuff in pure analogue which sounds the nicest :)

peanut 26-07-2022 14:12

Re: What part of your music collection are you most proud of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36129517)
I am most proud of having most stuff in pure analogue which sounds the nicest :)

For curiosity sake.. What speakers do you have? Make and model Number?

Dude111 26-07-2022 14:26

I listen to my cassettes,VHS,8 tracks and my online stuff IN MONO :)

I have a sony tuner with 1 speaker mate...... Its an 80s speaker and to me sounds beautiful :)

peanut 26-07-2022 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36129528)

I have a sony tuner with 1 speaker mate...... Its an 80s speaker and to me sounds beautiful :)

Do you only have 1 ear something?

heero_yuy 26-07-2022 17:38

One of few pressings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in SQ (quadraphonic)

The airplane crash from "On The Run" is amazing: It comes in from the rear, flies right over the top of you to smash down front and centre. Then the rumbles echo back round to the rear speakers.

I only had the chance a couple of times to set the whole quad thing up with my (Technics Linear Phase SB5000) for the fronts and my fathers big speakers for the rears in our lounge at the time.

All those clocks in full quad. :D

peanut 26-07-2022 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36129548)
One of few pressings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in SQ (quadraphonic)

The airplane crash from "On The Run" is amazing: It comes in from the rear, flies right over the top of you to smash down front and centre. Then the rumbles echo back round to the rear speakers.

I only had the chance a couple of times to set the whole quad thing up with my (Technics Linear Phase SB5000) for the fronts and my fathers big speakers for the rears in our lounge at the time.

All those clocks in full quad. :D

The beginning of 'Money' is very good in quad. The version I have doesn't have centre, just front left and right and back left and right.

Jaymoss 26-07-2022 20:50

Quote:

How? you are losing all the soundstage

I do not really have a collection any more I just have playlists on Tidal

GrimUpNorth 26-07-2022 21:06

Quote:

One day you'll have to move on. I cut my teeth using analogue gear but now days everything's digital. I still prefer my audio in a lossless format and you won't catch me using Bluetooth headphones if I can help it but analogue from start to finish with no digital somewhere in the process is pretty unusual.

Dude111 27-07-2022 01:42

Yes everything is digital crap now which I do not like!!!!

Digital video is flat and disgusting and digital audio sucks also!!

I am grateful to have what I have :)

SnoopZ 27-07-2022 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36129584)

Have you thought about getting your eyes tested and some hearing aids? You can borrow both of mine if you want. :D

Qtx 27-07-2022 17:08

Quote:

That's akin to liking the sound of the exhaust on your 1970's Ferrari but never driving it above 3 mph!

The sound of Vinyl is unique and something I enjoy.

Recently took a look at my huge CD collection gathering dust, which I had not listened to or touched in years as everything is either on my NAS or Spotify, and ended up getting rid of all of them. A whole suitcase full.

I can be a bit of a hoarder so if I had gone through them one by one I would have ended up keeping the majority of them. Quite refreshing to not have to worry about them anymore and they would have just gathered dust until the end of day and as CD's don't last forever, I doubt they would have ever been worth anything either.

GrimUpNorth 27-07-2022 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 36129625)
That's akin to liking the sound of the exhaust on your 1970's Ferrari but never driving it above 3 mph!

Recently took a look at my huge CD collection gathering dust, which I had not listened to or touched in years as everything is either on my NAS or Spotify, and ended up getting rid of all of them. A whole suitcase full.

I can be a bit of a hoarder so if I had gone through them one by one I would have ended up keeping the majority of them. Quite refreshing to not have to worry about them anymore and they would have just gathered dust until the end of day and as CD's don't last forever, I doubt they would have ever been worth anything either.

I've got an old Nagra IV in the garage, think I'll follow your lead and look to get rid of it as I'm never going to use it, even if I could still remember how.

Dude111 27-07-2022 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx

Yes and I have an 8track set called "The original hit performances of the late 30s - Early 50s and on the first cartridge (Late 30s to mid 40s) it sounds like most of the songs were taken directly off the record!!!!!

I can tell when "If I didnt care" (Ink Spots) comes on thats playing from the record!!

It sounds insanely goregous!! (As does the records I have of this set)

Halcyon 01-08-2022 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36129584)

I completly respect your choice of music listening media and agree that in some cases sound that is digital can seem either over processed or with no variation in the instrument volume levels, however... There are plenty of recordings that have sound levels absolutely spot on.

Not only will you introduce more noise in analogue recordings, but everytime you are playing a tape or vinyl you are effectivaely making the recording worse. (Stretched tape, wearing out the vinyl).

And as for digital video......If you cant see the difference between anologue lines and millions of pixels then you need your eyes testing.
Brighter colours, Millions more pixels creates a much sharper and vibrant image.
IF we are talking converting from analogue to digital, you may be better off with an old anaologue recording from a quality perspective. This would depend on how it is converted and compression, etc.
However your anaolgue recordings will worsen over time.

Paul 01-08-2022 13:57

I have just over 100 music DVDs, but TBH, I could not tell you what year I last listened to any of them.

I have almost 1000 vinyl singles in my loft (from the 1980's) and nothing I could even play them on (assuming I got them down).